Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the climate: A-F
A 3 7.14%
B 5 11.90%
C 17 40.48%
D 6 14.29%
E 9 21.43%
F 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 04:45 AM

325 posts, read 216,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
I suppose it depends on your definition of 'warm'. I wear shorts 5 months of the year in this climate, and sometimes in the Winter if it gets up to 16°C
I wear shorts and t shirt over 22°C, but if it's 18°C like it were in Edinburgh last week where I was and I'm walking fast I will sweat. It depends a lot, it maybe be -3°C and I wear just a jumper under the bright sun and snow on the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 06:15 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,369,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Olives? - I've looked into olive growing in the UK, and it's not really a happening thing. Grapes/wine are produced there, but it's not a great climate for them.

Don't ignore the impact of frost -my area is warmer and sunnier, and by bigger margins, than areas to the west of here. But the absence of frosts in those areas, means they can grow fruit that can't really be grown here.
Olives aren't a big thing Joe ,but they are grown in gardens - something that wouldn't be possible in say Scotland i'm guessing .

Grapes do fine these days - vinyards a plenty in the osuth east - doesn't have to be that hot in summer . 23c max average does the trick . Isn't it all to do with positioning on slopes and soil types etc as well . It's pretty flat here so i'd have though that might have been more of an obstacle - and late frosts can be a hazards as seen in Europe this year . Chance of a lvery ate frost is more likely in the SE/UK than mainland Europe which surprises me

Last edited by TorshavnSunHolidays; 07-24-2017 at 06:35 AM..

Old 07-24-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Oh trust me, I'm not arguing that whatsoever. What I just find laughable is the fact that these people literally will grade another climate an entire letter grade or two lower over what at the end is a very small difference. It'd be like someone rating Miami an F and West Palm Beach a C. Lol.
Alex ,doesnt grading depend on preference ? If you like boiling hot summers ,the UK would get an E quite rightly ,and a D if you like bone chilling winters and 20 foot of snow .

In the USA there are fantastic and horrid climates all in one country -some only small distances from one another .

Personally my favourite and worst climates are all within 600 miles of the UK .

Old 07-24-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
C- for that town.

Both the UK and Germany have very little climatic diversity for spanning quite far from North to South. Hamburg and Munich have basically the same climate.
Isn't Munich high elevation though . But agree on your point overall -in fact i'd say Germany has even less diversity .
If you did away with the south coast on France ,France would be the clear winner imo

Old 07-24-2017, 11:20 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
Olives aren't a big thing Joe ,but they are grown in gardens - something that wouldn't be possible in say Scotland i'm guessing .

Grapes do fine these days - vinyards a plenty in the osuth east - doesn't have to be that hot in summer . 23c max average does the trick . Isn't it all to do with positioning on slopes and soil types etc as well . It's pretty flat here so i'd have though that might have been more of an obstacle - and late frosts can be a hazards as seen in Europe this year . Chance of a lvery ate frost is more likely in the SE/UK than mainland Europe which surprises me
Quality wines need either good heat or an extended growing season. The UK like NZ, relies on the extended growing season, but sunshine and temperatures drop off too rapidly there and quality suffers.

Positioning is important in marginal conditions, or where late frosts can be an issue. Around here conditions are such, that positioning only applies to frost, as grapes will still get good ripening conditions, regardless of aspect..

Old 07-24-2017, 11:26 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,992 times
The UK has produced some top 10 sparkling wines, no surprise one of those was in the notably warm summer of 2003

Old 07-24-2017, 11:36 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
The UK has produced some top 10 sparkling wines, no surprise one of those was in the notably warm summer of 2003
That says something, as sparkling wine here, is considered a last option if a crop is of low quality.

I would like to try and English wine though, but I think it's greatest strength would be that it would appeal to British consumers, rather than having a climate suitable for premium wine production.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
That says something, as sparkling wine here, is considered a last option if a crop is of low quality.

I would like to try and English wine though, but I think it's greatest strength would be that it would appeal to British consumers, rather than having a climate suitable for premium wine production.
Well a couple did win international competitions, despite there a relatively small industry here. I assume most aren't great, and we have France just across the water, hard to compete with that.

Most Brits are perfectly happy to drink French wine. In fact we consume so much of it that it's considered to give the UK significant negotiating leverage with France in terms of trying to secure a respectable trade deal

Last edited by Razza94; 07-24-2017 at 11:52 AM..

Old 07-24-2017, 11:49 AM

the bit i don't get with wine growing is the fact that there are vinyards in Cornwall - that is the last place you'd get summer heat - what sort of wine do they produce down there ?

Old 07-24-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
the bit i don't get with wine growing is the fact that there are vinyards in Cornwall - that is the last place you'd get summer heat - what sort of wine do they produce down there ?
Gets less cold nights though, and above average sunshine by UK standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather