Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 07:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

The storm yesterday was a bit Sandy-like; tropical storm remnant [Phillipe] merged with a strong cold front. Of course, Sandy was far stronger than Phillipe and maintained its tropical status until just before landfall. Sandy wasn't particularly heavy rainfall-wise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 07:12 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Why must we drag God, or even religion into this...............nature does what it pleases, there is no conspiracy or causative effect around the 29th of October or around any date for that matter, weather events are just weather events, whether the impacts are catastrophic or not has nothing to do with God or any religious belief
Remember "beware the Ides of March"? And there is no particular history of March 15 storms.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YITYNR View Post
But nature doesn't care that humans have deemed today "29 October". It's coincidence. As for God, many people don't believe in one, and as for climate change, must we bring politics into everything?

Liberal Logic #13801.
I didn't mention climate change. Heck, I don't even believe in it, and I'm politically an extremely liberal Democrat. I was kidding about divine intervention. As for the date that literally would be a coincidence but I believe there is a strong focusing of major events because both major tropical events such as Sandy and major winter events such as the 2011 blizzard can happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The storm yesterday was a bit Sandy-like; tropical storm remnant [Phillipe] merged with a strong cold front. Of course, Sandy was far stronger than Phillipe and maintained its tropical status until just before landfall. Sandy wasn't particularly heavy rainfall-wise
Sandy's rain actually focused from about mid-Jersey on south. New York City got maybe 1/2" of rain from Sandy. The thing about Sandy was that it moved from southeast to northwest, at about a 140 angle. That is both unusual and highly damaging. The reason for it being extremely damaging is that trees are "used to" the strongest sustained winds gong from 040 (northeast) to 320 (northwest) as a storm passes. Unrelenting east-southeast winds were a major part of the lethal cocktail of Sandy.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Yes it's all climate change. It's a conspiracy. Jet fuel can't melt steel beams. Hurricanes don't just decide to form by themselves, no doubt this had some outside "help"
I posted on DailyKos a few months after Katrina that George W. Bush aimed Katrina at New Orleans to kill black people. Some people took me seriously.

It took about 12 hours and 20 posts to draw a "snark."

Old 10-30-2017, 08:27 PM

More evidence about "this time of the year," including the aforementioned October 29, 2011 snowstorm, one year to the day before Sandy. The bottom quoted post has pictures I took of that storm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Looking through my weather logs I found something interesting...

Mother Nature Anniversary date??

Oct 29, 2011: Big Snowstorm to the coast
Oct 29, 2012: Hurricane Sandy which produced big snows in Maryland & Virginias
Oct 28, 2015: Lake Cutter storm some snow for MN & WI
Oct 27, 2016: Clipper snows for NY, CT, MA, VT
Oct 29, 2017: Big Coastal storm maybe snows for Blue ridge mountains, Poconos & Adirondacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't think this relates to climate change since these storms, while rare and notable, seem well-spaced through the pre-industrial 1800's, the 1900's and the 2000's.

There was also a notable storm on October 29, 2011, a year to the day before Sandy, that brought destructive accumulations of up to 6" on leafed-out trees into parts of northern New York City (as opposed to state). I drove from Scarsdale to Pelham that day aroind 11:00 a.m. in a normal amount of time of around 20 minutes. The return trip took over an hour.

The first picture was shot at my destination in Pelham/New Rochelle, visiting a sick congregant in rehab, during the storm. The second two were shot the next day, cataloguing the beautiful devastation in Rye Brook, about 26 miles east-northeast of New York City, on the CT border.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:57 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Sandy's rain actually focused from about mid-Jersey on south. New York City got maybe 1/2" of rain from Sandy. The thing about Sandy was that it moved from southeast to northwest, at about a 140 angle. That is both unusual and highly damaging. The reason for it being extremely damaging is that trees are "used to" the strongest sustained winds gong from 040 (northeast) to 320 (northwest) as a storm passes. Unrelenting east-southeast winds were a major part of the lethal cocktail of Sandy.
never heard of wind direction affecting damage before. But here's the surface weather map for all three storms. October 29, 2011 snowstorm

clear northeaster. Strong low, sitting east of New England, funneling cold air and precipitation. October 29, 2012 hurricane:

a 950 hPa low! An enormous storm. About to merge with an occluded front to the west, a blocking high to the west and east, I think. October 29, 2017:

occluded front, but small tropical system far to the south. Image is from 7 am, the low would strength and "bomb" late in the evening, though obviously not to Sandy's scale. High pressure is where the low was in 2011. So, some similarities to Sandy's, but huge differences. 2011 setup isn't similar at all.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:06 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Just an observation.

Maybe, maybe not but this makes you wonder.
Hmmm, it is the birthday of Enrico Fermi...

And his arrival in the US was in New York...

And he was promptly hired in the Manhattan Project...

Old 10-31-2017, 05:38 AM

Quote:
never heard of wind direction affecting damage before.
I had never heard of that aspect until Sandy; perhaps because it's so rare. Floyd, Irene, Gloria and Agnes, all tropical storms and hurricanes impacting the area, had northeasterly winds switching to northwest, as happened with the October 29, 2011 snowstorm.

Quote:
But here's the surface weather map for all three storms. October 29, 2011 snowstorm

clear northeaster. Strong low, sitting east of New England, funneling cold air and precipitation. October 29, 2012 hurricane:

a 950 hPa low! An enormous storm. About to merge with an occluded front to the west, a blocking high to the west and east, I think. October 29, 2017:

occluded front, but small tropical system far to the south. Image is from 7 am, the low would strength and "bomb" late in the evening, though obviously not to Sandy's scale. High pressure is where the low was in 2011. So, some similarities to Sandy's, but huge differences. 2011 setup isn't similar at all.
Links to maps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather