Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2017, 07:06 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptunepenguins View Post
I do agree in that people for whatever reason will exaggerate their own climate even though they live there. I know a guy from Arizona who claims that it gets to 130F on a yearly bases even though the record high for his city is 128F. I've seen people state the wind chill as the actual temperature as well(mostly in cold climates). So it can happen. I am not sure if the person from San Francisco is doing that however.
I'm not; trust me. I won't engage with the other poster anymore, since they refuse to listen (and even threw in a "personal attack" for good measure) - but there's a reason why SF is famous for its colder summers and fog! It's not Alaska, of course, but much cooler than people expect when they visit California. People who aren't from here tend to lump ALL of California together, and confuse us with the warm/sunny weather and beaches of Southern CA. If you pack according to those misconceptions, you'll be in for a rude awakening.

That being said, I think everyone tends to exaggerate (at least a little) about weather in general. Folks in SF act like they're dying if it gets above 75F, and use words like FREEZING if it drops below 50F. I've lived in way more extreme climates previously, so I'm not as much of a baby as most Californians... when I lived in Lake Tahoe, for example, it was often ZERO degrees and occasionally below. Now that's cold!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 01:10 AM

1,218 posts, read 683,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm not; trust me. I won't engage with the other poster anymore, since they refuse to listen (and even threw in a "personal attack" for good measure) - but there's a reason why SF is famous for its colder summers and fog! It's not Alaska, of course, but much cooler than people expect when they visit California. People who aren't from here tend to lump ALL of California together, and confuse us with the warm/sunny weather and beaches of Southern CA. If you pack according to those misconceptions, you'll be in for a rude awakening.

That being said, I think everyone tends to exaggerate (at least a little) about weather in general. Folks in SF act like they're dying if it gets above 75F, and use words like FREEZING if it drops below 50F. I've lived in way more extreme climates previously, so I'm not as much of a baby as most Californians... when I lived in Lake Tahoe, for example, it was often ZERO degrees and occasionally below. Now that's cold!!
As I said already, San Francisco has more sun than San Diego, you can’t deny that because it’s a FACT when comparing the Wikipedia weatherboxes. And what warm beaches in southern CA are you talking about? Santa Monica isn’t that much warmer than San Francisco in the summer.

And soon as you like it so much I’ll include some opinion. That is that I think that climates like San Francisco and Santa Monica are better than Los Angeles and San Diego, because they get the same or almost the same sun but have much more comfortable temperatures

Calling you dumb because you thought a video was a picture is a “personal attack” LOL, you’re such a snowflake

Old 12-20-2017, 07:14 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,092,197 times
Santa Monica feels a lot warmer than San Francisco in the summer especially in the morning and nights. The water is also much warmer. The only way to see this is to go to both places. Weather stats won't tell you the whole story.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Santa Monica feels a lot warmer than San Francisco in the summer especially in the morning and nights. The water is also much warmer. The only way to see this is to go to both places. Weather stats won't tell you the whole story.
Well it isn’t much warmer, the FACTS are that it’s only a couple of degrees warmer and has far less days above 27C than SF does. In June 23C is unusual in Santa Monica, whereas it reaches 30C almost every year in SF. It does have warmer nights though yes. There are places in the south east of England that have higher average maxes than Santa Monica. In a way it makes it good because I hate heat, that June looks almost perfect!

Old 12-20-2017, 09:35 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,320,068 times
I moved from central New Jersey to Denver. Everyone I grew up with treated it like I was moving to the Arctic. But, unless you're in the mountains, usually the weather is warmer and dryer where I am than in my home state. We have a few extreme cold snaps, but mostly it's quite comfortable and it's not unusual to see people wearing shorts in February. I went to school in New Hampshire, and the winters here have NOTHING on that state.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I moved from central New Jersey to Denver. Everyone I grew up with treated it like I was moving to the Arctic. But, unless you're in the mountains, usually the weather is warmer and dryer where I am than in my home state. We have a few extreme cold snaps, but mostly it's quite comfortable and it's not unusual to see people wearing shorts in February. I went to school in New Hampshire, and the winters here have NOTHING on that state.
LOL No, Denver isn’t arctic. It’s 18C (64F) right now on a winter’s day. But it can have periods of extremely cold weather and it does look particularly cold next week. It also has extreme but exciting temperature swings, particularly in winter. Get ready for the snow tonight

Old 12-20-2017, 01:12 PM

7,728 posts, read 6,409,840 times
People think it's constantly snowing and frigid in Minnesota not only in winter but even in spring and fall. Winters here aren't that big a deal in reality. It certainly does get frigid and it's fixing to for Christmas with a low of -15, but it's not a winter long thing. It's a few weeks in the season like that, most the winter is highs in 20s lows flirting between teens and single digits. For some that's too "brutal" for me it's perfect. I was complaining about highs in the 30s and 40s the other days cuz it melted some of the snow lol

I think we have perfect 4 seasons here it's just that winter is SHARP. It's gonna get cold don't get me wrong, ruthlessly cold even, but not for 3 months straight. If you consider any temp under 32 to be brutal then yea it's practically Hoth, but I don't. It's 19 and snowing right now that is honestly not that bad. Before I experienced temps in the teens I thought it would feel worse than it does. Folks exaggerate.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
People think Phoenix and all of Arizona is hot year round. When in actuality, places above 5,000ft/1,500m elevation don't even get hot, and the lowlands are mild during the winter, while the high elevations are downright cold in winter
I remember a Christmas special of King of the Hill where Hank and Bobby drive to Phoenix to deliver a present for Hank's mom and in one scene they say the thermometer in the truck is reading "110" or so. I know Arizona is hot but come on, it's NOT 110 in December! Also in that same episode they end up on a snowy mountain so they got that part accurate.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
That Las Vegas is "always hot."
Yea I was pleasantly surprised to find temps in the 30s when I was down there last December. I was on a 6 hour layover from Portland to Dallas and decided to walk around the strip. So glad I didn't have to lug around a jacket and I could keep mine on.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
People think it's constantly snowing and frigid in Minnesota not only in winter but even in spring and fall. Winters here aren't that big a deal in reality. It certainly does get frigid and it's fixing to for Christmas with a low of -15, but it's not a winter long thing. It's a few weeks in the season like that, most the winter is highs in 20s lows flirting between teens and single digits. For some that's too "brutal" for me it's perfect. I was complaining about highs in the 30s and 40s the other days cuz it melted some of the snow lol

I think we have perfect 4 seasons here it's just that winter is SHARP. It's gonna get cold don't get me wrong, ruthlessly cold even, but not for 3 months straight. If you consider any temp under 32 to be brutal then yea it's practically Hoth, but I don't. It's 19 and snowing right now that is honestly not that bad. Before I experienced temps in the teens I thought it would feel worse than it does. Folks exaggerate.
Crazy that it can get that cold though! A high of -17C on Boxing Day? In my dreams, maybe 8 degrees further north where I live. Your forecast alone has temperatures that far exceed my record coldest maximum. Coldest day since records began in 1973 was a high of -8.3C and coldest low -22C. Today it was 13.4C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather