Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the climate: A-F
A 3 7.14%
B 5 11.90%
C 17 40.48%
D 6 14.29%
E 9 21.43%
F 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 03:24 PM

1,218 posts, read 686,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Pershore is just your typical English climate. It's summer, winter, rainfall etc, is what would be considered normal in probably 80% of England.
Scotland has some differences, but if you woke up tomorrow, in any random town, in probably 95% of England, you would struggle to tell where you are, going by the weather only.
Really? It's warmer, drier and less windy every month of the year and sunnier every month of the year with the exception of December and February when compared to the English average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 03:25 PM

7,212 posts, read 3,088,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Inverness is in a very sheltered caostal location, and has disappointingly warm winters for that part of the country.

This is further south: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalwhinnie#Climate
Dalwhinnie is far away from the sea, at an altitude of 359 m, it is logical that has some continental and mountain influence.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:25 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
not north of Birmingham Razza ,south of - in fact Pershore would mark the boundary imo .

here we go - something like this , C group, D group and E group .

Portsmouth C+
Other selected south coast C+
Colch,Ips,Faversham,Gravesend,Canterbury ,Heathrow,Isles of Scilly C
Cambridge,Oxford,Norwich, Pershore,Bristol,Plymouth,Reading,Newquay,Swansea, C-

Birmingham, Chester,Sheffield,York ,Nottingham,Lincoln D+
Liverpool, Blackpool,Isle of Man , D
Stoke,Manchester,Blackburn,Newcastle,Durham,Tees,E dinburgh D-

Glasgow,Lakes,Dundee,Aberdeen,Belfast E+
Western Isles, Orkneys E
Lerwick E or E-
I think you like splitting hairs over small differences to make it seem like the U.K. is diverse climatically.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:26 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
What a strange mix Torshavn. I'd be interested to know why Plymouth, Swansea and Newquay are rated higher than York or Chester.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:29 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
Really? It's warmer, drier and less windy every month of the year and sunnier every month of the year with the exception of December and February when compared to the English average.
Yes, really. I didn't say it was exactly the same, it worse, or whatever. I said it's a normal English climate, every aspect of it would be considered normal just about everywhere.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:30 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Pershore is a C. Looks more like a typical rural SE, East Anglia or central southern location than somewhere in the rainy west.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:35 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
I think the differences are fairly minimal as you move up ,but they amount to a fair difference between Lerwick and Porstmouth
Lerwick is on archipelago over a hundred of miles away from the mainland. It's not even remotely representative of the general UK climate

Within the major cities stretching up and down the mainland, the differences are not hugely significant. Yes, some are better or worse than others, but that's beside the point.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:36 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,370,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I think you like splitting hairs over small differences to make it seem like the U.K. is diverse climatically.

not at all - i use methods to grade climates - but remember my differences only have to be slight to notch a mark .

I could go on ,

Rennes ,Tours C+
Nantes ,Lorient,Poitiers ,Limoges B-
Saint Nazerre , Vannes B
La Rochelle B+
Vigo,Porto B+ or A-
any better get an A or A+

then going north ,

Lerwick E
Reykjavik E-
Bergen ,Trondheim, Tromso E-
Torshavn F+
Bear Island F
any worse than this get F- or U

now can you see why i have to differentiate ? otherwise everywhere would get a C ,or be way out

Old 07-23-2017, 03:36 PM

1,218 posts, read 686,212 times
Quote:
Yes, really. I didn't say it was exactly the same, it worse, or whatever. I said it's a normal English climate, every aspect of it would be considered normal just about everywhere.
The climate figures clearly disagree with you

Pershore compared with English average:

MAX TEMP
+1.0°C

MIN TEMP
+0.2°C

FROST DAYS

SUNSHINE HOURS
+44.2

RAINFALL
-248.4 MM

RAIN DAYS

Old 07-23-2017, 03:40 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,370,256 times
Quote:
What a strange mix Torshavn. I'd be interested to know why Plymouth, Swansea and Newquay are rated higher than York or Chester.
Very good point .

Swansea has the higher sunshine hours - last noted around 1,700 ...it's quite mild in winter - the downside is it is wet - but i find it's a fairly OK climate still .
Plymouth ditto .
Newquay ditto.

York/Chester are drier - not quite as mild in winter ,but also have lower sunshine readings , temps not too much different - it is a really small difference tbf - but i had to make a cut off point somewhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather