Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 01:05 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,211,978 times

Advertisements

I just got finished with looking at a "Special Weather Statement" which was issued by the national weather service this morning and they are showing a growing plausibility of an early season snowstorm for areas north of about Fairbanks. The way things are looking now, they are forecasting the potential of 6 inches or greater for those areas.

Could this sort of weather this early in the season be a harbinger of a brutally cold and/or a very cold and snowy winter for the rest of the United States??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 01:15 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
I just looked at the forecast for Bettles, Alaska (north of Fairbanks) and it looks cool and rainy this weekend with highs around 55 F and lows around 35-40 F. Saturday night has "Rain Likely" with a low of 35 F. Perhaps it gets cooler?

Just looked at Anaktuvuk Pass, looks like highs around 40 F with lows in the upper 20s with rain/snow likely on Saturday and Sunday remarkable.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:21 PM

769 posts, read 479,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I just got finished with looking at a "Special Weather Statement" which was issued by the national weather service this morning and they are showing a growing plausibility of an early season snowstorm for areas north of about Fairbanks. The way things are looking now, they are forecasting the potential of 6 inches or greater for those areas.

Could this sort of weather this early in the season be a harbinger of a brutally cold and/or a very cold and snowy winter for the rest of the United States??
I hope so, but it's very hard to get extreme cold from coast to coast. I don't think I've ever seen a trough envelop the whole country for an extended period of time. If the polar jet stream were stronger could it be possible? I remember seeing some people say that in winters past (prior to 1900), the polar jet was a lot stronger and we could get severe cold waves from coast to coast that could last for a long time.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:10 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I just looked at the forecast for Bettles, Alaska (north of Fairbanks)
Crazy. 21C avg high in June, 17C avg high in August.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Crazy. 21C avg high in June, 17C avg high in August.
Haha, yeah. Those places in interior Alaska cool off remarkably fast in late summer, a very noticeable seasonal lead there. It's exhibited in other months too, for example:

13 C average high in May vs. 9 C in September

1 C average high in April vs. -4 C in October

-8.5 C in March vs. -14.4 C in November

It's fun to watch forecasts for places like Fairbanks or Bettles, etc in August because the transition to autumn is very sudden. Some places can get their first measurable snowfall by the end of August/beginning of September. I believe fall colors peak in these areas in late August too. Pretty cool IMO! Though a bit too cool for me in August - November.

You wanna see something crazy? Check out January 2012 there:

https://www.wunderground.com/history...eqdb.wmo=99999

Last edited by alex985; 08-10-2017 at 10:08 PM..

Old 08-10-2017, 10:25 PM

308 posts, read 225,284 times
Quote:
Haha, yeah. Those places in interior Alaska cool off remarkably fast in late summer, a very noticeable seasonal lead there. It's exhibited in other months too, for example:

It's fun to watch forecasts for places like Fairbanks or Bettles, etc in August because the transition to autumn is very sudden. Some places can get their first measurable snowfall by the end of August/beginning of September. I believe fall colors peak in these areas in late August too. Pretty cool IMO! Though a bit too cool for me in August - November.

From record cold in January to above average in February. A 20C jump!

Old 08-10-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDavid View Post
From record cold in January to above average in February. A 20C jump!
Remarkable indeed! And March was colder than February that year, something that's pretty uncommon in a climate that's so continental.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:37 AM

Quote:

And I thought the drop in Turku from 21C highs in August to 15C highs in September was dramatic...

I doubt the fall colours peak so early. Even in Utsjoki where the August high is 15C and September 10C, you don't see any colours in August.

Brrr, it's like Yakutsk.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
And I thought the drop in Turku from 21C highs in August to 15C highs in September was dramatic...

I doubt the fall colours peak so early. Even in Utsjoki where the August high is 15C and September 10C, you don't see any colours in August.

Brrr, it's like Yakutsk.
In late August, there's actually a lot of fall color in the interior of Alaska. If you go on Wunderground (I know, I know, the website sucks but it has good pictures) and look up pics from Fairbanks, AK or Tok, AK you can see this.....maybe different species of trees? Also that part of Alaska maybe has stronger August/September cold snaps than Utsjoki? It's honestly surprising to me there wouldn't be color up there on say, August 30 or so.

Ah, I noticed you're talking about peaking. Yeah, probably more in early-mid September (say September 10 or so) in Fairbanks, Bettles is noticeably cooler though. I don't think end of August is out of the question there. But in terms of there being some fall color there definitely is at the end of August in many places in the interior.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
In late August, there's actually a lot of fall color in the interior of Alaska. If you go on Wunderground (I know, I know, the website sucks but it has good pictures) and look up pics from Fairbanks, AK or Tok, AK you can see this.....maybe different species of trees? Also that part of Alaska maybe has stronger August/September cold snaps than Utsjoki? It's honestly surprising to me there wouldn't be color up there on say, August 30 or so.

Ah, I noticed you're talking about peaking. Yeah, probably more in early-mid September (say September 10 or so) in Fairbanks, Bettles is noticeably cooler though. I don't think end of August is out of the question there. But in terms of there being some fall color there definitely is at the end of August in many places in the interior.
Ok, you know Alaska better than me and I believe you.

No, I'm not talking about peaking. The fall colours in northernmost Finland advance very fast: it starts in early September and trees are bare by October. In Utsjoki the peak is on average between 10 - 15 September, in Rovaniemi 15-20 September and Oulu 20-25 September.
More south: Tampere 5-10 October, Turku and Helsinki 10-15 October.

I maded this photo on 30. September 2014 (2C over the average that year). Surprisingly little fall colour. Of course, now when Septembers are always warmer, later peaks will be normality.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather