Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2018, 04:46 AM

607 posts, read 648,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
When is the last time they had a crop failure? Never heard that before.
2012. Several home-grown vegetables were almost impossible to get hold of during the summer that year due to the weather. I remember the understatement signs in the shops: "Due to the challenging weather in the UK we are unable to offer a full supply of...." (Translation: "Since it has been raining constantly for 3 months despite being high summer, we have no .... at all, hence the empty shelves you can see everywhere"). Many parts of the UK had several notably poor harvests in the late 2000s and early 2010s.

However, it doesn't have the same effect it would have done 500 years ago. It's so much easier to get hold of imported stuff, and we have a much more varied diet. So we don't tend to think of it as a "failure" the way they did in the old days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 08:07 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,017,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longaotian View Post
.....mild winters that is. The summers are subarctic
Sub arctic!? Put it this way they are milder than the Northern US, milder than the rest of Northern Europe too, whichever way you look at it I would suggest that 'mild' or benign or hell yeah even quite pleasant is a very good way to describe the climate of the UK.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:11 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,951,905 times
I'd personally describe it as dull and uninteresting.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshie79 View Post
2012. Several home-grown vegetables were almost impossible to get hold of during the summer that year due to the weather. I remember the understatement signs in the shops: "Due to the challenging weather in the UK we are unable to offer a full supply of...." (Translation: "Since it has been raining constantly for 3 months despite being high summer, we have no .... at all, hence the empty shelves you can see everywhere"). Many parts of the UK had several notably poor harvests in the late 2000s and early 2010s.

However, it doesn't have the same effect it would have done 500 years ago. It's so much easier to get hold of imported stuff, and we have a much more varied diet. So we don't tend to think of it as a "failure" the way they did in the old days.
There are obvious variations season to season (like anywhere else on the planet), sometimes its been a bit cold or wet sometimes too hot or too dry for a 'bumper' crop but I wouldn't say the UK has suffered crop failure before (perhaps the Irish potato famine is the closest thing). As an example I would consider the starving people of different parts of Africa on different occasions to have suffered a 'crop failure'. Britain has a very good climate for growing food, rain tends to fall as showers and pretty evenly all year, mild winter temperatures make for a long growing season that's one of the main reasons it has had so many different peoples settle here throughout the centuries, the islands are famous for being a 'green and pleasant land' for that very reason.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:07 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Sub arctic!? Put it this way they are milder than the Northern US, milder than the rest of Northern Europe too, whichever way you look at it I would suggest that 'mild' or benign or hell yeah even quite pleasant is a very good way to describe the climate of the UK.
Benign or mild sound right, but pleasant implies an enjoyable climate. I think the worst 4-5 months of the year don't seem like a particularly enjoyable climate in the UK.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1702 View Post
You could even stretch it to 7 in most areas or even more in more Northern areas. Parts of Scotland could not be said to be pleasant on average at any time of the year.
I agree. I think all people (with medical exceptions etc) share a similar level of what their body finds pleasant vs unpleasant. I think the warmer parts of England, are right on the margin of that level, during the middle shoulder months of each shoulder season.

Last edited by Joe90; 01-04-2018 at 01:54 PM..

Old 01-04-2018, 03:02 PM

658 posts, read 359,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
I'd personally describe it as dull and uninteresting.
Much as I don't like the cold wind and rain we get in winter the UK climate is anything but dull and uninteresting from a weather recording perspective. It's very changeable and often totally different in any month from one year to the next. Its variation makes it really interesting to me. It's what keeps motivating me to do my weather records which are in their 10th year now.

Its easy for someone to look at a Wikipedia climate box and think it looks boring but it's only showing monthly averages and not the day to day variation and changes in weather patterns. Boring looking climate but interesting weather. I like how any kind of weather can happen, even if it's not as extreme when it does.

I think Mediterranean and desert climates are by far the most boring on earth, and most of Australia's. While I find UK summers too cool for my liking, their range of weather and temperatures make them very interesting for weather watching, rather than having 90 days of endless blue sky and boring weather in some med paradise.

Last edited by Northnomad; 01-04-2018 at 03:13 PM..

Old 01-05-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Benign or mild sound right, but pleasant implies an enjoyable climate. I think the worst 4-5 months of the year don't seem like a particularly enjoyable climate in the UK.
It IS an enjoyable climate, why wouldn't it be? You can enjoy the great outdoors at any time of the year day or night (something Churchill himself commented on I believe). It might not be the worlds best climate but nevertheless unlike a lot of places on this planet its a climate that you can deal with very easily, that surely is pleasant?

Old 01-05-2018, 07:17 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,122,874 times
Easy to deal with yes but not necessarily pleasant. Los Angeles, San Diego, Malaga, Nice are examples of pleasant climates

Old 01-05-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
It IS an enjoyable climate, why wouldn't it be? You can enjoy the great outdoors at any time of the year day or night (something Churchill himself commented on I believe). It might not be the worlds best climate but nevertheless unlike a lot of places on this planet its a climate that you can deal with very easily, that surely is pleasant?
Enjoying the great outdoors is one thing, but how about the expectation of a nice cup of tea outside in the winter, in short sleeves? -unless that's a realistic expectation on a majority of winter days, I wouldn't call the winters pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather