Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you remember the first time you experienced snow?
I've never experienced snow 2 2.99%
I remember 24 35.82%
I don't remember, I was very young 41 61.19%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 10:58 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times

Advertisements

I was born in Upstate New York so I experienced snow within days of being born. I was born during a week for January where we were well known for getting hit with a Noreaster. Stayed that way all through my childhood. It's not like that now though. The weather has certainly changed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 01:52 PM

1,289 posts, read 937,973 times
The first time I experienced actual snowfall was on a visit to Las Vegas around February of 1996. I was sitting in a McDonald's a few blocks from the airport. I noticed some packaging foam start to float through the air. I thought a truck had spilled part of its load. Except the spill kept getting bigger. "What's that white stuff?" I asked an employee behind the counter. She left the cash register and went to the window. "That's snow!" she said. "In Vegas!"

Old 08-10-2017, 04:13 AM

7,212 posts, read 3,088,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
That would kill me right there, but I guess that you guys are accustomed to it, ready for it, and dress accordingly.
Here in the U.K., the only times you see or hear the words thermal underwear, is if you read about Polar explorers, or people climbing Everest.
My concession to cold weather is to wear an I ♥️ New York T shirt under a long sleeved shirt, regular boxers, maybe a thicker pair of jeans, and a hip length leather coat, with faux fur lining, that I bought in Bielefeld, Germany.
Then I wonder why my fingertips turn white, my lips turn blue, and my feet, encased in leather shoes bought in Madrid, Spain, or Lisbon, Portugal, feel like blocks of ice.
Does the word Stara in your place name mean old?
I know that old in Polish is Stare, as in Stare Miasto, "Old Town."
Winter 1963 was very cold in whole of Europe, here in Serbia the lowest records in many cities are measured in January 1963.

Yes, Stara mean old.

There is Stara and Nova Pazova (Nova mean new).
By the late 18th century name of town was Pazova and them came German colonists (Swabians) and founded settlement near Pazova.
New German village was called Nova Pazova (Neu-Pasua), and Pazova become Stara (old) Pazova.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stara_Pazova

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova_Pazova

Old 08-10-2017, 04:15 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,058 times
Man I experienced snow in my womb

Old 08-10-2017, 07:47 AM

2,652 posts, read 3,409,546 times
The first snow I "remember" as personally was back in January 7, 2001 when 15.6 cm of snowfall measured in one day.

Climate History

Old 08-10-2017, 10:46 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,183,689 times
I was born on a snowy day.

The first time I remember snow, I was 6. The early January 1999 snow. Built a snowman.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:56 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
I don't, I do remember when my kids experienced their first significant 'settled' snow though, they were about 4 and 7 years old respectively, we had gone a few 'snowless' winters and when it came they couldn't wait to get out there, I remember my Mrs wrapping them up while they whinged that it was taking too long..................they were out there all of 5 minutes before they were cold and had enough and came back indoors! :-)

Old 08-11-2017, 11:48 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I remember the first time I remember snow...I may have forgotten earlier experiences. (:

I was about 6 years old, living in Sacramento, CA. That's near sea level, almost never snows there.

The fluffy white stuff was amazing! my siblings and I tried to gather enough (in a wheelbarrow!) to build a snowman. Sadly, it didn't last long enough.

Since then, I have "gone to the snow" and even been in snowfall, but have never lived where it snows more than once every few decades.
I am honestly surprised that Sactown is so low in elevation. I figured with California's rugged terrain and it's inland locale it would be somewhat high.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:57 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
First time I was 15 and it was on New Years Day in Tennessee. It was flurries for literally seconds. That following morning it began snowing around 5-6 AM I was sleeping on an air mattress when my aunt (at the time she was fixing to turn 47) who had never seen snow either, woke me up. The snow had covered the porch of the cabin. Two hours later I woke up, bundle up and went outside to a blanket of white and felt it with bare hands. From there on I knew I had to get the hell outta Florida lol Man, y'all making me excited for winter.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:58 PM

53 posts, read 40,694 times
First time I experienced snow was in Atlanta in 1996 at the age of 6; I moved to GA from Sacramento, CA in 1995. It was already snowing outside when my mom picked me up from school. I remember walking outside with a light jacket on, but I wasn't really that cold. I think the snow day I'm most fond of is when we had a White Christmas in Atlanta back in 2010 (I was 20), it such a rare occasion in this part of the US as it usually only snows here in Jan/Feb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather