Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 11:54 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,521,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Christmas in summer? Yuck! Florida in December is hot enough!

Not really fair to compare North Dakota with Florida, weather aside. There's not really anything to do in North Dakota.
Christmas in summer is normal to us! Kids love to jump in the pool after lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 11:59 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
0 and 80 isn't a fair comparison. 0 is frigid, 80 is barely even hot. Either compare 0 and 100 or 20 and 80.

Even then, if its 0 F a kid will be bundled up. You can bundle up for the cold, you can't do much for 100+ degrees.

I spent 23 years of my life in tropical or subtropical climates and its not like 90 plus degrees which lasts from May through mid September is better than a handful of sub-zero lows in winter. Personally, I don't care. I'll go outside in -10 or 110 and so will my kids. Just as long as there's seasons and actual snow, I'm happy. My kids are gonna appreciate nature and the fun activities of winter. They're also gonna appreciate summer. None of that staying inside all day crap.
There are lots of cold places in the world where 0F is a common occurrence in the winter. So it is absolutely fair to compare it. Winnipeg, Harbin, Novosibirsk anyone? Even in Ottawa when the temperature was 0F in winter, nobody thought it was unusual. So it is absolutely fair to compare 0F as a normal winter temperature in cold places. I can tell you that it felt miserable being outside in it as a young adult waiting for the bus every morning all bundled up and I spent as little time as possible outside in winter there so why would I want to subject my potential kids to that if I don't have to?

Old 03-04-2018, 06:23 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
There are lots of cold places in the world where 0F is a common occurrence in the winter. So it is absolutely fair to compare it. Winnipeg, Harbin, Novosibirsk anyone? Even in Ottawa when the temperature was 0F in winter, nobody thought it was unusual. So it is absolutely fair to compare 0F as a normal winter temperature in cold places. I can tell you that it felt miserable being outside in it as a young adult waiting for the bus every morning all bundled up and I spent as little time as possible outside in winter there so why would I want to subject my potential kids to that if I don't have to?
Ottawa is also a good place to grow up All 4 seasons.

Yes, winters can get cold in some places and you get 0 F once in a while but generally speaking it's not all winter long unless you live at the North Pole.

The difference is that winter periodically gets into the single digits/ 0 F but in more than a few of the warmer climates, it is 90 F + for months at a time. Now I like cold and will admit that 0 F can be uncomfortable if you are just standing there but the difference is that you can bundle up and move around to get more comfortable in that kind of weather. When it's 90 F...well, there isn't a whole lot that you can do to get more comfortable. You are SOL when it gets hotter than that

There's been very few days that it's been so cold that my daughter didn't want to go out and play in the snow when she was younger. It was also very rare that I didn't want to go outside in winter either as a kid or as an adult. Neither one is my favorite but give me 0 F over hot weather any day.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:30 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
I think it's good for kids to have a little "winter" - living in 100% spring/summer weather makes people wimpy!

Old 03-04-2018, 08:03 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Ottawa is also a good place to grow up All 4 seasons.

Yes, winters can get cold in some places and you get 0 F once in a while but generally speaking it's not all winter long unless you live at the North Pole.

The difference is that winter periodically gets into the single digits/ 0 F but in more than a few of the warmer climates, it is 90 F + for months at a time. Now I like cold and will admit that 0 F can be uncomfortable if you are just standing there but the difference is that you can bundle up and move around to get more comfortable in that kind of weather. When it's 90 F...well, there isn't a whole lot that you can do to get more comfortable. You are SOL when it gets hotter than that

There's been very few days that it's been so cold that my daughter didn't want to go out and play in the snow when she was younger. It was also very rare that I didn't want to go outside in winter either as a kid or as an adult. Neither one is my favorite but give me 0 F over hot weather any day.
Ottawa is a great place to grow up for a lot of reasons but not because of the weather. It is one of its major disadvantages IMO. Ottawa sees 0F more than periodically. It was at least a quarter of the time in winter it seemed when I lived there. I just checked the numbers and it is below -20C on 16.3 days a year and below -10C on 67.9 days. That is not counting the windchill factor. So 0F would be somewhere between those two numbers. It is much colder there than in Erie, PA.
I was very uncomfortable in the winter there and I was always in a bad mood at that time of year. Maybe it's genetic? To each their own I guess but I think it's not great for me. I would rather my potential kids not have to experience that if I can help it.

Last edited by deneb78; 03-04-2018 at 08:14 PM..

Old 03-05-2018, 07:54 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I think it's good for kids to have a little "winter" - living in 100% spring/summer weather makes people wimpy!
Share your links to statistics proving this, please.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:17 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Share your links to statistics proving this, please.
It's an 'opinion'. That's what the OP was asking for. I doubt there are any statistics or peer-reviewed scientific studies about the topic. Would be interesting, though. Too much bickering in this thread. Let's tone it down a might.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-05-2018, 10:37 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Ottawa is a great place to grow up for a lot of reasons but not because of the weather. It is one of its major disadvantages IMO. Ottawa sees 0F more than periodically. It was at least a quarter of the time in winter it seemed when I lived there. I just checked the numbers and it is below -20C on 16.3 days a year and below -10C on 67.9 days. That is not counting the windchill factor. So 0F would be somewhere between those two numbers. It is much colder there than in Erie, PA.
I was very uncomfortable in the winter there and I was always in a bad mood at that time of year. Maybe it's genetic? To each their own I guess but I think it's not great for me. I would rather my potential kids not have to experience that if I can help it.
Well I guess we can agree that Ottawa has a lot going for it even if we don't agree on the winters

I didn't grow up in Erie though I did grow up in very similar climates in Upstate NY.

I'm not sure if it's genetic or not. I do know people that I grew up with--born and raised in the area--that would get depressed starting in Fall and it wouldn't lift until late Spring. My husband is from the Detroit area and he's a much bigger fan of the sunlight and summer than I am.

Yeah, it probably is individual. I love to swim but I enjoy winter activities even more

So I suppose it is safe to say that your potential offspring will grow up building sand snowmen somewhere warm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather