Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following cities has your favorite SUMMER (July and August ONLY) climate
Reykjavík, Iceland 7 6.86%
Mecca, Saudi Arabia 1 0.98%
San Francisco, California 17 16.67%
Houston, Texas 19 18.63%
London, U.K 9 8.82%
Madrid, Spain 16 15.69%
Yakutsk, Russia 10 9.80%
Boston, Massachusetts 23 22.55%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 10:53 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,302,894 times

Advertisements

This year's Harvey, combined with the two years before, and I'm liking Houston's July/August climate even more than before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 12:19 AM

3 posts, read 1,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
This year's Harvey, combined with the two years before, and I'm liking Houston's July/August climate even more than before.
Human misery and billions worth of economic destruction, alongside heat and humidity that would be unbearable without your beloved air-con.

Face it WaveHunter, the climate is trash.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slavehunter View Post
Human misery and billions worth of economic destruction, alongside heat and humidity that would be unbearable without your beloved air-con.

Face it WaveHunter, the climate is trash.
I was there firsthand for Harvey, and I can tell you that the misery and economic destruction was as bad as it was simply because of Houston's sheer suburban sprawl.

Last edited by Texyn; 10-15-2017 at 01:52 AM..

Old 10-15-2017, 02:27 AM

3 posts, read 1,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
I was there firsthand for Harvey, and I can tell you that the misery and economic destruction was as bad as it was simply because of Houston's sheer suburban sprawl.
So it caused damage by hitting a city, does that not tell you something? Clearly the climate isn't ideal for building large cities. Not to mention damage to the oil industry.

Btw, I had no idea you lived in Texas, Wavehunter.

Old 10-15-2017, 02:52 AM

Quote:
So it caused damage by hitting a city, does that not tell you something. Clearly the climate isn't ideal for building large cities. Not to mention damage to the oil industry.
Nope, it simply underscores the point that all cities have to be designed in a way that is efficient for the scenarios their settings can deal with. It applies equally for Houston regarding floods as to Midwest cities with violent tornadoes.

Design with efficiency, and issues are minimized. East Asia deals with both typhoons (stronger than Atlantic Hurricanes, on average), and earthquakes, yet still ends up having the most populous, technologically advanced cities on the planet: because design was efficient.

Quote:
Btw, I had no idea you lived in Texas, Wavehunter.
I'm not Wavehunter.

Last edited by Texyn; 10-15-2017 at 03:04 AM..

Old 12-06-2017, 01:20 PM

1,218 posts, read 686,212 times
1. San Francisco - A
2. London - A
3. Yakutsk - D
4. Boston - F
5. Madrid - F
6. Houston - F
7. Mecca - F
8. Reykjavik - D*

Because 4-7 are all too hot they are ranked from coolest to hottest

* Mecca is sunnier than Reykjavik so it is ranked higher. Reykjavik has a higher grade than Mecca because it meets the climate requirements in one month out of two, whereas Mecca meets it in no months (just my weird rating system).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather