Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2018, 03:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Coldest day in several years in the world's coldest city:

as soon as I saw the city name I knew who posted that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 04:09 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
32 F and HEAVY freezing rain (is that a thing?). WAYYY earlier than was predicted. Here we go!
I been hearing that too that the front is much faster than forecasted. Expecting it to drop here after 5am but not expecting frozen precip.

While you're getting ice there's a Thunderstorm warning to your East with temps in the upper 50s.. This is wild watching this.

Morgantown West Virginia feels like 28°F right now. They were in the 60s couple hours ago

Old 01-12-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Cool to see the Adirondacks getting some nice warm air in the 60's. Very unusual I must say.

If there weren't snowpack in the NE it would probably be in the 70's like down south...
Down south you mean southern NY I assume. I'm surprised we made it to 50s with snow but it was old snow. So much easier to get warmer than we think in recent years but 70s? That's tough. Maybe without the rain or fog or snowpack like you said it could of? NYC only couple times hit 70s in January.

Or if timing of this front came in the evening, not morning, then that last final push of warm air would of happened during the day making it easier to get into the 60s here. Sun down now. No chance.

Adirondacks must be a mess now with the rains. Not sure how much snow was there but the slopes and trails will freeze up tonight.. Sucks hiking or skiing on a layer of ice.

Last edited by Cambium; 01-12-2018 at 04:24 PM..

Old 01-12-2018, 04:29 PM

5,036 posts, read 4,350,891 times
Wow, looks like maybe a decent chance of snow on Tuesday. NWS already calling for 60% chance!

Old 01-12-2018, 04:33 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Got screwed on the rain and only got .20".

Old 01-12-2018, 04:33 PM

1.30" of rain in last 10 hrs. More on the way. Fog so thick. Warm out

Winter Weather Advisory and Thunderstorm Warning in same county.

Dense fog for Coastal CT and Long Island

Old 01-12-2018, 05:28 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
You're right! Didn't realize the ridge popped in the West now. Poor California. Just when they were getting the rains. Guess they can use the break from the flooding though.

Current map with Upper Heights. Omega Block! In the spring time I don't want this kind!

In Spring I want the Omega Block like April 2016. (Top pic below) (so fun to go back on our posts of the past. )
The Top Pic (reverse Omega) is common in early fall when the Pacific High and the Bermuda High still dominate but some arctic intrustions can start into the upper Midwest.

The Bottom Pic (classic Omega) is a good winter pattern for California but brings drought to Texas. Usually that high in the middle stays that way for a while and CA can keep getting pounded by storms.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:42 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Down south you mean southern NY I assume. I'm surprised we made it to 50s with snow but it was old snow. So much easier to get warmer than we think in recent years but 70s? That's tough. Maybe without the rain or fog or snowpack like you said it could of? NYC only couple times hit 70s in January.

Or if timing of this front came in the evening, not morning, then that last final push of warm air would of happened during the day making it easier to get into the 60s here. Sun down now. No chance.

Adirondacks must be a mess now with the rains. Not sure how much snow was there but the slopes and trails will freeze up tonight.. Sucks hiking or skiing on a layer of ice.
We lost all our snowpack during the warm up, took a couple of days to completely melt,
then came the monster cold front this afternoon and now it’s a cold 16F ...down from 54F
and new snow on the ground, maybe you’ll be lucky and get back some snowpack too
I raced around this morning before the cold front to take down my christmas lights,
just made it in time...no hat or mitts needed this morning.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
We lost all our snowpack during the warm up, took a couple of days to completely melt,
then came the monster cold front this afternoon and now it’s a cold 16F ...down from 54F
and new snow on the ground, maybe you’ll be lucky and get back some snowpack too
I raced around this morning before the cold front to take down my christmas lights,
just made it in time...no hat or mitts needed this morning.
I lost mine too. Only piles still around. Feels like everyone is getting this front before me.

4:30-8:30pmEST loop with temps. Watch Binghamton go from upper 50s to mid 30s in couple hours. Lots of us dropping 20+ with this front.

Blizzard conditions in Western Kentucky. Wow Ohio getting hammered too now.

Warm evening here with downpours now and then.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:21 PM

5,036 posts, read 4,350,891 times
Tuesday is looking pretty interesting!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather