Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city feels colder in the winter?
Stockholm 13 36.11%
Toronto 23 63.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 08:07 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,356,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
can you feel the sun at those frigid temperatures ? would be like trying to heat your house with a light bulb lol
Uh, yes. 30 F with clouds and 30 F with sun feel completely different. 30 F with sun can actually feel mild.

Also, those are average lows that occur in the very early morning hours, not average highs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 08:25 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,368,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Uh, yes. 30 F with clouds and 30 F with sun feel completely different. 30 F with sun can actually feel mild.

Also, those are average lows that occur in the very early morning hours, not average highs.
well ,it's not THAT sunny in Toronto - and i'm guessing the sun (which will be pretty low anyway ) will be shining on the colder days .

so at say -4 and sunny i would say would look very nice with a blue sky and snow on the ground ,but any warmth ? I highly doubt it .

Usually i can feel the sun at 6c - besides anyway ,in those ridiculous below zero temps you would be covered from head to foot

Old 07-26-2017, 06:38 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,939,609 times
Quote:
well ,it's not THAT sunny in Toronto - and i'm guessing the sun (which will be pretty low anyway ) will be shining on the colder days .

so at say -4 and sunny i would say would look very nice with a blue sky and snow on the ground ,but any warmth ? I highly doubt it .

Usually i can feel the sun at 6c - besides anyway ,in those ridiculous below zero temps you would be covered from head to foot
6C or -6C?

Old 07-26-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:

Point is, it would feel a lot different at -4 C and sunny than at -4 C with overcast skies. Plus, Toronto's winter sun angle is a good deal stronger than the UK's. I don't think anyone is arguing it would feel warm in the sun, just warmer than it would be if it were cloudy.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:08 AM

7,502 posts, read 6,284,169 times
Toronto's sun angle is actually fine, it's pretty much similar to where I live now.

Yup, 30F with bright sunshine actually feels mild after a week of negative (celsius) highs. I actually remember walking many times during sunny -10c afternoons in february and it was cold but ok with appropriate clothing.

The harsher moments are when the wind blows from the west, it can be super strong.

Overall, it is cold, sometimes very cold, but with appropriate clothing it is ok. I still find it better than our damp overcast 4c days, unless we're reaching the extreme conditions depicted above.

Of course by late february I feel much warmer in Bologna, whereas Toronto can feel wintry well until April. The main issue with those climates is the late to the party Spring.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:09 AM

29,500 posts, read 19,600,372 times
Quote:
can you feel the sun at those frigid temperatures ? would be like trying to heat your house with a light bulb lol
Like what Alex said, those are minimum temps, they happen when there is no sunlight. Lol

Old 07-27-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Toronto's sun angle is actually fine, it's pretty much similar to where I live now.

Yup, 30F with bright sunshine actually feels mild after a week of negative (celsius) highs. I actually remember walking many times during sunny -10c afternoons in february and it was cold but ok with appropriate clothing.

The harsher moments are when the wind blows from the west, it can be super strong.

Overall, it is cold, sometimes very cold, but with appropriate clothing it is ok. I still find it better than our damp overcast 4c days, unless we're reaching the extreme conditions depicted above.

Of course by late february I feel much warmer in Bologna, whereas Toronto can feel wintry well until April. The main issue with those climates is the late to the party Spring.
Yes, I agree 100%.

Also, Toronto does exhibit a lot of seasonal lag. March 1 is only about 3 C warmer on average than the coldest part of winter, it seems like late February there is still high winter. Of course the higher sun angle in late February would maybe cancel some of that.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:15 AM

7,211 posts, read 3,084,611 times
I vote for Toronto.

For the lower temperature and windy winters.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:02 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,265,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallahasseeJohn View Post
Toronto would clearly feel colder, look at the lows!
Ooh scary

Guess those average winter lows are scary to someone from Tallahassee, Florida,
though you have the record low temp for Florida....-19C....cold for 30N

Anyway....lets go over the data...

STOCKHOLM

Dec ...avg high 1.7....avg low -2.3 ....record high 13C...record low -23C ....avg sun hrs 33

Jan....avg high 0.5....avg low -3.7 ....record high 10C..record low -32...avg sun hrs 40

Feb ...avg high 0.6 ...avg low -3.9....record high 12C ....re ord low -30C.....avg sun hrs 72

TORONTO

Dec ....avg high 2.1...avg low -3.1 ....record high 20C...record low -30C ....avg sun hrs 78

Jan.....avg high -0.7...avg low -6.7....record high 16C ....record low -33C....avg sun hrs 86

Feb ....avg high 0.4 ...avg low -5.6 ...record high 19C .....record low -32C ...avg sun hrs 111

Conclusion....The average temps imo are not that much different, slight edge to Stockholm,
however Toronto is almost 16 degrees farther south, longer winter days, more sunshine.
Also Toronto can and does get some "warmer" winter days ...look at record highs.

The OP is wanting to know which city "feels" warmer..not is warmer,
for me it is Toronto...not by much though, they are similar, however
I would much prefer an average Toronto winter than an average Stockholm winter.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:59 PM

29,500 posts, read 19,600,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Ooh

TORONTO

Dec ....avg high 2.1...avg low -3.1 ....record high 20C...record low -30C ....avg sun hrs 78

Jan.....avg high -0.7...avg low -6.7....record high 16C ....record low -33C....avg sun hrs 86

Feb ....avg high 0.4 ...avg low -5.6 ...record high 19C .....record low -32C ...avg sun hrs 111
r.

I assume the Annex repesents TO's urban heat island as opposed to Pearson right? Probably similar to say how Midway or UofC has a greater UHI than ORD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather