Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 12:51 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,451,533 times

Advertisements

Its unfavorable position for thunderstorms compared to other parts of the region. The statistics don't tell you how many of them are in a weakened or dying state (and then intensify again on the other side of town).

I also wish that everything in winter was either rain or snow, and no ice storms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 02:42 PM

1,218 posts, read 686,106 times
Nearest Met Office climate station: Pershore, England.

Things I hate in order from most to least:

1. The thing I hate the most is the low sunshine totals from September to March, the annoying thing is at my latitude you should be able to get a lot more sunshine than is actual. 1.5 hours in December is vile

2. I also hate heat, so the hot weather (above 76°F) that happens at some point during the summer, sucks. Last year we even broke the 90°F mark! Luckily we haven't got over 73 since 25 July.

3. Its supposed to snow during the winter above the 50th parallel north and well inland, but keeps missing my area (By the way, that's ANY snow I wish for! A wet dusting would be delightful!)

4. The summer nights are not warm enough. To me, during the summer you should never feel too hot or too cold.

That's why my own climate gets an E. Winter F, Spring D, Summer A and Autumn F.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:27 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
I love the Texas climate. Summer could be longer though. I hate, really, really hate being cold.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:52 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Cold winters with a lot of snow!

Old 08-08-2017, 08:59 PM

497 posts, read 484,452 times
Too much rain in the winter
Not enough sunshine during the winter
Not enough thunderstorms (or rain) during the summer

Old 08-08-2017, 11:54 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,385,476 times
The humidity.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:10 AM

176 posts, read 146,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
There's also Harbin which is much colder than Chicago. It has a population of 6 million, or 10 million if you also count the outermost areas (the "sub-provincial city").

Another two are Changchun and Shenyang, both are a couple hours south of Harbin; each of these have a population of 4 million (inner city) or 7 million (sub-provincial).

Then there's also St. Petersburg which is colder and bigger than Chicago.

Dalian is also about as big and as cold as Chicago.

Novosibirsk and Montreal have about 1.5 million people, colder and smaller than Chicago but in the same general population category.
I was using metropolitan area populations from this source: City Populations, Largest Cities of the World - Worldatlas.com. Apparently, Toronto is actually smaller than Chicago by this measure. I think metro area population is a better measure than city population because Europe and Asia traditionally have most people concentrated in cities, while most Americans live in suburbs. Regardless, looking through the top of the list it amazed me how many of the cities were tropical. This is probably because there are far fewer European cities than I expected.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:44 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,878,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
- too short and cool shoulder seasons
I've seen you say this before, can you elaborate? If anything, I find our shoulder seasons unpleasantly long.

If fall was any longer we would hardly get a winter at all. It takes three months of cooling (and mud and drizzle and 90% cloudiness) to finally reach the freezing point in mid to late november and that's if the temperature is normal, not 5°C above average like in recent years. I don't mind the gloomy fall weather at all but I need to know winter is coming. There has to be a sense of anticipation in it. First snow is easily the highlight of the weather year.

Snow should settle by early December but has been late or absent recently. I would prefer the darkest months of the year to be wintry, not just nastier versions of October. If snow only finally arrives in January, by that point I'm mentally done with winter and looking forward to spring already.

Spring is better as there's plenty of sunshine but it takes until late May to get any kind of consistent warmth and on years like this one, late June. It just drags on and on.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:41 AM

1,218 posts, read 686,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiromant View Post
I've seen you say this before, can you elaborate? If anything, I find our shoulder seasons unpleasantly long.

If fall was any longer we would hardly get a winter at all. It takes three months of cooling (and mud and drizzle and 90% cloudiness) to finally reach the freezing point in mid to late november and that's if the temperature is normal, not 5°C above average like in recent years. I don't mind the gloomy fall weather at all but I need to know winter is coming. There has to be a sense of anticipation in it. First snow is easily the highlight of the weather year.

Snow should settle by early December but has been late or absent recently. I would prefer the darkest months of the year to be wintry, not just nastier versions of October. If snow only finally arrives in January, by that point I'm mentally done with winter and looking forward to spring already.

Spring is better as there's plenty of sunshine but it takes until late May to get any kind of consistent warmth and on years like this one, late June. It just drags on and on.
You certainly wouldn't like it in the UK then. Most years the first snow arrives sometime in January. But in Winter 2015-16, the first snow (and the only snow) arrived at the end of April, followed by 27°C less than 2 weeks later! Here are some mean temperatures:

Nov '15 8.2°C
Dec '15 7.9°C
Jan '16 4.6°C
Feb '16 3.9°C
Mar '16 5.3°C
Apr '16 6.5°C

Also, during November 2015 Bognor Regis, which is supposed to be the sunniest location during a UK winter, received just 22.2 hours of sun (25% of normal).

Old 08-09-2017, 04:33 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,185 times
The weather is too hot to dress like an adult. Two seasons of hot weather is nice, but I miss climates with distinct seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather