Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 05:21 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Maple View Post
I can understand why many people say that the UK and Ireland have one of the worst climates... at the end of the day they're cool climates year round. From a cool, dampy and dark winter (and to make it worse it's cool but no snow at all in most areas) to a very long wait for the warmup, which lasts usually from late May or early June to a summer finishing in early September. We can call it summer because it's warmer than the other seasons, but no summer at all, as London, the warmest place, barely manages to have high temps of 23 celsius during 2 months.

Ok, it's not the hell on earth like Djibouti or Saudi Arabia are. But it's not a nice climate, that's why it's included in the worst list by many. Of course, you can find lots of worse climates, just like ultra tropical heavily raining climates, scorching hot deserts or subpolar climates.
Well quite, hence the point I made, the UK should not be included in a list of the worlds 'worst' climates, (neither should Ireland) because as you have said you can find LOTS of worse climates, people put the UK and Ireland on their 'lists' because they are simply using (pretty awful) stereotypes rather than facts. The worlds 'worst' climates have to be climates that kill surely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 05:24 AM

325 posts, read 216,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Best:
US (CA)
South France
Spain
Greece
Australia

Worst:
US (Midwest)
Canada (east of BC)
Norway
Sweden
Finland
Russia
Iceland
Ireland
Scotland
Northern Ireland
North England
I imagine that you choose those countries in your best list because you like Mediterrean climates. So why not Italy or Turkey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Generally, most climates in Alaska except the arctic ones can be matched in Scandinavia. Actually when it comes to Fairbanks, their summers are warmer and sunnier than what Sweden and Finland can manage with winters like those. Anchorage is very similar to Östersund for example. In general, Alaska is very similar to inland mid-and north latitude Sweden, but those regions of Sweden might have slightly cooler, and much cloudier summers.
Actually there is no place in Europe (even in Russia Europe) that has winters like Fairbanks. The closest one is Vorkuta:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorkuta#Climate
and, just like you said it has much cooler summers compared to Fairbanks, and has a much slower warmup (its May is 11,6° C cooler than the Fairbanks one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Makes me laugh when I see places like the UK or Ireland on the 'worst' climate list. As Churchill once pointed out the UK has a climate that you can go out walking in day or night at any time of the year, hardly ever too hot, hardly ever too cold, one minor drought I can remember in my lifetime. I bet the people of Houston can console themselves that despite the fact that their houses have been destroyed by hurricane winds at least they don't have to suffer the 18 - 21 degrees and calm weather that the poor people of London have suffered at the same time. When people are lying on their deathbeds in Africa because they have no crops because it hasn't rained for two years at least they can console themselves that they don't have to suffer the occasional shower or sometimes cloudy day that the poor people of Oxford have to suffer from time to time, and the next time on a Winters morning a Moscovite has to dig his car out of 6 feet of snow to get to work at least he can console himself that he isn't suffering +8 deg C that the poor guy in Plymouth has to contend with as he drives to work - the guy in Plymouth may even have to turn on his 'blowers'! :-D
Actually Moscow winters are not that extreme, they are just colder than European average but especially in the city itself I imagine that there are minor problems regarding ice and snow. Oh, and 6 feet of snow are more than Moscow receives in one average winter.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:40 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathMan View Post
I imagine that you choose those countries in your best list because you like Mediterrean climates. So why not Italy or Turkey?

Actually there is no place in Europe (even in Russia Europe) that has winters like Fairbanks. The closest one is Vorkuta:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorkuta#Climate
and, just like you said it has much cooler summers compared to Fairbanks, and has a much slower warmup (its May is 11,6° C cooler than the Fairbanks one)

Actually Moscow winters are not that extreme, they are just colder than European average but especially in the city itself I imagine that there are minor problems regarding ice and snow. Oh, and 6 feet of snow are more than Moscow receives in one average winter.
You could be right, it depends I suppose what constitutes 'extreme' in peoples minds, Moscow's average winter high is below freezing, I imagine plenty of people die from the cold there every winter. To me that's pretty 'extreme' but then again I hate cold weather, the only bones I've ever broken have been due to cold weather.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:53 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,369,890 times
Moscow is another stereotype city where it snows for 5 months and winter days are -20 the whole time lol

Old 09-08-2017, 01:16 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
We've done best/worst cities and regions when it comes to climate. I don't believe a thread like this has been made; Countries that have the best and worst climates. I'll start:

Best -

South Africa
Australia
Spain
Morocco
Chile
Mexico
Lesotho

Worst -

Russia
China
Canada
Turkey
Indonesia
Thailand
UK
Japan
India
Saudi Arabia
Kuwait
UAE
Malaysia
Iceland
Vietnam
Mongolia
Sudan
Nigeria
Korea
How can a country as massive as China ranging from the sub-arctic to tropics defined as having the worst weather? Southwest China has very mild weather all year long. For the same reason, India does not have one weather (unlike the UK).

Spain: maybe the coast, but southern spain is the hottest part of Europe, exceeding 40C frequently.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:32 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,215,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiromant View Post
Glad to hear, I should visit some time. Definitely a cheaper trip than Alaska.
You are warmly...I mean coldly welcome to visit but if to Lapland is cheaper trip than to Alaska, that is hard for me to say because have not visit in Alaska (Only NY,PA,NC,SC and CA).

Old 09-08-2017, 05:07 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,215,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
USA has a big variety in climates and has a bigger range of climates himself and I like. Nobody is trying to argue that Key West and Barrow have the same climate, just that overall it has the best climates. With your mentality, may as well just choose tiny countries with no variety of climates.

Anyways if we're going to exclude countries with a big variety, then what's the point of this thread?
Question was: Which countries overall have the best/worst climate?
Overall best or overall worst means quite same or near similar climate conditions thru the year.
In this case, worst can be best or best can be worst, depending on person.
Many of answers contains more specification also inside of US, example mid-west of US.
This thread is like personal poll, how person see it and what kind of climate person likes.
Some one likes cold, some one likes hot but it is very hard to believe that some one likes that best is "All kind of climate" and that's why USA.
If using same formula, I could say that climate of UK is best because I can choose between Northern-Scotland or British Virgin Islands.
Or why not answer could be that all countries because all kind of best/worst climates are then available.

Personally, my favor climate is in New Zealand and in northern part of it.
Climate there would be best for me, not too hot and not too cold, around the year.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:13 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,957 times
South Florida ATM.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:57 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
How can a country as massive as China ranging from the sub-arctic to tropics defined as having the worst weather? Southwest China has very mild weather all year long. For the same reason, India does not have one weather (unlike the UK).
Size has nothing to do with anything. Yes, it ranges from subarctic to tropical. But both aren't ideal for me. It lacks mild or temperate, sunny climates akin to those in South Africa and Australia. Above all, its subtropical climates are too damp, humid and cloudy.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:57 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Size has nothing to do with anything. Yes, it ranges from subarctic to tropical. But both aren't ideal for me. It lacks mild or temperate, sunny climates akin to those in South Africa and Australia. Above all, its subtropical climates are too damp, humid and cloudy.
And how does any of this make it the "worst" climate in the world?

China has climates like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xichang#Climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lijiang#Geography

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mengzi...hy_and_climate

They might not be to your taste, but they are milder, sunnier and more comfortable than a lot of countries around the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather