Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will win?
London 33 38.82%
San Francisco 52 61.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 07:31 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
That's my choice though. And I base it on convenient access to much better climates nearby.
I think you misunderstand the concept of a climate battle, which is a direct comparison between two city climates. The argument you're putting forward for SF's climate is that you can easily leave it

This is London vs SF. Not London vs SF/Concord/Santa Rosa/Sacremento, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 07:31 AM

2,460 posts, read 1,355,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Lol, Junter speaks pidgin most of the time. Although his English is better than my Spanish
How about my English? Is it too bad?

Old 06-30-2017, 07:32 AM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
yeah very true ,but i think San Fran was picked in isolation because of it's weird set up
I personally hate San Fran's climate. Horrible temps year round in my opinion. Any hot or cold lover would hate it. Only redeeming quality is the amount of sunshine.

Quote:
I think you misunderstand the concept of a climate battle, which is a direct comparison between two city climates. The argument you're putting forward for SF's climate is that you can easily leave it

This is London vs SF. Not London vs SF/Concord/Santa Rosa/Sacremento, etc.

San Fran is a mere 47sq miles. That would be like saying LA's climate is based off LAX on the coast, when the vast majority of LA is much warmer. It's a skewed comparison. But I guess that is the whole point.

But fine, I would still pic San Fran over London because London only wins (barely) in the summer, but San Fran would win in all other seasons (warmer and sunnier). If I must have mild temps in the winter, than San Fran wins because they are 5C+ milder than London's.

Happy?

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 06-30-2017 at 07:41 AM..

Old 06-30-2017, 07:44 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,370,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I don't know anyone that hates London. Give the average American a free trip to London say vs somewhere in the US and around 90% would choose London I would think. It is a fantastic city and far cleaner and more interesting than NYC. People shouldn't define a city by its climate. Who really cares that much about climate (unless it will kill you) if the city is a great place to visit and see the sights. You don't have to live in the climate, just visit.
Tom - oh yeah sure i know a lot of folk love the history and city itself and youre right , climate should not be of importance when planning on visiting a place (unless it's a beach location ) but i was saying to Junter last night about hated climates on here and the wider worlds view .

Seems for many on here ,they like the continental type of climate (real winters ) and hot summers - and that's good. They hate gloom and no extremes of temperature .
For a weather watcher ,the UK isn't great -not a lot happens lol

The media are strange though -
When we get interesting weather - what i call interesting is ... storms , ,thunder ,heavy downpours ,snow etc then the media always calls it 'bad weather'

when it actually gets really cold , it is 'bad weather'
when there is heavy rain it is 'bad weather'
wehn there is a drought it is 'bad weather'

normal nothingness and just calm ,mild , cloud and unreliable sun (the norm ) is also considered 'bad or poor weather'

so the only type of weather that is considered good weather is warm and sunny - and sunny isn't really weather at all -it's like the default setting .

Old 06-30-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
San Fran is a mere 47sq miles. That would be like saying LA's climate is based off LAX on the coast, when the vast majority of LA is much warmer. It's a skewed comparison. But I guess that is the whole point.

But fine, I would still pic San Fran over London because London only wins (barely) in the summer, but San Fran would win in all other seasons (warmer and sunnier). If I must have mild temps in the winter, than San Fran wins because they are 5C+ milder than London's.

Happy?
San Fran wins because it has warmer winters, even though you typically like climates with large seasonality and very cold winters

Okay then George

Old 06-30-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
San Fran wins because it has warmer winters, even though you typically like climates with large seasonality and very cold winters

Okay then George
Um I said if I must chose between two climates with mild winters, then I choose San Fran because it's milder. Capish?

Old 06-30-2017, 07:54 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
London clearly better because I can be in Casablanca or Las Palmas in 3.5-4 hrs. It takes 18 hrs from SFO.

The Med climates in CA suck in comparison to those.

Quote:
Um I said if I must chose between two climates with mild winters, then I choose San Fran because it's milder. Capish?

I just thought someone like you would choose the winter with significantly more potential for snow and sub-freezing temperatures. Even if it is generally mild.

Never mind.

Quote:
I just thought someone like you would choose the winter with significantly more potential for snow and sub-freezing temperatures. Even if it is generally mild.

Never mind.

Let's see which winters would I choose London or Miami? Must be London because I like cold snowy winters right? LMAO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
London clearly better because I can be in Casablanca or Las Palmas in 3.5-4 hrs. It takes 18 hrs from SFO.
Oh please a 20 minute drive outside the city limits of San Fran and summer highs avg 29C.... Nice try though.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Let's see which winters would I choose London or Miami? Must be London because I like cold snowy winters right? LMAO!!

Of course, you'd happily go completely against your entire weather preference so long as it mans voting against London.

You seem to suffer from substantial cognitive dissonance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather