U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:35 PM

4,235 posts, read 22,926,565 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently moved (due to a government job relocation) to what they call "tornado alley". My wife (from NC where tornadoes almost never happen) is deathly afraid of getting hit by a tornado although I am a little more calm, coming from Indiana.

We have considered buying a severe alert weather radio with an audible alert, in case if we are asleep and get hit in the middle of the night we can get up and get to our storm shelter.

I went online and looked at some of the high end Radio Shack brand radios but most of them have received negative results. One of the biggest negatives received was the warning did not go off when there was a tornado warning for that area.

Are there any good storm warning radios to look into? If so what brands, models and price? And where can I purchase?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 08:26 PM

3,542 posts, read 7,849,254 times
If you are moving to "Tornado Alley", the odds are that they have a rather dependable siren system. However, I still strongly recommend that you do look into getting a NOAA Weather Radio as they are true life savers. They should be available in any of the main grocery stores and the average price is about $25-$30.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:29 AM

Grocery stores actually sell radios.......???

Where we moved to is out in the country so I don't know if I'd even hear a warning siren....if there even is one.

So I'd like to find something I could put by my bed to wake me in the event of a tornado.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:44 AM

12,083 posts, read 36,423,145 times
I have a Midland weather radio that I really like. Haven't missed an alert yet for our area, but we don't them very often either. Mostly winter storm warnings or Blizzard warnings, but it seems to work fine. I have the one that is AM/FM with NOAA weather radio. It works off of batteries, AC adapter, and manual crank. The AC adapter and crank charges the internal rechargeable battery so it still works fine with the power out. Think I got it at either Wal-Mart or Sears, but it has been a while ago and I wouldn't want to have to swear to it.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:06 PM

13,063 posts, read 23,454,705 times
I have a small Oregon Scientific radio that I programmed w/the local NOAA, etc. - we have VERY occasional tornado warnings, etc. - been happy with it.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:42 PM

1,888 posts, read 7,534,617 times
I'm in Florida and I still haven't gotten one. I remember being told to look for one that turns itself on when the weather warning is issued. There are some models that are just like regular radios- you have to turn them on/off yourself. The other ones are great incase something happens in the middle of the night.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:30 PM

3,542 posts, read 7,849,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Grocery stores actually sell radios.......???

Where we moved to is out in the country so I don't know if I'd even hear a warning siren....if there even is one.

So I'd like to find something I could put by my bed to wake me in the event of a tornado.
Down in SA you can buy them at HEB, which is our local grocery chain... the best bet also is to go to NOAA's National Weather Service (National Weather Service) and click on the region that you are moving. That local NWS office should be able to provide the information on how to buy the best weather radio in that area.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:51 PM

11,288 posts, read 24,110,637 times
If you want one, what's stopping you? Might as well!

Honestly though, people are always SO scared about tornadoes. A tornado will hit very randomly, and the odds of it actually hitting where you are is incredibly small.

Oklahoma is the area of the country that has the highest rate of tornadoes. Statistically, it would be 1,980 years on average before you were directly hit by a tornado. For example, say you had a massive outbreak of tornadoes in Arkansas. 20 tornadoes hit in the state, all traveling 10 miles, and are 1/2 mile wide. Those are very large, very dangerous tornadoes.

This would affect an area roughly 100 square miles. Arkansas is 53,182 square miles. So even with this huge outbreak, 99.8% of the state isn't directly affected.

Not trying to downplay tornadoes, I mean I've lived in Tornado Alley my entire life. I wouldn't be in a panic about tornadoes though, you could sit for thousands of years and never actually see one in person...

Old 03-24-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
If you want one, what's stopping you? Might as well!
I'm wanting to find out what the best one is that's going to actually work. I've heard the Radio Shack ones sometimes dont go off in a tornado.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:17 PM

1,888 posts, read 7,534,617 times
You might be looking for something bigger but LL Bean makes a pocket weather radio that has the automatic 'turn on' feature. Its also a Midland (model hh50). Haven't found a larger sized one yet but there out there. If I were you, I'd probably get one of each. I remember having to be evacuated after the hurricanes and what I would have given to have a small radio or SOMETHING with me during that time at the shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather