Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 05:28 PM

65 posts, read 69,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Sure they would. In Chicago you have two camps of people - those (usually guys) who wear shorts that are actually man-pris almost all year round unless it's a blizzard. Then other folks who start putting their parkas on in September and probably were wearing long sleeves most of the summer!

Yeah when I was in Chicago people dressed normal like New York it was September about 82 degrees and most people were either in long or short sleeves barely anyone was wearing a jacket some people in hoodies and others in shorts, when I was in Scotland people actually thought it was warm when it was 55 and sunny! In winter I have never seen people in shorts in Chicago but I don't live there so who am I to say there are none
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 05:31 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Nobody in London would call 55F 'warm'; that's a typical temperature in late March or early November. In winter it would be called mild.

The only people who would consider 55F a summer temperature would be those living in Lerwick.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:37 PM

13,485 posts, read 9,027,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossifier2017 View Post
When I lived in Scotland when it was 55 F and sunny people said it was way too hot and said oh you can really feel the heat today, what heat? you mean the heat of the sun? no in the air. Not all but some Brits consider cold weather hot. When it hits 70 and sunny there a lot of people actually believe the air is warm and it would take the sun going behind a cloud to convince them otherwise. As far as winter is concerned yes we have colder winters than the UK, even though we are much closer to the equator. Anything above 50 is mild in winter for me, probably the same in UK, although New York City isn't as cold as some other US cities in winter we are only about 5 degrees F colder than the UK
Well that's Scotland, but even so I doubt many Scots would class 13C as "hot", unless they live at the summit of Ben Nevis...

There is quite a difference between temperatures in Scotland & southern England in summer & winter too.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Nobody in London would call 55F 'warm'; that's a typical temperature in late March or early November. In winter it would be called mild.

The only people who would consider 55F a summer temperature would be those living in Lerwick.
No because London is the warmest place in the UK but when I lived in Scotland some, but not all people thought 55 with sun was warm. Simply because they never get sun, i don't know I think you have to be pretty stupid to think that is warm no matter how strong the sun is, and yeah I seen a lot of people in shorts and t shirt in 60 degree weather in Glasgow, back in the states that is almost unheard of.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Well that's Scotland, but even so I doubt many Scots would class 13C as "hot", unless they live at the summit of Ben Nevis...

There is quite a difference between temperatures in Scotland & southern England in summer & winter too.

Well it is more than you would think a lot of scots think 13 C is really hot if it is sunny, at least the people at Loch Lomond would, but I imagine most would agree it is quite cool, there isn't that big a difference between weather in Scotland and England, I mean Glasgow gets 65 in July, London gets 70, Glasgow gets 45 in January and so does London, 10 hour drive away. I am 11 hours from Chicago and both NYC and Chicago get 85 in July, but we get 35 in January and Chicago get 30, so not that big a difference but still a small difference in Scotland/Southern England and also in my country with Chicago and NYC.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:08 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
I think most people would notice a major difference between a 68F average high and a 75F average high in July.

Winters are closer but London is much sunnier and drier than Glasgow. Compare Lerwick to Portsmouth, they are totally different climates (Portsmouth's night time lows are warmer than Lerwick's maximum temps).

Old 10-27-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I think most people would notice a major difference between a 68F average high and a 75F average high in July.

Winters are closer but London is much sunnier and drier than Glasgow. Compare Lerwick to Portsmouth, they are totally different climates (Portsmouth's night time lows are warmer than Lerwick's maximum temps).
Yeah Lerwick is closer to Norway than it is to Scotland about 800 miles from Portsmouth which is practically almost in France. Just did some research. Lerwick gets 55 in July and 45 in January. Portsmouth gets 70 in July and 45 in January, so both cities have the same winter weather despite, Lerwick being so far up north, and warmer weather in summer in Portsmouth, very similar climates if you ask me, but the biggest difference is the summer time. with a 15 F gap. 800 miles from where I am is Atlanta GA. I get 85 degree July weather. Atlanta gets 90 degrees so 5 F difference in summer, in winter I get 35 and atlanta gets 55 so there is a bigger gap in winter between Atlanta and New York than Lerwick, the most northern UK city and Portsmouth the most southern, UK weather just isn't that varied and London is only slightly sunnier than Glasgow. Glasgow gets 8 % less sun than London and 10 % more rain. Compare that to America LA gets 15 % more sun than NYC and NYC gets 25 % more rain than LA.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:39 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
People are tough here...Canadians ...we wear shorts when it's only 10C / 50F,
see it all the time here. People will wearing shorts and t-shirts.

Opposite is Jamaican guest workers working in the orchards in summer
wearing winter coats and wool caps!

Old 10-27-2017, 10:16 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,410,408 times
Quote:
Yeah Lerwick is closer to Norway than it is to Scotland about 800 miles from Portsmouth which is practically almost in France. Just did some research. Lerwick gets 55 in July and 45 in January. Portsmouth gets 70 in July and 45 in January, so both cities have the same winter weather despite, Lerwick being so far up north, and warmer weather in summer in Portsmouth, very similar climates if you ask me, but the biggest difference is the summer time. with a 15 F gap. 800 miles from where I am is Atlanta GA. I get 85 degree July weather. Atlanta gets 90 degrees so 5 F difference in summer, in winter I get 35 and atlanta gets 55 so there is a bigger gap in winter between Atlanta and New York than Lerwick, the most northern UK city and Portsmouth the most southern, UK weather just isn't that varied and London is only slightly sunnier than Glasgow. Glasgow gets 8 % less sun than London and 10 % more rain. Compare that to America LA gets 15 % more sun than NYC and NYC gets 25 % more rain than LA.
Sorry if I'm nitpicking but what's your method to measure those stats, any proofs? I believe Glasgow receive about ≈-20% less sun and ≈+100%(twice) more precipitation than London. While LA(Downtown) receive ≈+28% more sun and ≈-70% less precipitation than NYC.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:22 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Quote:
Yeah 65 isn't that cold but you guys have cool summers so I guess you aren't really used to 80 degree weather like I am. I get 85 most days in summer, sometimes warmer.
I personally love the heat and don’t consider it hot until 85+ but won’t start complaining until 95+ but yeah a lot of people in Seattle are not used to the heat. A typical summer day will be 75 - 80 which I consider to be very warm, but not hot. Also it starts hitting 65 on a regular basis in May and stops between Sep/Oct. Durring that same period in NYC its 70+ so I imagine that would be T-shirt weather for you guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather