Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 05:04 PM

607 posts, read 648,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
Las Vegas, NM. January has a mean of excacly 32, so it's borderline Dwb/Cwb. Closest I can find for now.

Ruidoso is Cfb and Pine Springs is Cfa. Neither of those work.
And Las Vegas NM is semi-arid:
(1.8+17.9)/2= 9.85C average annual temp
9.85x20= 197
More than 70% of precipitation in warm half year so add 280= 477mm threshold.
It gets 411mm so it's more than half but less than the threshold; means BSk climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 05:30 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,952,726 times
wet winters are better!!

Old 08-14-2017, 05:50 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
There are also a lot of places that have wetter winters drier summers but are not classified as s climates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_...ington#Climate Cfb
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forks,...hy_and_climate Cfb
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver#Climate Cfb
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitka,_Alaska#Climate Cfb

I have a feeling that many of those interior Canadian cities are mislabeled.
This really points to the inherent fault in using both a specific value and a ratio -on one hand, a 1:3 ratio is deemed crucial because it's says something fundamental about the climate, but then being 1mm over some highly crucial numerical threshold, essentially says that ratio are meaningless.

The 30mm rule needs to go. Ratio defines pattern, not amount.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:54 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,540,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
This really points to the inherent fault in using both a specific value and a ratio -on one hand, a 1:3 ratio is deemed crucial because it's says something fundamental about the climate, but then being 1mm over some highly crucial numerical threshold, essentially says that ratio are meaningless.

The 30mm rule needs to go. Ratio defines pattern, not amount.
Yeah but a mediterranean climate needs to have a dry season.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Yeah but a mediterranean climate needs to have a dry season.
One month with 30 mm hardly defines a dry season -my own climate would see that amount or lower about one summer out of two.

Why is it so important to have a C climate defined by a dry season? - there isn't one defined by a wet season.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:04 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
One month with 30 mm hardly defines a dry season -my own climate would see that amount or lower about one summer out of two.

Why is it so important to have a C climate defined by a dry season? - there isn't one defined by a wet season.
???

Old 08-15-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
???
I don't know what you're questioning?

Old 08-15-2017, 01:44 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
A dry season implies that there is a wet season, also dry seasons add stressors to the environment causing the flora and fauna to adapt creating a different ecology from one area that is consistently wet all year, even if there are periods when it gets even more wet like in SE Alaska.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
A dry season implies that there is a wet season, also dry seasons add stressors to the environment causing the flora and fauna to adapt creating a different ecology from one area that is consistently wet all year, even if there are periods when it gets even more wet like in SE Alaska.
Not entirely true - my climate has similar dry season adaptation of it's native species, to species of northerly European Med climates.

Vegetation doesn't define climate anyway. Somewhere like Eureka Ca,will have little in common with southern Spain, as far as vegetation goes.

Would you say the PNW is consistently wet all year?

Old 08-15-2017, 02:51 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Quote:
Not entirely true - my climate has similar dry season adaptation of it's native species, to species of northerly European Med climates.

Vegetation doesn't define climate anyway. Somewhere like Eureka Ca,will have little in common with southern Spain, as far as vegetation goes.

Would you say the PNW is consistently wet all year?
well of course vegetation will be completely different between different parts of the world, even if the climate is exactly the same, however there should be some convergent evolution such as drought tolerant and fire resistant plants. And the PNW is not constantly wet, which is why it's dominated by s climates. But after looking at NZ vegetation, I do agree it looks some what reminiscent of a Mediterranean climate.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-41.310...2!8i6656?hl=en

Eureka also looks somewhat Mediterranean too, but only on the coast.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8288...2!8i6656?hl=en

but once you move inland it has a more of a oceanic climate
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7919...2!8i6656?hl=en

however coniferous trees are better at tolerating droughts, since their needles don't transpire as much water as broadleaf trees, most coniferous trees live through a drought during winter technically because the water is frozen. Anyway I get what you are saying, but I still think vegetation can give you some cues on what kind of climate exists there. Also New Zealand has that kind of vegetation because it came from Australia which is a very dry continent that experiences a lot of drought, and perhaps NZ experiences drought from time to time as well? Any way the your original question is why define climates by dry season, well do you think that cities such as Sacramento, Rome, and Athens should be grouped with Atlanta, New Orleans, and Sochi? Should all these just be called Ca? Is that your argument?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather