U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-06-2018, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,038 posts, read 2,777,375 times
Reputation: 962

Advertisements

I would say there should be some people in Egypt, Chile and southernmost Argentina who have never seen ligthning at all.
Perhaps they would have heard thunder clap once every five years or so, yet they couldn't be able to see the lightning if they were working inside or sleeping at home when the weak thunderstorm arrived at their hometown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-06-2018, 10:57 AM
 
1,616 posts, read 901,548 times
Reputation: 1423
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
And the UK is more like the PNW lol.
So practically non existent? We had thundersnow a year ago and I remember hearing some thunder very briefly a couple years ago but nothing like the east coast of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2018, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Top of the South, NZ
18,097 posts, read 15,107,752 times
Reputation: 6036
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
So practically non existent? We had thundersnow a year ago and I remember hearing some thunder very briefly a couple years ago but nothing like the east coast of the US.
I would have thought the PNW gets it more often than that. It has about the same density as NZ, and I'm guessing here would see lightning about 10-15 times a year -perhaps the PNW has less storms but with more strikes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2018, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Seattle area
7,459 posts, read 9,665,809 times
Reputation: 4295
Once a year would not be far from the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2018, 02:10 PM
 
1,616 posts, read 901,548 times
Reputation: 1423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I would have thought the PNW gets it more often than that. It has about the same density as NZ, and I'm guessing here would see lightning about 10-15 times a year -perhaps the PNW has less storms but with more strikes?
I've been here 2 years and iirc I only remember getting it on 3 occasions. Once during winter and not sure exactly the other times. I just remember being woken up by it once in the middle of the night and the other time it was during the day briefly following some rain as I remember there being a rainbow I could see off the back deck. But yeah that is it and the intensity was nothing like the east coast of the US. Just a bit of rumbling...didn't even see any lightning lol. I've read it's rare because of the low humidity out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2018, 03:29 AM
 
Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,038 posts, read 2,777,375 times
Reputation: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
I've been here 2 years and iirc I only remember getting it on 3 occasions. Once during winter and not sure exactly the other times. I just remember being woken up by it once in the middle of the night and the other time it was during the day briefly following some rain as I remember there being a rainbow I could see off the back deck. But yeah that is it and the intensity was nothing like the east coast of the US. Just a bit of rumbling...didn't even see any lightning lol. I've read it's rare because of the low humidity out here.
Here in the Iberian peninsula our summers are also prone to low humidity, yet we have more summer thunderstorm than the PNW and California.
The fact is all our seas get warmer SST every summer whereas the Pacific water is too cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2018, 06:24 AM
 
24,694 posts, read 14,265,422 times
Reputation: 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I think we are getting less also. Last few summers were lousy for tstorms. As a kid I seem to remember lots with my grandmother running around with Holy Water lol as she was very afraid of lightning.
We are getting more in seasons where we usually see few such storms, like in November and even during the winter. This Spring however since it's been so cool up until recently we have had only a couple thunderstorms. Lowest number since 1915


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2018, 06:28 AM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,434 posts, read 11,132,586 times
Reputation: 5594
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
Here in the Iberian peninsula our summers are also prone to low humidity, yet we have more summer thunderstorm than the PNW and California.
The fact is all our seas get warmer SST every summer whereas the Pacific water is too cold.

Your seas off the south coast of Spain outside the Med are not warm at all. Low 70's at best which is similar to what San Diego gets in summer. Your Med side is where the warm water is cause it is basically and enclosed bathtub that heats up from solar energy not ocean currents like off our coast from the Gulf Stream. And I don't think oceans have much to do with it. Look at the great plains here. No ocean, they get way more thunderstorms than anywhere in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2018, 06:29 AM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,434 posts, read 11,132,586 times
Reputation: 5594
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
Here in the Iberian peninsula our summers are also prone to low humidity, yet we have more summer thunderstorm than the PNW and California.
The fact is all our seas get warmer SST every summer whereas the Pacific water is too cold.

Lol, the desert of NM and AZ get more thunderstorms than anywhere in Spain also. No warm ocean close by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2018, 06:31 AM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,434 posts, read 11,132,586 times
Reputation: 5594
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
Here in the Iberian peninsula our summers are also prone to low humidity, yet we have more summer thunderstorm than the PNW and California.
The fact is all our seas get warmer SST every summer whereas the Pacific water is too cold.

How come Sardinia and Corsica surrounded by the warm Med do so poorly with lighting strikes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top