Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2017, 09:42 AM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Much milder and Septemberlike today. Thank lord. I dont care if its above average but lets try to keep the highs above 20° please
Feels mildly humid today, change feels nice for a bit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 09:48 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
ugh; they wrongly imprisoned a US citizen thinking he was an illegal. The immigration agents should be personally paying him hundreds of thousands of damages:

ICE Wrongly Imprisoned an American Citizen for 1,273 Days. Judges Say He
Why "personally" ? Respondeat superior - the government will probably pay

Old 09-05-2017, 09:51 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
On one hand he uses a lot of the same arguments as the far-right here against immigration, but on the other hand I know that cultures like Somalia or Afghanistan are completely different than Mexico or China. Mexicans or Chinese immigrants have been here for centuries and commit crime at very low levels, lower than native-born Americans

Old 09-05-2017, 09:59 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
Quote:
are you in southern France?! Didn't think a Mediterranean climate would get geckos.
Yeah there are plenty or these over here. There are sometimes half a dozen at a time on my terrace. None in Paris though. Do they live in the NE US?

Old 09-05-2017, 10:18 AM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Why "personally" ? Respondeat superior - the government will probably pay
link says the courts decided the government should not pay. But IMO, law enforcement officers and government officials who go beyond the line to abuse their authority should face consequence; immunity is a dangerous precedent and they should not get special privileges.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Yeah there are plenty or these over here. There are sometimes half a dozen at a time on my terrace. None in Paris though. Do they live in the NE US?
I thought they needed hot, wet and humid climates. No, never saw them here. Appears they're only native to Florida, Hawaii, and then the desert southwest and southern california. So they're in dry summer climates here, too.

American Geckos

Old 09-05-2017, 10:35 AM

If they can make it in SoCal, it makes sense that they would survive here. Well yes, winters are quite a bit cooler... Seems like mild winters are a requirement, the regions you stated have the mildest winters in the US. There are probably some of them in places like Georgia or Louisiana though?

Old 09-05-2017, 10:38 AM

13,485 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
We have lots of those here too, they breed in my garden, saw a tiny one earlier when I was watering the plants We have these ones too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_house_gecko

And they sometimes are inside too, which drives the cats mad

We also have Chameleons in Malta: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_chameleon

Also Skinks & Lizards, which you see everywhere, often darting in front of you as you walk along a pavement...

Old 09-05-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post

We also have Chameleons in Malta: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_chameleon
That's pretty cool! Do you have those huge roaches they get in hot climates?

Old 09-05-2017, 10:51 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
Quote:
I thought they needed hot, wet and humid climates. No, never saw them here. Appears they're only native to Florida, Hawaii, and then the desert southwest and southern california. So they're in dry summer climates here, too.

American Geckos
I've already seen some here. It gets pretty hot sometimes here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather