Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which surfing hotspot has the best climate?
Mentawai Islands, Indonesia 2 10.00%
Mavericks, California, United States 0 0%
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia 5 25.00%
Supertubes, Jeffrey's Bay, South Africa 6 30.00%
Pipeline, Oahu, Hawaii 7 35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 10:26 AM

5,738 posts, read 3,513,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
I think it misses Tarifa, which is a well known place for surf and kite surf! Also maybe some place in southern Brazil like Rio.

it's a Csa/Csb borderline climate. Btw, the climate of Half Moon Bay is too blergh and probably the ocean is too cold year round. The others seem nice for surfing.

I'd take the Gold Coast or Port Elizabeth, I don't know at the moment which one to vote!
The best-known spots on the Iberian Peninsula seem to be in Portugal. Of these, Nazaré is the most prominent because of stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5g6I-FOguQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 10:56 AM

129 posts, read 98,228 times
For best climate in general: gold coast.
Best climate to compliment surfing: hawaii

Old 06-06-2017, 11:00 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
The best-known spots on the Iberian Peninsula seem to be in Portugal. Of these, Nazaré is the most prominent because of stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5g6I-FOguQ
and what's the relationship with Tarifa? it's not a competition lol, I mentioned Tarifa as being pretty famous in Europe and also because it has an official station...

In Spain the most known is not Tarifa (internationally) but some places on the Basque coast (north of Spain)

Old 06-06-2017, 11:13 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Quote:
and what's the relationship with Tarifa?
Nazaré is the biggest and most well known wave of the Iberian peninsula, which Tarifa is located on, that's all.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
and what's the relationship with Tarifa? it's not a competition lol, I mentioned Tarifa as being pretty famous in Europe and also because it has an official station...

In Spain the most known is not Tarifa (internationally) but some places on the Basque coast (north of Spain)
I was explaining why Tarifa didn't make the cut. If someone's doing a top 5 and they don't include Nazaré then they're definitely not going to include Tarifa.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:

And face it: you mentioned Tarifa because somehow you have to get Spain into every thread. We could have a thread about the best climate Antarctica and you'd find a place in Spain to talk about.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:19 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Nazaré is the biggest and most well known wave of the Iberian peninsula, which Tarifa is located on, that's all.
ok, but I didn't say that Tarifa is the most known surfing place in Iberia, it's not even in Spain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
And face it: you mentioned Tarifa because somehow you have to get Spain into every thread. We could have a thread about the best climate Antarctica and you'd find a place in Spain to talk about.
if I mentioned Nazaré or Cornwall and not Tarifa i'm sure that you wouldn't say nothing, right?

I just mentioned Tarifa because it's pretty known on this forum and has an official station... it hasn't any relationship with Spain lol, it was a mere suggestion... btw, nevermind.

Last edited by ase42dv; 06-06-2017 at 11:30 AM..

Old 06-06-2017, 12:49 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Hawaii, South Africa or Gold coast all look good, but I'll go with the Gold Coast for seasonality and rainy days -South Africa is getting just a bit too dry.

I learned to surf in Southland (Invercargill), so I'm not too worried about water temperature..... within reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather