Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 12:56 AM

384 posts, read 272,195 times

Advertisements

Still too early to tell if this year will measure up with 1981-82, one of the coldest winters on record. That year's AFC Championship Game between the San Diego Chargers and Cincinnati Bengals measured right up with the Ice Bowl of fifteen years earlier as one of the coldest NFL games ever played. The temperature at Riverfront Stadium that afternoon was double digits subzero, so cold the chains measuring the down and distance froze to the field. Locations in the Upper Midwest and Great Lakes saw significant snowfall and recorded single digit temperatures as late as April 6th and 7th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 10:57 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by droc31 View Post
Still too early to tell if this year will measure up with 1981-82, one of the coldest winters on record. That year's AFC Championship Game between the San Diego Chargers and Cincinnati Bengals measured right up with the Ice Bowl of fifteen years earlier as one of the coldest NFL games ever played. The temperature at Riverfront Stadium that afternoon was double digits subzero, so cold the chains measuring the down and distance froze to the field. Locations in the Upper Midwest and Great Lakes saw significant snowfall and recorded single digit temperatures as late as April 6th and 7th.
Well most likely the NFC Championship will be in the indoor heated stadium in Minneapolis and the AFC Championship could be played in frigid conditions in New England. The Superbowl will be played in an indoor heated stadium in Minneapolis.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:36 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
Canadas fault . Pushin their cold air down here who do they think they are?
Nope, it’s Siberia’s fault! We’re just pushing it through to you guys

Old 12-31-2017, 10:19 AM

193 posts, read 216,743 times
Montreal has been absolutely horrid since this tuesday 12/26. Since tuesday, temperature has been hovering between -17°C(2°F) and -25°C(-13°F). And it looks like this trend will continue at least for another 10 days, except a few days. At least it's sunny. Usually it's overcast this time of the year, which is its own category of bad.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:42 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
It is caused by the southward movement of the jetstream.

What's causing that: existing climate variability or structural change in circulation patters. Unfortunately, it will take many years of observations to determine what is causing this with any reliable degree of statistical confidence. This is always the case with extreme events.

Last edited by Frihed89; 12-31-2017 at 12:02 PM..

Old 12-31-2017, 01:29 PM

3,862 posts, read 3,140,061 times
The Polar Vortex. It normally keeps the cold air centered around the polar region. The polar vortex has always varied in strength. When it is in it weakened phrase the cold air from the polar region slips farther southwards. Some scientists believe that the melting of the Arctic sea ice is allowing more heat and energy to escape from the ocean thereby weakening the polar vortex winds over the Arctic and making the weakening phrases longer. Other scientists think other factors may play a bigger role such as long term variations in surface sea temperatures such as El Nino and changes in the tropics.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:03 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Just remember...its a puzzle. Theres more than 1 reason (piece), theres mutiple pieces to a pattern or an event.

As far as where its coming from?
U.S gets it from 3 cold sources.
Current one from the Arctic but a more east track than shown here
Good post. A lot of people think that the cold fronts moving South through the continental US are from Canada. Those fronts originate and Siberia, and travel down through Alaska where its already cold, then through Canada.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesse View Post
Montreal has been absolutely horrid since this tuesday 12/26. Since tuesday, temperature has been hovering between -17°C(2°F) and -25°C(-13°F). And it looks like this trend will continue at least for another 10 days, except a few days. At least it's sunny. Usually it's overcast this time of the year, which is its own category of bad.
Doesn't Montreal also have abnormally early sunsets (pre-4:00pm) this time of year? Only places I can think besides Quebec outside the polar latitudes with sunsets that early are Maine, Spokane Washington, and South Dakota.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Well most likely the NFC Championship will be in the indoor heated stadium in Minneapolis and the AFC Championship could be played in frigid conditions in New England. The Superbowl will be played in an indoor heated stadium in Minneapolis.
I've always thought the Minnesota Vikings were robbed of the weather element of their homefield advantage when they moved from the Met indoors to the Metrodome and more recently, US Bank Stadium. Imagine a warm weather team like the Rams or Falcons having to travel up to Minnesota in the playoffs with subzero temperatures and double digits subzero windchills. Would make gaining homefield advantage that much more important for the playoff contenders.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:03 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Record cold? Is it really? It's been very cold here in Wyoming the past couple weeks, but it's certainly not been record cold.

It was early '80s -- '82 or '83. I don't believe it got above zero from Thanksgiving until New Years Eve. I owned a shoe store then and couldn't get enough snow/winter boots. I got everything I could find from suppliers... and then it warmed up Jan. 1 and I was selling those boots for the next few years!

I also owned a plane at that time. We usually flew back to Iowa for the holidays, so as usual we went to the airport the morning of Christmas Eve. I'd had the plane plugged in to keep the engine warm (unheated hangar), but after starting the engine kept sputtering. I taxied to the ramp to check it out, stepped out of the cabin and noticed a red streak in the snow following my tracks -- hydraulic fluid from the landing gear as the seals were frozen stiff. It was -36F with a wind chill of -50 or so. (Sputtering was from ice in the fuel lines.) I decided it wasn't a good day to fly, so my wife took the car and kids and drove to Iowa while I stayed and worked. It finally warmed to near the freezing level on Dec. 31.

This is all "fresh in my mind" due to an article in the local paper last week. It's been cold, but not NEARLY as cold as it was that year. We've had other years since then that were colder than this year too. It's not been "record cold" around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather