Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2018, 07:39 PM

650 posts, read 450,295 times

Advertisements

This is not very tested out, but this is only based on personal experience. I feel that the more less I use heating in the winter or cooling in the summer, the more used to the temperatures I get. In the summer the AC is generally set at about 82F/28C or so here. During the months outside the summer the temperatures are at the hottest as the indoor temperature can be about 84F/29C without someone turning it on. So the first few times I feel hot, but the more I do it the better I feel when I am actually outside. While everyone is miserable in the summer, I am doing just fine. I only have it at 82 as one of my parents gets cold below 80/27C indoors for some reason.

I also noticed in the winter, but the heater is almost always on like 77F to 78F/26Cm but in the year without a heater, because it was broken, I noticed it was very cold indoors (This was because of the fact it was one of the coldest winters in recent time here) and by the end of the winter temps in the 30s and 40s/0C to 10C barely felt cold at all.

I live in Houston, or well close enough by the way. Anyone else felt like this?

Also by the way as of this year my buddy never uses AC in his car at all, even close to 100F/38C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 08:20 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptunepenguins View Post
This is not very tested out, but this is only based on personal experience. I feel that the more less I use heating in the winter or cooling in the summer, the more used to the temperatures I get. In the summer the AC is generally set at about 82F/28C or so here. During the months outside the summer the temperatures are at the hottest as the indoor temperature can be about 84F/29C without someone turning it on. So the first few times I feel hot, but the more I do it the better I feel when I am actually outside. While everyone is miserable in the summer, I am doing just fine. I only have it at 82 as one of my parents gets cold below 80/27C indoors for some reason.

I also noticed in the winter, but the heater is almost always on like 77F to 78F/26Cm but in the year without a heater, because it was broken, I noticed it was very cold indoors (This was because of the fact it was one of the coldest winters in recent time here) and by the end of the winter temps in the 30s and 40s/0C to 10C barely felt cold at all.

I live in Houston, or well close enough by the way. Anyone else felt like this?

Also by the way as of this year my buddy never uses AC in his car at all, even close to 100F/38C.
My dad is like that...very very cheap.

Doesn’t turn the AC on in the car, even when it’s burning hot,
thinks he saves a lot on gas, car AC is a slight drain on the engine
but not that noticeable, I’m cheap but I crank the AC in the car and
in summer house AC I run all night and turn it off through the day.

Winter I keep the thermostat at 65F / 18C ....used to set it a bit lower (62F / 17C)
but that is too cool, even for me.

As for acclimatizing, I agree if you go heavy on the AC when you step outside it feels a lot hotter,
same with heat in winter.

After a long cold winter like we get, by this time of year anything over freezing feels warm,
those same temps in autumn feel much colder. Same with heat in early summer feeling hotter
than in late summer.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:49 PM

650 posts, read 450,295 times
Mhm I agree. I don't think you should go too extreme, but keeping the temp indoors just slightly out of your comfort zone can help acclimate you. I always tend to acclimate pretty fast. Yeah my parents are cheap so that tends to happen.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:56 PM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
I agree with you. People are surprised to hear I don't use heat in winter, or a/c in summer. Granted, it never gets all that cold here (56F is the lowest I have seen it get in my house), but it does get very warm in summer. Because I'm acclimated, I really don't feel that it's oppressively hot until the indoor temp gets to 88-90F. Then it's pretty uncomfortable, but only for a few hours, as the temperatures usually drop significantly as soon as the sun sets.

I have had relatives who live in other states tell me that my house was incredibly cold in winter. But it's rarely below the mid-60s and we are totally used to it. If you were outside on a spring day in the mid-60s, it would feel great. Why shouldn't it be okay in a house?

Now, when I was in Palm Desert and it was 115, it did seem impossible to live without a/c. But upper 80s/low 90s? Eh. Grab a cold drink and turn on a fan, and it's fine.

On the other hand, I MUST have a/c in a car. No a/c is an absolute deal-breaker. Opening windows doesn't cut it. So I guess I am inconsistent in this regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather