Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 02:50 PM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

State College in PA seeking volunteers

NWS State College Is Now Accepting Applications For Student Volunteers for Spring 2018

Quote:
We are seeking college students to volunteer at our office this coming spring semester.

The goal of our Student Volunteer Program is to allow the volunteer to gain experience in the operations of a National Weather Service Forecast Office.

Some values of volunteering at NOAA/NWS as a student include:
  • Gaining insight into operational meteorology that will help you better understand how the meteorology courses you are taking apply to a real work environment
  • Gaining insight into how the NWS operates, which can help you learn what future research and tools need to be developed in order to advance the science of meteorology and its applications
  • Gaining insight into NWS systems operations and data collection that can help you whether you choose a future in the public or private sector, including research, development, and application of meteorology
  • Work experience to include on your resume and make you more marketable
  • Potential for college course credits through independent study.
  • Establishing valuable contacts and references while gaining help perfecting your resume
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 02:41 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
I realize this is an old thread...but just recently searched and saw this and since I am employed by NWS for a long time I can offer some info

1. People are not quitting the NWS. Yes a few do, due to marriage, lifestyle changes, etc. But the gap is due to retirements and then for reasons unknown an extremely slow hiring process from the time of the job bid, to selection, to the very long background checks, to then moving. With the rapid increase in social media, DSS (disaster support services) for various organizations, etc workload has increased and spread out over various new ways, and the hiring process behind those retiring was very very slow. Some offices were down 5-7 people, and with requirements of always 2 people on a shift (due to health/safety reasons) and just normal severe summer/winter weather when more staff is needed many people have felt burnt out. Not to mention increased training requirements and lack of time to do them.

2. With the recent hiring wave in the past couple months and on-going and in the near future ahead, it is hoped the number of people coming in will at least be closer to those retiring. With the modernization the NWS went through in the 1990s, many were hired in that boom time (late 80s-mid 90s) and the first wave of retirements of these folks are soon coming, esp those with military experience whose years in the military combine with NWS can allow them to retire with fewer years in the NWS.

3. Operational meteorologists work rotating shifts, as do most weather jobs....except perhaps TV and other more M-F industries. What the government job has provided over the years as compared to the private sector is overall better pay and better benefits. Competition to get into the entry level NWS positions is extremely intense, from those out of college to those in private sector wanting to move in to the NWS.

4. General benefits is that the govt does may a portion of our health insurance...certainly not all....we pay a portion. Also a decent retirement annuity program. as you move up you do get increased hours of annual leave you can use for whatever purposes. I earn 8 hours of paid leave each 2 weeks....but the last two years I have not been able to use all the leave I acquired (there is a maximum amount you can carryover at the end of the year). Thus I lost the hours or I gave them to someone in medical need in the NWS who has ran out of leave.

5. Over the years, there have been much talk about doing more with less. IE hiring 1 for every 2/3 retirements. Better modeling leading to a more push/button philosophy to forecasting, esp on quiet days. This talk ebbs and flows, but no doubt more click and send public weather grids are the future, esp in quiet weather days, when model variations are not great. This lends itself to more time for outreach, training. The days of someone sitting and only doing forecasting and spending the day over model data is over...you must integrate social media, training and forecast skills.

You are more than welcome to ask my any questions

Dan

Old 01-21-2018, 05:41 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Nice post Dan, thanks for the info! I hope this shut down doesn't affect you too much..

I remember with the last government shutdown many of my links didn't work because they were from NWS or ended in ".gov". I hope this one doesn't last long but for those wondering here are the impacts

https://twitter.com/NWSRaleigh/statu...24152099237888

Old 01-21-2018, 05:45 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
HI

I dont know if the websites are impacted.... they are not currently... but I know that impacts are not felt til after several days and longer...it kind of snowballs.

But our work at the office continues as before. Now anyone with training seminars, etc that they were supposed to attend is impacted and cannot travel....anything that is not considered supporting the immediate safety of life and property is curtailed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather