Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2019, 11:29 AM

381 posts, read 248,642 times

Advertisements

Pacific storm downgraded again just like every storm does around here. 1.7” was forecasted yesterday from 1/16 to 1/22, now 1.2” is forecasted from 1/16 to 1/20 while 21 and 22 are getting nothing at all (understandable because places farther south were forecasting sun on those days).

Meanwhile, south Siskiyou County is getting battered. Dunsmuir is getting nearly 3” of rain in one day on Wednesday, and Mount Shasta City is getting a foot of snow tomorrow. In case you’re wondering where all the storms this winter went, they went straight to south Siskiyou.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 04:00 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,505,587 times
I'm feeling really weird inside after walking across a 4-metre wide canal with 10-15 cm snow cover, below freezing for almost a week straight, the ice being formed already a month ago, I've seen people walk on the same body of water prior to the cold snap just fine and with footsteps right in the middle of the canal. Even with all that and the bay frozen over it feels awkward and I'm paranoid about it I don't think I'll ever walk on ice again... it just doesn't feel right to me. Maybe I'm overly afraid but I just don't feel safe. So that attempt to overcome my fears backfired.

The following eight steps had to fit for me to feel able to do it:

1. The dozen cm thick snow cover would mean I’d not touch the ice at all.
2. The path over the water was less than five metres in length.
3. The most important of all – I saw footsteps in the middle of the canal on the snow from someone taking a rather long walk through it right throughout the centre of the mass, where ice sheets usually are at their weakest. He/she was that certain of it holding and the footsteps went quite a bit out onto deeper areas on the bay.
4. The feeling that the ice I walked onto underneath the snow on the edge was rock solid.
5. Knowing that one person per minute passed over the bridge that time of the day, I’d get help in zero time. People would’ve been able to get close enough to me to reach my arms.
6. I had seen parents allow their kids to play on the canal when it had been +2°C a week before, prior to the cold wave, with zero snow shielding and the ice cover had been constantly there for a full month since the Xmas cold without an itch. The last week’s -3°C daily means with virtually no time above zero should’ve gained it even more depth in such a shallow spot.
7. When I was skiing with my family on the bay back in 2003, the snow cover looked exactly the same.
8. The bay is entirely frozen over right now, since it’s basically a lake due to the narrow passage to the ice-free sea.

Still, as soon as I’d completed that completely undramatic crossing in four seconds, feeling like I was just walking on snow, I felt extremely bad conscience towards myself for why I had done that. I wanted to override my fear of ice sheets under safe conditions and this failed miserably. Now I feel even worse about being on them! I'd taken all the precautions I could, deep down knew nothing would happen and it still was really bad afterwards. It's not worth it. My fear of drowning in cold water is just too much...

Last edited by lommaren; 01-23-2019 at 04:17 PM..

Old 01-23-2019, 04:46 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
I've grown so much in faith just in the last few weeks since becoming a Christian. I really feel incredibly blessed. I was walking towards the edge of a cliff, as I have been for half my life, and God snatched me right back.

It is really an amazing feeling. All malcontentment, all want of earthly things or riches... all that is gone! This is better than winning the lottery; you can't take your money with you when you go!

Old 01-23-2019, 05:09 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I've grown so much in faith just in the last few weeks since becoming a Christian. I really feel incredibly blessed. I was walking towards the edge of a cliff, as I have been for half my life, and God snatched me right back.

It is really an amazing feeling. All malcontentment, all want of earthly things or riches... all that is gone! This is better than winning the lottery; you can't take your money with you when you go!
I can spend it before i go bro.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
A life of service to money can never be fulfilling. Most people will spend their whole lives slaving away to get more of it. And the ones who have a lot of it are still mere mortals. The greatest gift is life, which I why it's be pretty foolish to exchange youthful life for being a 90-year-old billionaire. Through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, we can obtain eternal life, if only we turn to Him and fully accept Him into our hearts and souls. Only then will we be saved. God loves us and wants us to be happy and live eternally in paradise, but the wages of sin against God are death. Jesus took the punishment for our sins so that we may live eternally.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:33 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
A life of service to money can never be fulfilling. Most people will spend their whole lives slaving away to get more of it. And the ones who have a lot of it are still mere mortals. The greatest gift is life, which I why it's be pretty foolish to exchange youthful life for being a 90-year-old billionaire. Through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, we can obtain eternal life, if only we turn to Him and fully accept Him into our hearts and souls. Only then will we be saved. God loves us and wants us to be happy and live eternally in paradise, but the wages of sin against God are death. Jesus took the punishment for our sins so that we may live eternally.
I won't have much left when i am gone buying 20 to 30 telescopes a year.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:44 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post

Still, as soon as I’d completed that completely undramatic crossing in four seconds, feeling like I was just walking on snow, I felt extremely bad conscience towards myself for why I had done that. I wanted to override my fear of ice sheets under safe conditions and this failed miserably. Now I feel even worse about being on them! I'd taken all the precautions I could, deep down knew nothing would happen and it still was really bad afterwards. It's not worth it. My fear of drowning in cold water is just too much...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtHUEL8lXSe/

If all those people can do it, you can too.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:23 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,505,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtHUEL8lXSe/

If all those people can do it, you can too.
While that may be true, this was 72 hours of freezing temps later

Either way, it sure looked good when I checked it (the canal) out in broad daylight the day afterwards:

Old 01-28-2019, 10:38 AM

60 posts, read 28,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
While that may be true, this was 72 hours of freeining temps later

Either way, it sure looked good when I checked it (the canal) out in broad daylight the day afterwards:
Nikkaluokta has an average low of -15.5*C in January according to "climate.data.org". That's the website which you use as a source. Now you see how inaccurate climate.data.org website is? I want you to see it.

https://en.climate-data.org/europe/s...luokta-276954/

Last edited by Nikkaluokta; 01-28-2019 at 10:48 AM..

Old 02-03-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Nah. That's such an empty philosophy. My life is complete because of God. Nothing and no one else can give you fulfillment... or eternal life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather