Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2018, 02:13 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
That shows the mean in London was 3.8°C in February or about 1.5°C below average. March was 6.5°C or about 1.1°C below average. How do those deviations stack up historically? Coldest in how many years?

Meanwhile NYC is wrapping up its coldest April in 34 years. Not sure what March was like there--I don't think it was hot though.
February was the coldest since 1996.

March was the coldest since 2013 (though that year was the coldest March on record).

March was the 4th cloudiest on record, and the first half of April was easily the cloudiest on record. As it stands, April will probably fail to get above 60% of average sun hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 02:17 PM

1,916 posts, read 1,459,031 times
Quote:
That shows the mean in London was 3.8°C in February or about 1.5°C below average. March was 6.5°C or about 1.1°C below average. How do those deviations stack up historically? Coldest in how many years?

Meanwhile NYC is wrapping up its coldest April in 34 years. Not sure what March was like there--I don't think it was hot though.
March was cold in NY but February was the warmest on record for NY beating 2017. For two years in a row March was colder than February in NY even with the higher sun angle and longer days.

Feb 2018: 42.0°F | March 2018: 40.1°F
Feb 2017: 41.6°F | March 2017: 39.2°F

Old 04-26-2018, 02:46 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Maybe you guys have been hogging all the warmth ? Like the last photo with the village by the lake on a small hillside the best; looks very cute
It's not a village, but a banlieue. Only 10 or so km from central Paris.

Quote:
huh. the sunset photos are there?
You've posted the same photo twice.

Quote:
you mean when you visited NYC?
I meant historically, as the habit mostly spread from New York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Couldn't agree more. Their towns and cities are simply stunning. Not sure why our cities look so crap in comparison, and our suburbs are hell on earth. Old towns around here don't even look anywhere as nice as European towns. They value surroundings, Americans only care about dollars and run away capitalism. ugh!
There's a hell of a lot of ugly stuff, I just don't tend to take photos of it. I for one would prefer if residential streets were lined with untrimmed trees instead of ugly fences and hedges like in America.

Quote:
What Europe gets nowadays like the PNW are very brief cold periods followed by what seems endless warmth, while we get stuck in cold patterns since 2010 that seem to last months. Both Europe and the Western US are warming far faster than we are it is based on NOAA facts. We are probably the slowest place on the planet to actually warm significantly compared to a place like Zagreb.
Would like to see data to back up these claims. Here are the above average months for Paris-Orly over the past few years:

January: 6 of 9
February: 4 of 9
March: 5 of 9
April: 4 of 8
May: 3 of 8
June: 5 of 8
July: 6 of 8
August: 4 of 8
September: 4 of 8
October: 5 of 8
November: 5 of 8
December: 6 of 8

57 of 99 = 58% above average

What about Philly?

Old 04-27-2018, 07:07 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
What it looks like this morning on the right...
What it looked like a week ago in 2012.

Greenwich, CT

Old 04-27-2018, 07:22 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post

I would gladly take that. How bout five months or six months in a row below, with maybe one month in between above. then we have the months with day after day below avg, and two days in the 80's F skews the avg to make it look normal but in reality day after day was cold.

Not sure about the UK, but Seattle is looking at another hot dry summer while they say May here is same old same old. Seattle just never seems to get sustained month after month of cold. Ugh!!!

btw, don't fret over a bad spring, as I follow UK meteo's on twitter and they say the same thing as ours. You cannot correlate with any accuracy a cold spring = cold summer. It just doesn't match up consistently at all they say.

Very different patterns happen by early June and can last till October. Don't give up yet on having a good summer. It's the only hope I'm holding on to that this pattern breaks for good sometime soon.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:30 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
It's not a village, but a banlieue. Only 10 or so km from central Paris.

You've posted the same photo twice.

I meant historically, as the habit mostly spread from New York.

There's a hell of a lot of ugly stuff, I just don't tend to take photos of it. I for one would prefer if residential streets were lined with untrimmed trees instead of ugly fences and hedges like in America.

Would like to see data to back up these claims. Here are the above average months for Paris-Orly over the past few years:

January: 6 of 9
February: 4 of 9
March: 5 of 9
April: 4 of 8
May: 3 of 8
June: 5 of 8
July: 6 of 8
August: 4 of 8
September: 4 of 8
October: 5 of 8
November: 5 of 8
December: 6 of 8

57 of 99 = 58% above average

What about Philly?
I'll work on it this weekend and post it. Like I said though, two or three days here way above avg skew many months to make them look warm, when in reality majority of days were below.

I don't know but I have yet to see ugly towns in France on streetview. Did you mean France has ugly fences and hedges or we have untrimmed trees? American suburbs are grotesque. Here take a look at some of ours outside the city:

These houses are so cheaply built with problems galore water, mold, creaky cheap flooring, bad roofs, etc etc. They are thrown together in weeks. Ugh.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2248...7i13312!8i6656

To me the one below looks more attractive and better construction.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.5811...7i13312!8i6656

Old 04-27-2018, 07:52 AM
B87

Quote:
I would gladly take that. How bout five months or six months in a row below, with maybe one month in between above.
Like 2013? Every month from January to June had below average temps and then September and November joined in too.

Not to mention, every month (with the exception of July and November) had below average sun hours.

Oh, and the last day of April here has a forecast high of 7c!!!
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weath...ND=UK&LEVEL=51

Old 04-27-2018, 08:35 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,511,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Like 2013? Every month from January to June had below average temps and then September and November joined in too.

Not to mention, every month (with the exception of July and November) had below average sun hours.

Oh, and the last day of April here has a forecast high of 7c!!!
London weather forecast 14 days - Rain risk - Wind direction - HDD CDD
Honestly you have nothing to complain about with regards to how your April has unfolded. Unlike people in North America who have reason to feel slighted.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:42 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
I would gladly take that. How bout five months or six months in a row below, with maybe one month in between above. then we have the months with day after day below avg, and two days in the 80's F skews the avg to make it look normal but in reality day after day was cold.

Not sure about the UK, but Seattle is looking at another hot dry summer while they say May here is same old same old. Seattle just never seems to get sustained month after month of cold. Ugh!!!

btw, don't fret over a bad spring, as I follow UK meteo's on twitter and they say the same thing as ours. You cannot correlate with any accuracy a cold spring = cold summer. It just doesn't match up consistently at all they say.

Very different patterns happen by early June and can last till October. Don't give up yet on having a good summer. It's the only hope I'm holding on to that this pattern breaks for good sometime soon.
I think there hasn't been a summer month below average since 2012 and probably one September and one or two Mays. The new pattern has warmer and drier May-September, much wetter November-March. April and October can go either way.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:00 AM
B87

Quote:
Honestly you have nothing to complain about with regards to how your April has unfolded. Unlike people in North America who have reason to feel slighted.
I have every reason to complain about what will likely be the cloudiest spring ever recorded (to go with 6 of the 10 cloudiest summers on record having been recorded since 2007).

I think summer 2018 will join that list, seeing as in the last 10 years, we've had 1 sunnier than average summer, 1 average summer, and 8 cloudier than average summers.

The most recent occasions where a summer month recorded at least average or above average sunshine were: June 2017, July 2014, June 2014, July 2013, June 2010, July 2006.

Last edited by B87; 04-27-2018 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather