Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2017, 10:52 AM

2,948 posts, read 2,916,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Wife and kids went to the beach today. Water temp was 77F/25C

Mother nature trolled the southern cone of SA like no other place in this regard. Just reaching 22-23ºC in the waters of my province feels like glory, all in a suposed "subtropical" climate. Meanwhile, Chicago's waters go way higher after brutal winters and frozen lakes. It's not fair

Last edited by marlaver; 08-17-2017 at 11:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 10:58 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Mother nature trolled the southern cone of SA like any other place in this regard. Just reaching 22-23ºC in the waters of my province feels like glory, all in a suposed "subtropical" climate. Meanwhile, Chicago's waters go way higher after brutal winters and frozen lakes. It's not fair
That's because Lake Michigan is a much smaller body of water, doesn't take as much to cool it off or warm it up compared to an ocean. Also Chicago's summers aren't really that much cooler than BA.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:50 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Portland's very pleasant, though the interesting stuff is nearly all by the city center. Shame you got a heat wave. Hopefully the lack of high humidity make it tolerable enough to do sightseeing? It was in the high 90s in Berlin and not high humidity except for part of one afternoon but it felt miserable. Almost nowhere had A/C though.

There's a very nice park in the hills to the downtown with its own light rail stop, you go there? What about the waterfalls in the Columbia river gorge to the east? Or Mt. Hood?
The first couple days were around 90 F so it was not bad at all because of the low humidity. Mornings were cool to comfortable. Mid-week onwards was uncomfortable though and the smoke made it unpleasant to spend too much time outdoors. That said, I definitely preferred the dry heat over the humidity back east.

Are you referring to Washington Park? I went there. Unfortunately I didn't get to the waterfalls because the traffic was bad and all the bus tours were booked up.

I was very impressed with the art museum and I could have gotten lost in Powell's Books.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:52 PM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Mother nature trolled the southern cone of SA like no other place in this regard. Just reaching 22-23ºC in the waters of my province feels like glory, all in a suposed "subtropical" climate. Meanwhile, Chicago's waters go way higher after brutal winters and frozen lakes. It's not fair
That's very interesting. You must have some strong currents bringing in colder water. On the otherhand, upwelling here can easily drop surface temps 10F+ in a matter of a day...

Shoreline temps were 77F/25C yesterday but they usually are closer to 80F/27C by this time of the year...

Having a drink on my deck this late afternoon

Old 08-17-2017, 08:44 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,188,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder98 View Post
Why is there Palm Trees in Portland, OR?
These are just hardy windmills. Even we have few of those outside. They seem happier in Oregon though.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:09 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times
There was a ~7 meter tall one in a backyard next to my apartment in Stuttgart, about 4 km from the city center. It's the coldest locale I've seen an established one in.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:19 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,385,502 times
A few days holiday making in Latvia, today near Riga, about 24-25c

Last edited by Anhityk; 08-06-2020 at 10:53 AM..

Old 08-18-2017, 09:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
went on a trip to Vermont & northern NY end of July & early August. here are some photos Lake Champlain from Burlington

if you look closely, you can see a bit of valley fog in the Adirondacks on the other side of the lake. Mt. Mansfield

from the ridge

intersting rock

Spoiler

cloudy morning

Spoiler

chance of storms later in the day

down out of the hills

thunderstorm was close but missed me. Got moderate rain for a short time

back to Lake Champlain

Old 08-18-2017, 09:10 PM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
went on a trip to Vermont & northern NY end of July & early August. here are some photos Lake Champlain from Burlington

if you look closely, you can see a bit of valley fog in the Adirondacks on the other side of the lake. Mt. Mansfield

from the ridge

intersting rock

Spoiler

cloudy morning

Spoiler

chance of storms later in the day

down out of the hills

thunderstorm was close but missed me. Got moderate rain for a short time

back to Lake Champlain

very nice!

Old 08-19-2017, 01:54 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Why not? There are palm trees in Seattle and Vancouver too. Even London has them.
The banana plants are extremely hardy, even NYC can grow them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather