Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 06:41 PM

769 posts, read 479,692 times

Advertisements

Forecasts look great for the PNW. Hot and dry. Hopefully a repeat of last summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 04:32 PM

30,421 posts, read 21,228,470 times
Who wants hot and dry?

Old 04-23-2018, 04:37 PM

176 posts, read 146,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Who wants hot and dry?
A lot of people, actually. The Pacific Northwest is usually cold and wet, so people there get tired of it. I personally like cold and wet, but I believe myself to be in the minority.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:47 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,322,053 times
Hoping for wet and hot! Would like to see a repeat of 2015 or 2016

Old 04-23-2018, 06:15 PM

30,421 posts, read 21,228,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpmcdonnell17 View Post
A lot of people, actually. The Pacific Northwest is usually cold and wet, so people there get tired of it. I personally like cold and wet, but I believe myself to be in the minority.
I would die for that in the summer where i live.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:06 AM

83,508 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Long Range Forecaster at Accuweather Paul Pastelok had a blog about Summer. The Official Summer forecast will come out next week from Accuweather..

Here's a snippet..

Quote:
Saturday, April 21, 2018 6:10:16 AM

May through July outlook driven by dryness in the Southwest and still a slow retreat of the upper jet stream

Summer forecast - June through August will be out next week.

Northeast, mid-Atlantic, eastern Ohio Valley– Across New England, mid-Atlantic coast and upstate New York state, overall temperatures will average near to slightly above normal; it will be wetter and cooler across eastern Ohio Valley and the central Appalachians and most of the mid-Atlantic. Some severe weather, but a below-normal season expected; cooling energy near average (moderate confidence).

Southeast, Tennessee Valley, Gulf Coast– Central and southern peninsula of Florida still rather dry in May, but turns wetter late May into June, drought should end by midsummer, potential early tropical hits along the Gulf coast, large area of above-normal rainfall Gulf states into the Tennessee Valley and extending east to the Carolinas; temperatures will not be far from average, but high humidity will lead to slightly higher energy usage, and this region is still a flood and severe weather risk (moderate to high confidence).

Western Ohio Valley, Midwest, central/northern Plains- A slow transition into spring and now a slow transition into summer for this region. For most of this region, only short-term hot periods with exception toward the Foothills and western Plains, severe weather high impact central Plains, mid- to upper Mississippi Valley and Midwest, drier and hotter in the northern Plains in July (higher risk area as far as temperatures – moderate-to-high confidence precipitation).

Southern Plains– Dry conditions in the southwestern Plains and lower Texas Valley can lead to high heat in long stretches, eastern areas more of a risky forecast as far as temperatures, leaning near to slightly above, precipitation generally normal to slightly below, but the tropics can dictate temperature outcome - drier hotter, wetter, cooler (high confidence western areas, low confidence east).

Southwest–Dry and hot, significant long periods of high heat, fire danger high; rainfall increases in July, especially interior Southwest and central Rockies, watch for flash flooding mid- and late season in these areas (moderate-to-high confidence).

Northwest to Rockies–Transition from wet/snowy and cool late spring/early summer to hot and drier mid- to late summer drought can develop mid- to late summer east of Cascades and increased fire threat late summer into fall, above-normal temperatures can stretch across north-central Rockies into the northern Plains (moderate confidence, but transition depends on water temperature change off the Northwest coast this summer).

Old 04-24-2018, 08:01 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Long Range Forecaster at Accuweather Paul Pastelok had a blog about Summer. The Official Summer forecast will come out next week from Accuweather..

Here's a snippet..

For me, near to slightly above normal. Perfect. That means more thunderstorms and less hot dry SW winds. Sounds perfect.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:03 AM

I just came back from Fort Lauderdale. Damn their thunder and lightning is so impressive. The thunder is soo loud it was deafening. I need to visit again in summer for just the tstorms lol.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:37 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,592,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
For me, near to slightly above normal. Perfect. That means more thunderstorms and less hot dry SW winds. Sounds perfect.
Accuweather forecast for Europe says 'dry spells' for us.

Knowing their track record, I'm not sure whether that means they are forecasting a terrible summer, or whether they think it rains all the time and dry spells is a good forecast?

Old 04-24-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Accuweather forecast for Europe says 'dry spells' for us.

Knowing their track record, I'm not sure whether that means they are forecasting a terrible summer, or whether they think it rains all the time and dry spells is a good forecast?

Usually that means overall dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather