Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 03:14 PM

83,406 posts, read 74,932,541 times

Advertisements

From today: March 10, 2018:

Day # 3 in a row with snow cover after that storm. Can't believe how long its taking to melt this time of year. Strange. Max temps been 40°F(4.4C) 40°F(4.4C) and 37°F(3C) past 3 days.

Frozen water, but I wouldn't walk on it

Heard and saw generators on this street. Tree still on wires. Crews working OT past 3 days.

Interesting entrance

Sunny morning then cloudy afternoon. Lots of snow still around and more coming again? 3rd NorEaster possible

This is a golf course. No golfing today.
Look close and you'll see the Putting Green.... well.... Putting White for now? Find the white flag

Silverman Farms Easton, CT. Was worried the Orchard sustained damage to the trees. Couldn't tell from a distance.

Another farm in Easton. Sunny Ridge Road. Maple Row Farm. A view of this street in the Summer via Google Maps.

Sandy Hook. Basically everywhere I drove I saw damage. incredible.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 10:27 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,185,114 times
Some pics from Wednesday's storm:

Old 03-11-2018, 10:08 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,093,571 times
A few from Kirkland

Old 03-12-2018, 07:54 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,431,806 times
Woke up to our biggest snowfall in the last 2 years. It’s beautiful.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
Woke up to our biggest snowfall in the last 2 years. It’s beautiful.
Kentucky "Blue". Nice to see you got some action.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:55 PM

March 13, 2018

Just another day in March.

And It must be March... 2-4" gone within 7 hours and only a 31° to 36° jump.

Meanwhile, it took 5 days to melt 4" with last weeks snowstorm??

Garlic wants spring!

Old 03-15-2018, 02:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,324,806 times
Mt. Washington hike. Nor'easter had dumped snow in the region late last week, and then there was clouds and flurries for a couple days. Driving to the trailhead, day started out clear. No clouds except on Mt. Washington, which had an interesting cloud cap along the ridge. Looked like moisture had moved in from the southeast and the mountains had trapped it there

Parked at the cog railway lot, which doesn't run during the winter. Owner wants to build a hotel on the mountain, and environmental groups and an outdoor group are fighting to stop it. There's already a rather primitive "hut" 1.5 miles south of the summit at 5000 feet with bunkrooms that holds over 100 people; his idea is something fancier, and one his train can take you to. The owner was at the parking lot and very eager to tell anyone who'd listen why the hotel was a great idea. He's pissed off at the greenies and thinks the AMC (which owns the existing huts) are hypocrites for trying to stop him — the AMC runs heliocopter to supply the huts at the beginning of the season. I'm mixed: as long as it's done carefully, it won't harm sensitive vegetation, though the summit already must be stressed with water & sewage. Mt. Washington isn't a wilderness, it's already crowded with people in summer. Rather just hikers there than lazy tourists but at least the tourists don't crowd the trails. Other guy talking to the owner thought "an Alps like mountain lodging" would be exciting. Owner said he wouldn't put the hotel right by the summit as he wouldn't want disturb the views. Felt like adding the lower down location he had in mind also had the benefit non-hikers could only visit the hotel by his train rather than use the auto road. Didn't get a chance to tell him that. Meh, the whole mountain turned into a tourist trap does sound like too much; the summit crowds are huge as it is. So the cog started charging for parking during the winter. I get it's his land and it takes effort to plow, but his parking fee was a passive-aggressive "greenie groups pissed me off so you get to pay". Here's the note:

Spoiler

view from the parking lot. Up the mountain:

down and across the valley

trail started in the woods with a few peeks of hill slopes but no mountain. Trailhead elevation around 2800 feet, this was around 3000 feet

Spoiler

view of the mountain

my phone forecast looked frigid, was this for 3000 feet?! or was my phone confused and giving the summit forecast?

Spoiler

current temperatures

Spoiler

after a short but very steep section up at about 4000 feet

surprised there was running water up here; maybe the thaw 2 weeks back helped there wasn't enough time to fully re-freeze? In 2015 when I was up here in early April everything was frozen solid

neat cloud shape. hope the clouds were moving in and out rather than lingering

Spoiler

this sign is at about 3 and a half feet above the ground in the summer

got windy by the top of the ravine. and the wind was blowing powdery snow into the ravine top. Trail was confusing to follow, I went off trail for a bit.

Spoiler

above the ravine is a hut closed for winter. I found white-out conditions. Met some hikers coming down, they all said they turned around rather than go up any summits because they didn't like hiking in a white-out plus it was chilly anyway. Was tempted to turn around, but there was plenty of daylight and I got all the way here, might as well go further and see how it goes. Observatory webpage showed a big temperature drop from 4000 to 5300 feet with the summit about the same temperature as 5300 feet. Guessing the cloud layer was all the same temperature and the drop was when I entered the cloud layer? Felt like it; soon put on another layer, a hat, and warmer gloves.

Looking towards Mt. Washington

and Mt. Monroe, clouds lifted a bit

Mt. Monroe was mostly in the clouds. Another break from the white-out. It felt windy closer to the hut, maybe it was topography, maybe I was heating up from hiking uphill? Only two hikers I met. One guy had an Australian accent. Or was it British? About the same, right?

most of the trail looked like this. Weather didn't get any worse as I got higher

Spoiler

eventually I discovered a tall cell phone tower

and there was no more uphill. Saw one staff (observatory?) and a group of Russian speakers who had hiked up the road. Long but less steep way up. One of them took a photo of me.

Spoiler

I circled around looking for phone service; 12°F (-11°C) and 18 mph winds (wind chill -4°F/-20°C). Some more summit buildings. Cafe buildings looks different than summer

Spoiler

closed for the season

use the vehicle just for the summit, dunno what the point of it is

started to cool down from stopping but I needed a break from the uphill. Cairns were easier to follow than I expected. Snow made descending more pleasant than ice or rocks though took a bit more energy. Quite loose for above treeline

Spoiler

was going to go up Mt. Monroe but it was getting a lot windier. Got about halfway up there 300 foot climb and the blowing snow and steep snow drifts were intimidating. Clouds were rolling back in and looked like snow flurries might start, wasn't going to get a view anyway. Felt like Monroe was windier than Washington; sharper topography there must have created a wind amplifier. It looked very dark and stormy to the east; didn't catch a photo. I was imaginging for this hike while I was atop the mountain and see the edge of the nor'easter in the distance; instead I got socked in clouds.

got lost entering the ravine. top of the trail isn't well-cairned. Used a hiking app to keep catching if I was on trail, didn't like that I was relying on my phone for navigaion, but worked great. some very deep snow

from the tracks, must have been on trail

Spoiler

Old 03-15-2018, 08:34 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,964,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Mt. Washington hike. Nor'easter had dumped snow in the region late last week, and then there was clouds and flurries for a couple days. Driving to the trailhead, day started out clear. No clouds except on Mt. Washington, which had an interesting cloud cap along the ridge. Looked like moisture had moved in from the southeast and the mountains had trapped it there
I love those pictures! I've never seen such beautiful, snow-covered mountains in real life.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

this sign is at about 3 and a half feet above the ground in the summer
What a trip! Wow at all the info and pics. So many good ones.

Nice timing to go with fresh snow & neat clouds with blue around.

That 3 foot sign buried is great!!

These pics seem different from your previous ones. Better. I like the summit pics of the building and vehicle. Didn't know there was a cell tower up there either but I guess the volunteers need some kind of way to communicate back.

BTW.. building a hotel on the mountain? Doesn't surprise me though. All about $$$ and they see the demand for people to visit this mountain. I agree that mountain is a "tourist trap" and loaded with people in the summer and to be honest that's why I'm not rushing to go there. It's why I love the Adirondacks better for a hike. You don't feel like you're in the wilderness when you constantly see people around.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:58 AM

104 posts, read 43,518 times
Its been a very cold winter and spring in Oslo, Norway aswell. Its freezing cold outside long into march with -3c today and -12c tonight.

Hopefully it all starts to melt soon, hopfully gone by late april..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather