Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When?
1-15 May 1 1.85%
16-31 May 10 18.52%
1-15 June 13 24.07%
16-30 June 14 25.93%
1 July or later 16 29.63%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 03:56 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Go to Australia and most people there will tell you that NZ has a crap climate. By your logic there's a sense of consistency to those views that cannot be ignored, therefore it is the truth.
In comparison it does, if you like a warmer, sunnier climate, then it's not really debatable.

I'm always much more interested in the views of Australians that have been here though, for obvious reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 04:04 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
In comparison it does, if you like a warmer sunnier climate -not really debatable.

I'm always much more interested in the views of Australians that have been here though.
Well people who've go to travel in New Zealand, which is a very isolated place and therefore quite a commitment if you are planning on travelling there, presumably do so because they are fond of the place, and are naturally more likely to have a positive opinion of it, same with travelling Brits.

Regardless, these anecdotal arguments are just silly. It's your way of ignoring empirical evidence because in your mind NZ is always #1, even if compared to near identical climates it will always emerge as the clear winner in your eyes.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:04 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Comparing London with Stornoway is like comparing Nice with Le Havre.
That much is true. I remember coming back to SE England after having experienced a week of shocking weather in Scotland; between the 51N sun and the 23°C temps I thought I had already reached the Med.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:09 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,370,816 times
Quote:
That's a very unusual experience, and one that is no way similar to my experience over about the last 40 years of being a weather buff. I've heard everything from overheard snippets, to long discussion with people very interested and informed on the climate over there. Contrary to what some are saying on here, not all are dismissive of the British climate, but in the end, the myriad of views and opinions have a consistency about them that I don't ignore.
The British climate ...
The NZ climate ......

both countries climates vary too much to lump together and compare - i was comparing the south coast resorts Joe as that seems to be the close match with many of your towns . They have coolish summers ,mild winters and are quite sunny .

Comparing NZ,and even your own town to Portugal and Spain though is going some

Your town (Nelson- which i have figs for ) is a slightly colder version of La Rochelle in Mid Coastal France - your town is somewhat wetter as well . As close as i can find . Portsmouth/Southsea isn't a million miles off

Old 05-22-2017, 04:14 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
The British climate ...
The NZ climate ......

both countries climates vary too much to lump together and compare - i was comparing the south coast resorts Joe as that seems to be the close match with many of your towns . They have coolish summers ,mild winters and are quite sunny .

Your town (Nelson- which i have figs for ) is a slightly colder version of La Rochelle in Mid Coastal France - your town is somewhat wetter as well . As close as i can find . Portsmouth/Southsea isn't a million miles off
I can understand putting forward a case for the winters, since they are warmer and brighter than the UK's, no doubt. But I think he's being silly with some of these summer comparisons. Neither here nor there in many cases, yet the NZ climates always win because he's just biased towards them.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
So because they don't say it, it means it doesn't have it?

Okay, I will regard them as all liars from now on.

And yet, Wellington is warmer than Motueka in summer .... could it be that factors other than temperature make Motueka more desirable during summer

Well, that's just what the many Londoners here say, although it's been pointed out that they were most likely lying.
They are not liars as such .maybe fantasists - just a sheer belief - same as a religous belief . You can't call a religious person a liar really can you ?

They believe in what they see and feel . Not facts .

Some folk come back from Greece in the summer and swear it was 120 F lol and not the actual 90F - are they liars ? fantasists ?

Old 05-22-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I can understand putting forward a case for the winters, since they are warmer and brighter than the UK's, no doubt. But I think he's being silly with some of these summer comparisons. Neither here nor there in many cases, yet the NZ climates always win because he's just biased towards them.
I think he is one of those fantasists myself ,but in reverse

Old 05-22-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
The British climate ...
The NZ climate ......

Porto's high is 1.2 C higher than Motueka's high over the year, while Motueka is 1.6C higher than la rochelle. Sunshine is about the same for Motueka and Porto. Not sure if the sea temps stas are right, but NOAA data says Motueka has the higher summer sea temperature than Porto? Sounds like my climate is more like Oporto

Old 05-22-2017, 04:48 PM

I have it on good authority that Christchurch suffers from perishing cold easterlies ? how true is this Joe ?

Old 05-22-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I have it on good authority that Christchurch suffers from perishing cold easterlies ? how true is this Joe ?
In my posts over the years, I sometimes refer to the east coast curse -easterlies. Very unpleasant -can empty the street on a sunny day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather