Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 03:57 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times

Advertisements

London sun hours: 1633 (129% of Glasgow's sun)
Glasgow sun hours: 1265

London rainfall: 602mm
Glasgow rainfall: 1245mm (207% of London's rainfall)

Portsmouth: 49/41 in Jan, 71/59 in July.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southsea

It rains on roughly 1in 4 days in London and 1 in 2 days in Glasgow.

Clueless...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 04:43 AM

65 posts, read 69,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
London sun hours: 1633 (129% of Glasgow's sun)
Glasgow sun hours: 1265

London rainfall: 602mm
Glasgow rainfall: 1245mm (207% of London's rainfall)

Portsmouth: 49/41 in Jan, 71/59 in July.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southsea

It rains on roughly 1in 4 days in London and 1 in 2 days in Glasgow.

Clueless...
No you are clueless. I just explained to you but you are not listening 400 + hours is abut 8 % more London is extremely cloudy as is Glasgow 33 in London and 25 in Glasgow rains 55/100 London 45/100 not 25 like you wrongly said. It rains only slightly more in Glasgow not by a lot. Portsmouth in July 70/55 lets not argue over a degree, and in January I have 45/35. Stop being immature Scotland and England have the same weather period.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:50 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
I guess it all depends on what you're used to.

For instance here now in october, most days have lows around 10c and highs in the 17-20c range. it is mostly mild to cool at night, but I already see many people wearing what I'd wear during a cold december , heavy jacket, scarf, you name it. But then I also see people (usually young and from here) wearing shorts, so it depends.

Usually southerners tend to wear more clothing, they are not used to sub-10c highs and consider a sub-15c high like a winter day.

Conversely I was in Munich about a year ago and saw many people wearing very light jackets or a simple hoodie over a tshirt at 8c, which is what I'd wear at 18c.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I guess it all depends on what you're used to.

For instance here now in october, most days have lows around 10c and highs in the 17-20c range. it is mostly mild to cool at night, but I already see many people wearing what I'd wear during a cold december , heavy jacket, scarf, you name it. But then I also see people (usually young and from here) wearing shorts, so it depends.

Usually southerners tend to wear more clothing, they are not used to sub-10c highs and consider a sub-15c high like a winter day.

Conversely I was in Munich about a year ago and saw many people wearing very light jackets or a simple hoodie over a tshirt at 8c, which is what I'd wear at 18c.

Yes sometimes it depends on that but sometimes it doesn't I have been in Spain in 80 degree weather and seen most people in shorts and did the same in New York at 80 degrees and most people in jeans even though Americans are used to much colder weather, sure you Italians are not used to cold like we Americans are but when I was in Italy in March it was 70 degrees and most people dressed the same as New Yorkers would at 70 degrees light sweaters.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:59 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossifier2017 View Post
No you are clueless. I just explained to you but you are not listening 400 + hours is abut 8 % more London is extremely cloudy as is Glasgow 33 in London and 25 in Glasgow rains 55/100 London 45/100 not 25 like you wrongly said. It rains only slightly more in Glasgow not by a lot. Portsmouth in July 70/55 lets not argue over a degree, and in January I have 45/35. Stop being immature Scotland and England have the same weather period.
Which part of the UK do you live in?

Old 10-28-2017, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Which part of the UK do you live in?
I live in the US but I lived in Scotland about 8 years ago when I was a student and have visited London and Manchester and researched the **** out of uk climate. In America we have states UK is same size as Florida which has pretty similar climate all over the state.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Yes sometimes it depends on that but sometimes it doesn't I have been in Spain in 80 degree weather and seen most people in shorts and did the same in New York at 80 degrees and most people in jeans even though Americans are used to much colder weather, sure you Italians are not used to cold like we Americans are but when I was in Italy in March it was 70 degrees and most people dressed the same as New Yorkers would at 70 degrees light sweaters.
The climate in Milan or Bologna is not that different from NYC though, winters actually do get cold up here, they're just a lot more stable than the East Coast (like, we rarely go below -5c in winter but then most days in January are in the 0-8c range).

Yeah, South Italy is quite a bit milder, they usually complain about the cold as soon as september kicks in.

Maybe in big cities people also like to dress with more style and less casually, I don't know. That said, in Italy people tend to think "good clothing" = designer jeans + shiny down jackets whereas for instance, go to France and even during a cold blast most people will keep on wearing a light sweater with a traditional coat or a leather jacket with a scarf and refuse to wear mountain attire, so I guess there are also cultural aspects to it. In Germany it feels like people tend to favour comfort and practicality over style for instance.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
The climate in Milan or Bologna is not that different from NYC though, winters actually do get cold up here, they're just a lot more stable than the East Coast (like, we rarely go below -5c in winter but then most days in January are in the 0-8c range).

Yeah, South Italy is quite a bit milder, they usually complain about the cold as soon as september kicks in.

Maybe in big cities people also like to dress with more style and less casually, I don't know. That said, in Italy people tend to think "good clothing" = designer jeans + shiny down jackets whereas for instance, go to France and even during a cold blast most people will keep on wearing a light sweater with a traditional coat or a leather jacket with a scarf and refuse to wear mountain attire, so I guess there are also cultural aspects to it. In Germany it feels like people tend to favour comfort and practicality over style for instance.

North Italy is obviously the coldest part of the country, but you rarely go below -5 c which is a normal January low in NYC we rarely go below -15 C but do sometimes. Yes NYC is quite a bit colder than North Italy and a lot colder than south Italy even though NYC is closer to the equator than Rome and Naples! But yes I prefer comfort over style and most New Yorkers wrap up in winter hat scarves gloves, big jackets, I was in the UK in January it was 0 C and most people weren't even wearing gloves but then again UK has mild winters, but yeah your January weather 0 - 8 c is like March weather in New York.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
North Italy is obviously the coldest part of the country, but you rarely go below -5 c which is a normal January low in NYC we rarely go below -15 C but do sometimes. Yes NYC is quite a bit colder than North Italy and a lot colder than south Italy even though NYC is closer to the equator than Rome and Naples! But yes I prefer comfort over style and most New Yorkers wrap up in winter hat scarves gloves, big jackets, I was in the UK in January it was 0 C and most people weren't even wearing gloves but then again UK has mild winters, but yeah your January weather 0 - 8 c is like March weather in New York.
On average we're not significantly milder than NYC though, it's just that there's a lot more variability to weather in the USA, whereas in North Italy we tend to have super stable weather most of the year so we're close to the average. Our January average here is still around 2 or 3c, so it's milder than NYC, but similar to DC I guess. Except DC probably gets 20c in January more often than us and more snow events I guess. Usually here it's mostly damp cold with the occasional snow event once in a while.

Maybe our March weather is milder though, a normal day in March would be more like 5/14c. It is spring weather mostly.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:48 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,676,644 times
We have to consider the fact that people in some places (especially Italy, Japan and many other countries) think that "cool" (5/15 °C --- 40/60 °F) weather is dangerous and you can get whatever illness if you don't dress "heavily", so children are dressed with warm jackets, and even when they grow up, they still believe they can get ill, so they still wear warm jackets, even though they would be more comfortable with lighter clothing. Other countries (especially the "New World") have gotten past this "tradition", and understand that "cool" weather isn't dangerous. That's why in some countries, even though they have the same climate, people dress differently.

It would be very interesting to compare, for example, how people dress in Naples vs Talca vs Kagoshima vs Wagga Wagga (four different cultures).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather