Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best largest city climate of the six continents?
Moscow 19 31.15%
Tokyo 10 16.39%
Mexico City 9 14.75%
Sao Paulo 4 6.56%
Sydney 15 24.59%
Lagos 4 6.56%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 01:26 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,457,430 times

Advertisements

Moscow has a big UHI, I would think. I wouldn't be surprised if the outer areas have 3-5C colder average lows during wintertime.

I pick Moscow obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 01:30 PM

226 posts, read 244,780 times
A difficult one because they’re all rubbish. Istanbul would be much better than any of them.

Moscow has distinct seasons but is depressingly dull and gloomy in winter. Summers not reliable either.

Tokyo is just horrendous especially the Okutama station. Absolutely horrible, humid, dull and wet summers. Kitanomaru Park has January as the sunniest month despite also being the coldest. A joke of a climate. Even the UK has better summers than this tripe.

Sao Paulo another undesirable cloudy, wet climate where the coldest months are also the sunniest and driest though at least, unlike Tokyo, they are reasonably warm.

Lagos is another foul, humid, dull and wet climate. The wet season there would be truly insufferable.

That leaves Sydney and Mexico City. Sydney is too wet and the sunshine distribution is poor with the warmest months cloudiest - sunniest month August with an average high of only 18.9C! Hence I’ll go for Mexico City. Looks pleasant from November to May though too wet the rest of the year and temperatures far too equable and boring. However if there’s not going to be any frost or snow in the coldest months then better for it to be warm and in the 20s rather than the Scottish summer highs of Sydney winters.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:03 PM

963 posts, read 855,374 times
Lagos of course, Sao Paulo and Sydney are also nice.
So Moscow is winning, so many cold-snow tards on here even Tokyo is better.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:58 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Too dry for him though. I agree with him that the summers are too dry. I prefer around 250-350 mm of rain during the summer months.
Whether I have a dry bias or not, I can objectively tell that 85mm of rain with 15 days of measured precipitation is not dry. Now it's certainly not that wet, but I just wouldn't call it "too dry". Just the same I wouldn't objectively call 12C "very cold" even though an average around that is rather cool to me.

Let's not make our preferences hinder facts. We can might as well call London's winters "too cold" because they're really cloudy and average between 4C and 8C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard82 View Post
That leaves Sydney and Mexico City. Sydney is too wet and the sunshine distribution is poor with the warmest months cloudiest - sunniest month August with an average high of only 18.9C! Hence I’ll go for Mexico City. Looks pleasant from November to May though too wet the rest of the year and temperatures far too equable and boring. However if there’s not going to be any frost or snow in the coldest months then better for it to be warm and in the 20s rather than the Scottish summer highs of Sydney winters.
Metropolitan Sydney isn't that wet though. You should've looked at the climate boxes below Sydney CBD's (namely Bankstown Airport's). Your opinion may change, but I don't know.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:45 AM

325 posts, read 216,918 times
Moscow because it is a B+ climate and all the other ones have at least a D climate (for me of course).

Old 08-03-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe3797 View Post
Lagos of course, Sao Paulo and Sydney are also nice.
So Moscow is winning, so many cold-snow tards on here even Tokyo is better.

Could you please not call anyone retarded just because he or she has a different opinion from you?

Old 08-03-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Is the 10 year climate table for Moscow accurate??? If so, WOW.

Though this year they are having one of the coldest summers ever i believe.
And also a quite cold January, with some days with -30 C. I saw some time ago the January 2006 table for Moscow, il nearly hit it coldest temperature ever, some days at -41 C minima.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:01 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,370,256 times
a few Australians no doubt having their noses put out of joint lol

they'll get over it one day

Old 08-03-2017, 09:11 PM

769 posts, read 479,826 times
Moscow.

True 4 season climate with great temperature variations!

Old 08-04-2017, 05:51 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,680,097 times
Moscow. Winters are very cold during cold waves but at least the climate is better than the other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather