Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2017, 06:53 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,618,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
There are places in eastern Italy on the Adriatic sea with colder winters than Victoria, though technically those are Cfa climates, but to say that a PNW winter is impossible in the Mediterranean basin, that is wrong.

City: Coldest Month Mean
Venice: 3.3 C
Rimini: 4.0 C
Ancona: 5.3 C
Trieste: 5.4 C
Pescara: 6.1 C

Vancouver: 4.1 C
Porltand: 4.7 C
Seattle: 4.8 C
Tacoma: 5 C
Port Townsend: 5.2 C
Victoria: 6.1 C

So winters are not an issue, it's the summers that are much cooler, particularly the nights, the only one that could pass for a climate on the Adriatic would be Portland, but still summer nights are much cooler.
Ávila, Csb, coldest month mean: 3.0ºC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81vila,_Spain#Climate is there any Csb climate with a colder mean in January/February ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
I like that Burgos climate very much - Avila a little dry .
Oh ,really? I don't know why but I thought that you preferred tropical climates. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 07:09 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
Ávila, Csb, coldest month mean: 3.0ºC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81vila,_Spain#Climate is there any Csb climate with a colder mean in January/February ?

Oh ,really? I don't know why but I thought that you preferred tropical climates. lol
well theoretically the coldest would be 0 C, any colder than that it will transition to the Dsb a good example of this is Dayton, WA with a Jan mean of 0.7 C, it's right on the cusp of being Csb/Csa/Dsb/Dsa

Old 05-11-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
well theoretically the coldest would be 0 C, any colder than that it will transition to the Dsb a good example of this is Dayton, WA with a Jan mean of 0.7 C, it's right on the cusp of being Csb/Csa/Dsb/Dsa
wow, a really interesting climate!

Old 05-11-2017, 07:23 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,369,890 times
Quote:

Tropical good but Burgos, a little heat , a little snow ,a little rain and decent amounts of sunshine - almost perfect

Old 05-11-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Mangoes i don't know if they grow there or not - why not if there is no frost to kill them ?
Oh sorry mate I forgot to answer this. In Tropical plants I was mostly meaning for species of palms and plants, but actually they are more subtropical than tropical.

Mangoes can't grow there (Scilly) because there is a lack of warmth. Same for Howeas and other (sub)tropical species.

Also some subtropical species: avocados, oranges, tangerines, etc. Maybe lemons can grow, but i'm not sure at all.

Quote:
Tropical good but Burgos, a little heat , a little snow ,a little rain and decent amounts of sunshine - almost perfect
wow interesting! so Burgos is an A from your part?

Old 05-11-2017, 10:24 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
I am sure if any citrus can grow in a place like Victoria or Scilly, it would be lemons because summer heat is not required to sweeten the fruit.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:46 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I am sure if any citrus can grow in a place like Victoria or Scilly, it would be lemons because summer heat is not required to sweeten the fruit.
Most lemons aren't sweet anyway, so that would make them easier to grow. Lemonades are an exception- they are tasty and sweet.

Most citrus don't require much heat and do well in cool summer climates.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:40 AM

115 posts, read 160,539 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_...oe,_California

Old 05-12-2017, 03:58 PM

13,484 posts, read 9,024,194 times
Quote:
Oh sorry mate I forgot to answer this. In Tropical plants I was mostly meaning for species of palms and plants, but actually they are more subtropical than tropical.

Mangoes can't grow there (Scilly) because there is a lack of warmth. Same for Howeas and other (sub)tropical species.

Also some subtropical species: avocados, oranges, tangerines, etc. Maybe lemons can grow, but i'm not sure at all.

wow interesting! so Burgos is an A from your part?
Tresco Abbey garden on the Isles of Scilly does have Howea's growing there & they do not need heat at all. They did have mature Archontophoenix too but they were killed in the winter of 1987, so they have younger palms there now.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Tresco Abbey garden on the Isles of Scilly does have Howea's growing there & they do not need heat at all. They did have mature Archontophoenix too but they were killed in the winter of 1987, so they have younger palms there now.
any pic about this pls? I would love to see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather