Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where will Hurricane Irma 2017 Make Landfall?
Bahamas 6 6.98%
Florida 49 56.98%
Georgia 1 1.16%
South Carolina 7 8.14%
North Carolina 9 10.47%
Virginia 1 1.16%
Maryland 0 0%
Delaware 1 1.16%
New Jersey 1 1.16%
New York 1 1.16%
Massachusetts 1 1.16%
Rhode Island 0 0%
Maine 0 0%
Nova Scotia 1 1.16%
Bermuda 1 1.16%
None, staying Out to Sea 7 8.14%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 03:04 PM

1,772 posts, read 1,504,548 times

Advertisements

Why am I the only one voting for Bahamas? Seems like most models agree with this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 03:06 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
Why am I the only one voting for Bahamas? Seems like most models agree with this...
Yes, however, most of us are focused on where it will landfall in the US. We know it will landfall in the Bahamas... its after that most of us are interested in. Cambium should have made the poll where we could vote multiple times.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:09 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Yes, however, most of us are focused on where it will landfall in the US. We know it will landfall in the Bahamas... its after that most of us are interested in. Cambium should have made the poll where we could vote multiple times.
More fun to see who might be right so far out.

I agree, the Bahamas are a safe bet. More interested in seeing where it goes afterwards.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:14 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,353,919 times
Maybe going close to coast but then recurving out to sea with no U.S. landfall? Right now NOAA looks like it's keeping the heaviest rainfall offshore through next Sunday evening.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ral31 View Post
Maybe going close to coast but then recurving out to sea with no U.S. landfall? Right now NOAA looks like it's keeping the heaviest rainfall offshore through next Sunday evening.
Certainly a possibility. Maybe just brushing Florida and the Carolina coastline. Despite storms often going out to sea, there seems to be a lot of talk about the storm being pulled directly into the US. I'm sure Cambium and others with more technical knowledge could elaborate.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Certainly a possibility. Maybe just brushing Florida and the Carolina coastline. Despite storms often going out to sea, there seems to be a lot of talk about the storm being pulled directly into the US. I'm sure Cambium and others with more technical knowledge could elaborate.
Climatology favors the storm going out to sea. However, two things are preventing that; the first and most obvious reason is a large dome of high pressure in the Atlantic ocean that is currently blocking the storms escape north; rather, forcing it on a WSW trajectory for the time being. Second thing is a trough that is supposed to swing through, the timing and strength of this trough is the key, this trough comes before the storm and pulls it on a more westward trajectory. If the trough is strong enough, it will quickly pull Irma westward and possibly catch it and push the high further east, creating a window for Irma to escape northeast too. Second thing that could pull it out to sea is a large area of low pressure that comes behind the trough over southeast Canada that pulls Irma eastward. Only the Euro currently shows that area of low pressure.

Notice at hour 162 how the GFS has the Atlantic high further west, closing off any escape out to sea, and also has an area of high pressure over Pennsylvania that would serve to stall the storms speed, slowing it down.

Now look at the Euro at hour 168; the Atlantic high pressure is much weaker and further east and south, the high pressure over Pennsylvania is further west, allowing for that area of low pressure over southeast Canada to sink south instead of being blocked off by that high like in the GFS. This creates a narrow path for Irma to escape. 18z GFS is rolling now, we will see what she brings.

Hopefully Cambium chimes in, I don't normally make posts this in depth because of my limited knowledge.

Last edited by muslim12; 09-03-2017 at 03:46 PM..

Old 09-03-2017, 03:36 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
I don't know.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hurrica...-live-updates/

Last edited by NCN; 09-03-2017 at 03:46 PM..

Old 09-03-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Climatology favors the storm going out to sea. However, two things are preventing that; the first and most obvious reason is a large dome of high pressure in the Atlantic ocean that is currently blocking the storms escape north; rather, forcing it on a WSW trajectory for the time being. Second thing is a trough that is supposed to swing through, the timing and strength of this trough is the key, this trough comes before the storm and pulls it on a more westward trajectory. If the trough is strong enough, it will quickly pull Irma westward and possibly catch it and push the high further east, creating a window for Irma to escape northeast too. Second thing that could pull it out to sea is a large area of low pressure that comes behind the trough over southeast Canada that pulls Irma eastward. Only the Euro currently shows that area of low pressure.

Notice at hour 162 how the GFS has the Atlantic high further west, closing off any escape out to sea, and also has an area of high pressure over Pennsylvania that would serve to stall the storms speed, slowing it down.

Now look at the Euro at hour 168; the Atlantic high pressure is much weaker and further east and south, the high pressure over Pennsylvania is further west, allowing for that area of low pressure over southeast Canada to sink south instead of being blocked off by that high like in the GFS. This creates a narrow path for Irma to escape. 18z GFS is rolling now, we will see what she brings.

Hopefully Cambium chimes in, I don't normally make posts this in depth because of my limited knowledge.
Yes, the high pressure in the Atlantic makes sense. What I find more interesting is that trough possibly pulling the storm in, or at least keeping it close to the coast.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Yes, the high pressure in the Atlantic makes sense. What I find more interesting is that trough possible pulling the storm in, or at least keeping it close to the coast.
Check the autumn thread, cambium says its very unlikely the trough will pull it in, rather Irma may merge and ride the trough so to speak.

Old 09-03-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Check the autumn thread, cambium says its very unlikely the trough will pull it in, rather Irma may merge and ride the trough so to speak.
What's the difference between merging and being pulled in? Still sounds like it would be getting scooped up by the trough. Maybe I'm overthinking it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather