Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Just out of curiosity... What is your relationship to weather?
I am a weather professional making a living in the field. 2 3.13%
I am a pilot (or seaman) and weather is very important to my line of work 3 4.69%
I am just a hobbyist, and weather fascinates me. 40 62.50%
I have no professional or hobby interest, just casual observations. 10 15.63%
Other 9 14.06%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 08:04 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity... What is your relationship to weather? If there are others beside Pilots or Seaman who are very Dependant on weather - without being a weather professional, please select option 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 08:21 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,950,825 times
Hobbyist, and seriously considering making a living in it. Not sure yet though.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:57 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,003,466 times
I study Geography in the Federal University here, so it is a important line to me.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:11 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
I teach meteorology as an adjunct professor at the local community college for the past fourteen years as well as command an earth-orbiting atmospheric research satellite instrument. That is until about six weeks ago at which time I retired.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-06-2017, 11:04 AM

13,479 posts, read 9,020,662 times
Hobbyist & have been keeping weather records wherever I have lived for over 20 years. My PWS here in Malta is used by an independent weather forecasting company & its data has even been used in an article by a US meteorologist on the 2014 'Medicane' we had. It is also a Wunderground 'Gold Star' station which meets their own quality control checks

Old 05-06-2017, 11:36 AM

5,036 posts, read 4,350,891 times
Hobbyist. My job has nothing to do with weather.

My fascination with weather started during childhood. I liked looking at weather maps and statistics. I was terrified of tornadoes, but enjoyed watching programs about them. During high school I was only semi-interested in weather. My interest in weather started to increase again during college, and I've been deeply fascinated by weather since graduating from college. I've always been interested in geography.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:45 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
I can't really say my work is dependent on weather, as most of the time I just work on regardless -this year has seen me working during 40C+temperatures, strong wind,,torrential rain, and thunderstorms.

Part of my (non work) income is weather dependent though, and actually took a bit of a weather hit just a few days ago. Although, there is little I can do about that, even if I do know what weather is coming.

I think my interest just comes from spending so much time outside, but I'll still choose the pilot/seaman option.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:59 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Just a hobby for me but very fascinated by different climates and how they work. I still remember looking at the climate statistics of Australia's major cities and being shocked at how mild they are in the winter. My father had a good friend who moved from Sydney to Canada for a while and I remember him telling my dad and me that the climate there was the same as here but with the seasons reversed. Boy I was shocked when I looked at the stats and then later visited Sydney in person... Definitely not the opposite and much more agreeable than here.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:30 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Hobbyist. But I Wish I had a nickle for every post. lol

Been a passion of mine since I was like 8yrs old. In fact I used to hand write weather Observations as a kid. I don't remember why I put stars next to it. Maybe it was an interesting day? Was living in southern NY at the time. NYC Suburb near the water. In fact 1986 was the year of Hurricane Gloria which got me more intrigued about weather & climate.

Old 05-06-2017, 04:36 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
My sister used to make fun of me because I used to always have The Weather Channel on. I took a "what job should I have" survey a few years ago and it said I should be an accountant or a meteorologist. Weather fascinates me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather