Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 01:32 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,215,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
A few pictures from Georgia trip. Very nice country, the western tourists should discover it.

Tbilisi, it was quite hot there, yesterday it recorded 38.5c/101.3f.

Greater Caucasus mountains:

The peak in the middle, covered by a cloud is Kazbek 5047 m (16,558 ft) above sea level.

Signagi in easternmost Georgia, not far from border of Aserbaidjan

Batumi on Black sea coast
The mountains look really beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 01:44 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Nice photos. Green mountains are different - seems a bit counter intuitive.

Batumi looks nice.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:26 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,385,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Nice photos. Green mountains are different - seems a bit counter intuitive.

Batumi looks nice.
The green ones are meadows- the trees don´t grow there any more but grass still grows. In some places we saw sheep there on meadows.
On the mountains which were lower grew some small trees or bushes:

Last edited by Anhityk; 07-07-2020 at 05:06 AM..

Old 07-05-2017, 02:45 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
I would love to take a dip right there. If only it weren't for the hundred of Alligators waiting below
Lol, it did look inviting on such a hot and humid day.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:04 PM

13,484 posts, read 9,025,623 times
The Maltese countryside looking parched now summer is in full swing...

Sun setting behind Selmun Palace looking across St. Paul's Bay...

Spotted a couple of Royal Poinciana trees (Delonix regia) flowering...

Old 07-08-2017, 12:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
The green ones are meadows- the trees don´t grow there any more but grass still grows. In some places we saw sheep there on meadows.
On the mountains which were lower grew some small trees or bushes:
Looks like a neat country to visit; how high up in elevation is that mountain photo? How'd you talk to the locals? Do you and Georgians speak some Russian? Or with English? Or just as little talking as possible?

Old 07-08-2017, 12:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

some old photos I neglected to add; ride up into Vermont. Went a bit further into Vermont as my shifter cable broke and I went further north to the nearest town. Neat bridge

Green River from bridge:

old dam

in Brattleboro waiting for my bicycle to get fixed

like just about all northern places, Vermont likes to think their weather is special:

Spoiler

================================================== ============

more local photos. Remains of an old trolley bridge

ferns

the photo doesn't show the bugs in the view

crossing the river

looking west to where the storm had passed

looking east to where the storm is going

clear looking north

going east, didn't catch up with the rainstorm

from another rainy day

Old 07-09-2017, 05:26 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times
^^ Like these post-rain photos. Maybe because I live in a dry-summer locale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Went to Banff and Jasper this long weekend. I forgot my camera at home--an action I shall regret to the end of my days--so I had to make do with my cell phone.
Beautiful images. You certainly seem to know how to make the most out of a cell phone.

Quote:
At the top of Parker Ridge you are rewarded with a view over Saskatchewan Glacier that is truly spectacular. It's like looking down into a land that time forgot, truly humbling and awe-inspiring.
One of the places you have to experience in person to truly understand the meaning of these words.

(Almost) went up the mountain to the right on this photo taken from my apartment:
Spoiler

Trailhead elevation: 1860 m (6102 ft)
Summit elevation: 3085 m (10121 ft)
Time to summit: 4:30
Time back to car: 3:30
Temperature at trailhead: 16°C at 6:30 am / 22°C at 5 pm
Temperature at summit: prolly in the high teens °C? Felt like mid-20s °C at 3000 m on south-facing slopes.

Judging by the car thermometer, some places above 1000 m had a "tropical night"!

Marmot den

Local fauna

Gotta climb up there

Not sure where to pass through this rocky mess as there's no trail whatsoever. Looking back at the photo I don't even remember the route we followed.

Had to go through this.

Saxifraga?
Spoiler

Hey there!

This pond looked inviting on this warm day.

Ibex doing its business
Spoiler

Route goes through snow

Nice view from up there

This crevice is the easiest way to climb the summit we were wanting to climb. We could hear rocks falling and alpinists screaming (too small to be visible on the photo). A big one fell down by at least 100 meters and stopped in the middle of the snow patch. Definitely not the kind of place you wanna get stuck in with a wounded knee.

So intead we went to a secondary summit a few hundred meters down the crest. The view was practically the same.

Looking towards il Bel Paese.

Mountain in the photo is the highest I can see from my place on the coast:
Spoiler

One could even distinguish Monviso and the Po plain through the haze. These would grow anywhere:
Spoiler

These wouldn't:

Cloud iridescence
Spoiler

I was surprised to see this fella wandering about on snow:

Umm the weather is turning stormy

Blue lagoon

This one was literally exploding. Mad turbulence in there I assume.

What looked like a molehill from up above is now intimidating:

Back in the forest

Stopping in a village on the way down. One could hear frequent rumbles of thunder, though no rain there.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:52 AM

Mountains like more like California mountains than what I'd expect from the Alps. A bit darker colored rock, but no huge bulky peaks but lots of barren sharp ones. A bit similar? Still clearer wetter than the eastern Sierra.

Hiking to the Top of Mount Dana | Sierra News Online

Climbing Mt. Agassiz

with our wet summer, I could take post-rain photos almost every other day. Cool to see a bug on snow? I feel like I've seen one of those in my room.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:59 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times
The Mt Dana photos don't really look like here, but the Mt Agassiz ones deffo could be from the Maritime Alps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather