Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 12:04 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,692,325 times

Advertisements

I took this photo on Aug 30. 2015 up at 700 m asl near Trollheim mt range, ca 1 hr drive from Trondheim. Even at this altitude in central Norway, very little, if any, autumn colors on the trees by the end of Aug.

Same area and time, at ca 900 m asl, the vegetation near the ground has clearly some autumn colors by the end of August, but the small trees at the treeline here is still green

And this is inside the Arctic Circle, near Bodø, on Oct 7. 2016. Fall colors on the trees, which still have some leafs

Last edited by Jakobsli; 08-11-2017 at 12:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 12:07 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Utsjoki Nuorgam is the northernmost weather station in Finland, and it gives no reason so far why the vegetation should be prepared for fall: Synop report summary

I know it's only 11 August, but still.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:26 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Ok, you know Alaska better than me and I believe you.

No, I'm not talking about peaking. The fall colours in northernmost Finland advance very fast: it starts in early September and trees are bare by October. In Utsjoki the peak is on average between 10 - 15 September, in Rovaniemi 15-20 September and Oulu 20-25 September.
More south: Tampere 5-10 October, Turku and Helsinki 10-15 October.

I maded this photo on 30. September 2014 (2C over the average that year). Surprisingly little fall colour. Of course, now when Septembers are always warmer, later peaks will be normality.
I'm assuming the bottom pics are from Turku and not far northern Finland?

Sounds like Utsjoki peaks around the same time as Fairbanks, when do the first snows usually come in these parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
I took this photo on Aug 30. 2015 up at 700 m asl near Trollheim mt range, ca 1 hr drive from Trondheim. Even at this altitude in central Norway, very little, if any, autumn colors on the trees by the end of Aug.

Same area and time, at ca 900 m asl, the vegetation near the ground has clearly some autumn colors by the end of August, but the small trees at the treeline here is still green

And this is inside the Arctic Circle, near Bodø, on Oct 7. 2016. Fall colors on the trees, which still has some leafs
To be fair, the Arctic Circle in Alaska is a lot colder in October compared to Norway. By October, they already have below freezing highs and -20 C lows are already possible. Usually snow covered with bare trees as well.

I'm assuming in those mountainous areas, the fall colors peak by the end of September? Or later?

Old 08-11-2017, 01:42 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I'm assuming the bottom pics are from Turku and not far northern Finland?

Sounds like Utsjoki peaks around the same time as Fairbanks, when do the first snows usually come in these parts?
Of course it's from Turku, why the hell would I go north beyond the wall? Still, in NA this is my latitudinal buddy where fall peaks probably much earlier: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiteh...te_and_ecology

First measurable snowfall (1cm on the ground at 9:00) in Utsjoki comes between 7 and 17 October at lower elevations, and between 27 Sep and 7 Oct at higher.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:14 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,692,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
To be fair, the Arctic Circle in Alaska is a lot colder in October compared to Norway. By October, they already have below freezing highs and -20 C lows are already possible. Usually snow covered with bare trees as well.

I'm assuming in those mountainous areas, the fall colors peak by the end of September? Or later?
Actually a little earlier, as things happen fast there up in the mountains, more like peak in mid-September near the treeline.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:01 PM

681 posts, read 1,206,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I just got finished with looking at a "Special Weather Statement" which was issued by the national weather service this morning and they are showing a growing plausibility of an early season snowstorm for areas north of about Fairbanks. The way things are looking now, they are forecasting the potential of 6 inches or greater for those areas.
The winter weather will be well north of Fairbanks, about 300 miles....from the Brooks Range , north....and a few areas on the west coast. This is really nothing unusual for this area this time of year.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:50 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:

Could this sort of weather this early in the season be a harbinger of a brutally cold and/or a very cold and snowy winter for the rest of the United States??
Seriously?

Old 08-11-2017, 10:30 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,970,576 times
Quote:
I just got finished with looking at a "Special Weather Statement" which was issued by the national weather service this morning and they are showing a growing plausibility of an early season snowstorm for areas north of about Fairbanks. The way things are looking now, they are forecasting the potential of 6 inches or greater for those areas.

Could this sort of weather this early in the season be a harbinger of a brutally cold and/or a very cold and snowy winter for the rest of the United States??
If the winter of 2011-12 is any indication, a cold winter in Alaska means a warm winter in the rest of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather