Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 01:26 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times

Advertisements

The interior northeast has very cold weather, especially later on in the winter season compared with other locations. Some notoriously cold locations in the interior northeast and northern New England are:
Coos County NH (Mount Washington Valley, Androscroggin Valley, White Mountains, Connecticut Valley)- weather observations stations include Whitefield, Berlin, and the summit of Mount Washington.
Hamilton and Essex County NY (Keene Valley, Adriondack Mountains)- weather observation station includes Saranac Lake.
Aroostook County ME (St. John Valley, High latitude area)
weather observation stations include Presque Isle, Caribou, and Houlton.

Examples of how cold it can get at the end of March:
Low temperatures this morning at Whitefield and Berlin in Coos County NH were both at -4F. Mount Washington recorded a -4 with winds sustained at 67mph.

The low temperature this morning at Saranac Lake, NY was -10F with calm winds. The sensor is located in Franklin County which is in the Adirondack region at only 1700ft elevation.

The low temperatures a few days ago at Houlton and Caribou, ME were in the -15 to -20F range, and Presque Isle was the grand winner with a low of -22F a few days ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 03:25 PM

An example of the late season frigid air would be March 2007 when the lows at both Whitefield and Berlin were between -30 and -35F. The only areas in the US east of the Rockies that get this cold in March would possibly be the northwoods of MN or the Red River Valley in ND.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:41 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,956,607 times
can't forget about the northeast kingdom on the Northeastern corner of VT, can get pretty damn cold there as well.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
can't forget about the northeast kingdom on the Northeastern corner of VT, can get pretty damn cold there as well.
That is true, but I think on the NWS page the only weather observation station in that area is St. Johnsbury. The record low temperature for all of VT was set in Essex County at -50F in the 1930s. St. Johnsbury does not usually get as cold as areas in neighboring Coos County. Morrisville/Stowe in Lamoille County is usually one of the colder ob stations in VT during winter.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:58 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,956,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
That is true, but I think on the NWS page the only weather observation station in that area is St. Johnsbury. The record low temperature for all of VT was set in Essex County at -50F in the 1930s. St. Johnsbury does not usually get as cold as areas in neighboring Coos County. Morrisville/Stowe in Lamoille County is usually one of the colder ob stations in VT during winter.
Bloomfield, VT would be the small town that registered -50F, you're right though the coldest spot in VT is usually around Stowe.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:00 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Aroostook County ME (St. John Valley, High latitude area)
weather observation stations include Presque Isle, Caribou, and Houlton.

The low temperatures a few days ago at Houlton and Caribou, ME were in the -15 to -20F range, and Presque Isle was the grand winner with a low of -22F a few days ago.
Hey, we had almost 40 today in the Presque Isle/Caribou area. That isn't cold, at least not for this time of year. We might even push close to 50 this week. They say 47 by Tuesday, so I am hoping it hits the big 50 that day.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Hey, we had almost 40 today in the Presque Isle/Caribou area. That isn't cold, at least not for this time of year. We might even push close to 50 this week. They say 47 by Tuesday, so I am hoping it hits the big 50 that day.
Some of your snowpack might be melting, eh?

I am sure you will have enough moisture in that snowpack to create a few more man-made lakes.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:40 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times
I'm in interior NH right by the Vermont border and its still very cold out. Still scraping ice off the windows in the morn still wearing gloves and hats and still getting snow.We should be averaging well into the 50's by now but we're still in the 20's and 30's.. what a dragggggg.. I just drove up the east coast from Fla to NH a couple days ago and it was warm up till about NJ you didnt' need a sweater and then we literally went over into the NH border and within 2 or 3 minutes it was snowing really hard.

Last edited by Tarastomsgirl; 03-31-2008 at 04:52 AM..

Old 03-31-2008, 06:39 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Some of your snowpack might be melting, eh?

I am sure you will have enough moisture in that snowpack to create a few more man-made lakes.

I hope we lose some of it . Actually we have had a few days of above freezing temps and have lost a few inches already in the snowpack. As long as it goes slow there shouldn't be a real big problem. If it gets warm fast, there is going to be a LOT of houses that are very wet. I can see the top rails on my utility trailer again in the back yard so we now have less than 40" of snow on the ground at my place. Better than a week ago.

Over night is stayed in the double digits (barely though it was 10) so I don't know if that would be considered cold or not. I would guess it would matter on your perspective. For us, it is a nice night without being very cold, Texas it would be COLD though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather