Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2017, 10:52 AM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
That's pretty cool! Do you have those huge roaches they get in hot climates?
well, the Northeast does get huge roaches... at least NYC does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 10:57 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,027,668 times
Quote:
That's pretty cool! Do you have those huge roaches they get in hot climates?
Unfortunately yes, they get wings too *bumshiver*

Old 09-05-2017, 10:59 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
I saw an orange gecko in Upstate NY (not Binghamton, it was closer to Albany). It had very vibrant colors and was a nice surprise

Old 09-05-2017, 11:35 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
American: We have a racist orange cheeto for a president! The highest violent crime rate out of all developed countries! Extremely high inequality and a declining middle class. Half of the country are racist overly religious homophobes! This country sucks! If only I could be in Canada...

Mexican: Our government is corrupt as **** and we have some of the most dangerous cities in the entire world. We barely scrape by with $800 a month and it does not look like it's getting better. Any journalist who tries to report on this will be tortured and shot, and parts of this country are practically warzones. US is not a perfect country but people live well there and have a very good stable government and you can walk at night without fear. If only I could be in the US...

Guatemalan: Our government is even more corrupt! Not only that, but we only make $400 a month. It's impossible to have your own place with that money, I am forced to live with 7 family members in this tiny ****hole in an undeveloped area. Even in the biggest city in the country it still feels completely third-world. I have family members in Mexico, maybe I could go to live with them. Mexico is not a perfect country but at least half of it is civilized and relatively safe. I bet if I go to live in a developed city like Guadalajara or D.F. I can have a peaceful hardworking life. If only I could be in Mexico...

Honduran: Our government is non-existent, this city is run by gangs and sicarios. I barely make $200 a month! I live with a dozen family members have of whom I don't even know. The local gangs demand I make monthly payment or else they will kill me and all of my family. The gangsters also commit horrible crimes against young girls and I fear that my daughters may be next. There must be a way to escape this, maybe I can cross illegally to Guatemala. Guatemala is not a perfect country but at least their murder rate is a third of ours and the major cities are not run by gangs. If only I could be in Guatemala...

Haitian: Government? What government? I live off $1 a day. We used to have a house but it was destroyed in the numerous earthquakes and hurricanes and never repaired. There is no order of any kind, and no food either. I heard there are boats that take you to the coast of Honduras. Honduras is not a perfect country but at least they something to eat! And there is fresh water too. If only I could be in Honduras...

Old 09-05-2017, 12:21 PM

1,772 posts, read 1,504,548 times
Canadian: Winter in my country depresses me, I freeze my ass off for six months of the year in this subartctic hellhole. If I could only live on a tropical island in the Caribbean. I know Haiti isn't a perfect country but at least people there are smiling all the time.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:21 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
lol, these are good

Old 09-05-2017, 12:30 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
If they can make it in SoCal, it makes sense that they would survive here. Well yes, winters are quite a bit cooler... Seems like mild winters are a requirement, the regions you stated have the mildest winters in the US. There are probably some of them in places like Georgia or Louisiana though?
True -geckos don't need a warm climate, just mild winters.

NZ has around 16 species of gecko. It also had the largest gecko,which unfortunately has been extinct for about 120 years.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:52 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Italian Wall Lizards have naturalized here. They only inhabit Long Island and NYC, the winters in rest of the state are too cold to support them. One jumped out of a pile of leaves I walked by last November, startled me for a second lol.

The Five-lined Skink is another lizard I've come across here, but on the rocky cliffs of the Palisades on the border of NY and NJ.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:56 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
South FL has some monster roaches. These ones are especially gross:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_woods_cockroach

Old 09-05-2017, 02:59 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And they fly. I've had them land on me more than once, they're incredibly fast. So gross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather