Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Climate Battle: British Columbia vs. The British Isles
British Columbia 56 84.85%
British Isles 10 15.15%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 11:22 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,371,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Teignmouth climate information - Met Office

The nearest station to Torquay, and as it's only 8 miles away and in the coast, it's probably exactly the same.
Winter in the SW is horrible. Particularly down in Cornwall. It's just rain wind and fog, and occasionally the sun comes out. I spent a bit of time at Culdrose, and I have to say it's just awful.

It depends where you are - some areas of SW are horrible - correct - windy ,wet ,cloudy ...as you'd expect .

Torquay is sheltered and also has much lower rainfall totals than most - seems to be the SE dry zone border .

Sun hours not great in winter but not disastrous and still very mild - so when sunny and 8 -12c it feels very pleasant ,albeit
for short durations .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 11:24 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,818,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
Yes - Ipswich has the most 'continental' climate in the UK and mirrors towns in northern France almost to the exact detail . Not that they're very continental either

Winter nights here must be some of the coldest anywhere at sea level in the UK - Ipswich in summer on the other hand (as far as i know) is the only 23c /220 sun hrs combo location ,which is interesting (now that Colchester is a dead station )

North West obviously milder in winter and slightly cooler summers with added rain for good measure . You will have to do a mirror of your location around the world and see which is closer
Is the Bergholt station the best one for Ipswich? As an inland location, it's certainly up there with London for warmest summer weather. Personally I prefer Portsmouth to anywhere else in the UK, purely for the extra sunshine whilst having warmer summers than other coastal locations. And I lived there, so I'm probably a bit biased! Play up Pompey!

Old 05-30-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
How sheltered is Teignmouth? This drone footage show's that Torquay is in a very sheltered location:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtncPpCaOCI
Teigmouth is more open Razza .

Old 05-30-2017, 11:28 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,818,168 times
Quote:
It depends where you are - some areas of SW are horrible - correct - windy ,wet ,cloudy ...as you'd expect .

Torquay is sheltered and also has much lower rainfall totals than most - seems to be the SE dry zone border .

Sun hours not great in winter but not disastrous and still very mild - so when sunny and 8 -12c it feels very pleasant ,albeit
for short durations .
It still gets 900mm of rain, which is still pretty wet even by English standards. I'm sure Cornwall is much worse though. It seems to get worse the further south you go there. Exeter imo is about the best place in Devon and Cornwall.

Sunny means absolutely nothing in an English winter as you can barely even feel the sun. It has no warming effect whatsoever.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Is the Bergholt station the best one for Ipswich? As an inland location, it's certainly up there with London for warmest summer weather. Personally I prefer Portsmouth to anywhere else in the UK, purely for the extra sunshine whilst having warmer summers than other coastal locations. And I lived there, so I'm probably a bit biased! Play up Pompey!
You'll think i'm having a laugh now - but i lived in Pompey for a little while -an ex ladyfriend in Havant so i know that area well .

Porstmouth is better than Ipswich climate wise -i think so . The sun hours is the deciding factor - 200 more of the buggers

rainfall difference not noticable - and i like rain anyway -just not in winter drizzle form

Old 05-30-2017, 11:35 AM

Razza - how do you find the climate of Chester ? is it up your street ?

Old 05-30-2017, 11:45 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,925,140 times
Quote:
Razza - how do you find the climate of Chester ? is it up your street ?
I live near Wrexham and work in Chester. I haven't found any noticeable differences between the two climates.

It's difficult to measure it against anywhere else since I haven't lived elsewhere for an extended period of time. I've had holidays abroad but obliviously the difference between here and say, the Algarve, is pretty stark

The stats suggest it's very similar to where Dean lives.

Last edited by Razza94; 05-30-2017 at 11:53 AM..

Old 05-30-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
It still gets 900mm of rain, which is still pretty wet even by English standards. I'm sure Cornwall is much worse though. It seems to get worse the further south you go there. Exeter imo is about the best place in Devon and Cornwall.

Sunny means absolutely nothing in an English winter as you can barely even feel the sun. It has no warming effect whatsoever.

but you could ,and you can even in inland towns such as yours - the sun when it shines in winter can feel warm . ... there were many nice days in Torquay during the winter . Maybe because of it's sheltered position it felt warmer too ??? something that doesn't show up on data , even 9c days felt pleasant .

Exeter is a junk climate imo

Old 05-30-2017, 11:53 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
I go by folks reactions - and folk HATE 2 and 3c with rain -it is considered vile .
Anecdotal evidence?

Old 05-30-2017, 11:54 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,925,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Anecdotal evidence?
I know, screw that crap! The stats speak for themselves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather