Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 09:05 PM

525 posts, read 279,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
Found a pic of the storm from 40+ miles distant
That is one heck of a shot right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 10:13 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawuScimitar74 View Post
That sounds like a lot of rain to fall in only two days, even for somewhere in the southeastern US. I did look up what the climate is like in Nashville. 14 inches of rain is a pretty good chunk of what the city will typically see in a year. On average, Nashville gets a little more than 47 inches of rain in a year.

That much rain in one storm sounds quite freakish. Ever since record-keeping started where I live, there has been that much rain to fall in a calendar year only six times. Because of this, flooding would've without a doubt been catastrophic in my area if that much rain had fallen over two days.

I certainly hope that no one you're close to lost their lives in the storm. It is really said when you lose someone close to you in a natural disaster like that.

Other than the flooding, I do hope prom was fun. I myself went to prom both years in high school that I was able to, and it was a great experience. Both times I went, it was in April. During April, probability of precipitation is somewhat low where I'm from.

Places that are located at the bottom of hills and other steep-sloped surfaces are known to get hit pretty hard by flood events like this. I'm guessing a lot of surface runoff must've played a role in those deep waters that caused some people to lose their homes. I've heard of many events where this happens, and it really makes me sad just to think about what those people were going through. If there was an opportunity for me to help out, I would've jumped at the opportunity. It makes me happy to help out the less fortunate whenever I'm given the chance to do so.

I also heard that there may have been a few tornadoes associated with the storm. Even just thinking about tornadoes scares me. This is why I'm glad I live in the Western US, where they are very rare.
I didn't know anyone who died in the flood.

I think surface runoff played a huge role, especially considering the lag between the rainfall and the damage.

The tornadoes passed far to our south. I have actually been narrowly missed (within a half mile) by two tornadoes and I'm only 25. The first was in the mid-late 1990s when one was across the street from my mom's parents' house, where I was at the time. It was a weak tornado, maybe F0 or low end F1. The second was on April 7, 2006. That was a high-end F3, winds about 200 mph, and would be considered a borderline EF4/EF5. I didn't hear a thing from it. I was deep inside a brand new middle school.

Prom was a lot of fun. It was a lot more fun my senior year when I actually went with someone, my best friend then. I asked her Dec. 31 and prom wasn't till April 9. I also got to go to prom my first year out of high school with a girl who was one grade below me. A lot of fun as well.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
I didn't know anyone who died in the flood.

I think surface runoff played a huge role, especially considering the lag between the rainfall and the damage.

The tornadoes passed far to our south. I have actually been narrowly missed (within a half mile) by two tornadoes and I'm only 25. The first was in the mid-late 1990s when one was across the street from my mom's parents' house, where I was at the time. It was a weak tornado, maybe F0 or low end F1. The second was on April 7, 2006. That was a high-end F3, winds about 200 mph, and would be considered a borderline EF4/EF5. I didn't hear a thing from it. I was deep inside a brand new middle school.

Prom was a lot of fun. It was a lot more fun my senior year when I actually went with someone, my best friend then. I asked her Dec. 31 and prom wasn't till April 9. I also got to go to prom my first year out of high school with a girl who was one grade below me. A lot of fun as well.
Yeah I'm hoping no one perished from the flood. It makes me sad whenever anyone dies in natural disasters like these.

Surface runoff can definitely play a huge role in the flooding occurring after the rains end. This can definitely happen here in the southwestern US, especially in lowland areas with a nearby hill or mountain.

I'm glad to hear that the tornadoes didn't cause any damage to your house. During the October 2012 tornado outbreak, there were actually no tornadoes in the lower deserts in Arizona. They all took place in the higher elevations of the state. One of them struck an area some 25 miles west of Flagstaff I think. However, they didn't come even close to the Valley, which I was surprised by due to the amount of damage caused by tennis ball sized hail in some areas.

I'm happy to hear that prom was fun. I actually just went with a group both times. Back then, I didn't really have the courage to ask a girl out on a date or anything like that. Now that I've gotten plenty of advice, hopefully I can work up that courage sometime soon.

Again, I'm pleased to hear you had fun despite the flooding and all that.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:06 PM

The most fascinating weather event I had ever witnessed in person was probably September 8th, 2014. It was the wettest calendar day in history for a lot of Valley locations since record-keeping began. Sky Harbor saw 3.3 inches of rain that day, while there were numerous locations around the Valley that saw five inches for more that day. Tempe saw about 5.5 inches of rain that day. Since there was no rain on the 7th, it can be assumed that the torrential rains started very early in the morning. Downpours are usually brief in duration, but the September 8th downpour lasted for several hours. There was a time where it seemed to be fading, only for it to return stronger. It wasn't until about 10:00 that morning that the record-setting rainfall finally came to an end. I remember barely getting to my first class on time that day, and not before I was all wet. Thank the remnants of Hurricane Norbert for the historic rainfall.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:22 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Four NorEasters in one month....March 2018...has to be some kind of record.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Four NorEasters in one month....March 2018...has to be some kind of record.
I would imagine that it is either a record or approaches it. Another thing I heard was that at least one of those snowstorms may have produced the rare phenomenon known as thundersnow.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:37 PM

There are so many weather events that are interesting to learn about, regardless of what type of event they are.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:50 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
We just nver get much weather events in FL in the 54 years i have lived here. No real hurricanes for my area. I guess my 2nd real event was the super freeze of Xmas eve day of 1983 when the temp dropped 40+ degrees. Had a low of 19f in Tampa and a high of 38f on Xmas day. That ball buster front came thru in the AM with 40 knts winds and the temps went from around 65 to 19 in a matter of hours.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
We just nver get much weather events in FL in the 54 years i have lived here. No real hurricanes for my area. I guess my 2nd real event was the super freeze of Xmas eve day of 1983 when the temp dropped 40+ degrees. Had a low of 19f in Tampa and a high of 38f on Xmas day. That ball buster front came thru in the AM with 40 knts winds and the temps went from around 65 to 19 in a matter of hours.
Those sound like freaky and interesting weather events.

I'm actually kind of surprised that there have been no hurricanes in your area. Don't you remember Hurricane Irma from last year? I think it affected all of Florida to a certain degree to be honest. It was a Category Five hurricane, after all.

What part of Florida do you live in, if I may ask?

Old 03-24-2018, 03:33 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawuScimitar74 View Post
Those sound like freaky and interesting weather events.

I'm actually kind of surprised that there have been no hurricanes in your area. Don't you remember Hurricane Irma from last year? I think it affected all of Florida to a certain degree to be honest. It was a Category Five hurricane, after all.

What part of Florida do you live in, if I may ask?
We have had many blow bys. Irma gave me 8" of rain and max winds to about 75mph. Back in 04 we had two back to back canes come across the state from the east coast and i got 12" and 70mph winds and 3 weeks later got 75mph winds and 6" of rain. Charlie in 04 just 2 weeks before was such a small core storm that it did nothing in Tampa with .20" of rain and one gust to 35mph. Elena in Sept of 1985 sat offshore for 2 days and gave us 55mph winds. I was in Tampa from 1963 to 04. Now on the gulf 28 miles to northwest since 04.

So no direct hit from a big cane since 1921 in Tampa. Also had a big rain event in May of 1979 with 17" in under two days and also in June of 2012 i got 11" in about 8 hours time from a TS out in the gulf that stalled.

Andrew in Aug of 92 gave us nothing in the Tampa area as it was a smaller core storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather