Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2018, 09:22 PM

11,645 posts, read 12,863,643 times

Advertisements

I only like hot weather for swimming at the beach. Besides that, it's pretty useless.

Cold weather too is horrid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 08:03 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,815,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I only like hot weather for swimming at the beach. Besides that, it's pretty useless.

Cold weather too is horrid.
THIS is why coastal California is really expensive.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:36 AM

21,662 posts, read 12,695,360 times
"I actually am more uncomfortable in the winter when I'm dressed for outside and come into an overheated building and start sweating as my body isn't adjusted to the heat then than I am in the summer."

Why not wear lighter clothing and/or layers under your heavy (actually, down parkas are warm but not heavy) outerwear?

Problem solved.

That and people complaining about being cold all winter: put more clothing on.

It's really easier to manage the cold than the heat.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"I actually am more uncomfortable in the winter when I'm dressed for outside and come into an overheated building and start sweating as my body isn't adjusted to the heat then than I am in the summer."

Why not wear lighter clothing and/or layers under your heavy (actually, down parkas are warm but not heavy) outerwear?

Problem solved.

That and people complaining about being cold all winter: put more clothing on.

It's really easier to manage the cold than the heat.
That's your opinion.

I remember my college campus at Pittsburgh. It would be 12 degrees outside and I'd have to walk across the campus but the buildings were heated to 72. Actually some kids would crank the heat in rooms to 85 or some obscene temp as the thermostat was easily available.

If I dressed for indoors I was freezing outside. If I dressed for outdoors I was burning up inside.

When it comes to cold weather I like around 30-50 degrees or so as the coldest. That way I can wear a leather jacket and have a long or short sleeve underneath and when I go inside I'm perfectly comfortable.

When it comes to hot weather, if you are outside in shorts and t-shirt and going across a 100 degree campus (I also did this at another college I attended) you'd feel instantly refreshed in the 72 degree A/C building. You'd get chilly during class but step outside for a few minutes to defrost or you'll defrost during your next switch class campus run. It was actually a very nice lifestyle.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:30 PM

2,070 posts, read 1,624,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Well I'm an active/athletic person who much prefers hot weather. I work out much more often in the heat because it feels better, lots of sweating, feel more limber, can do more things. And you don't have to put layers of clothing on. I eat more healthy food in the heat too, plenty of fruit and veg, much less need for comfort food and drink.

And all of this is more dramatic post 50. Granted I'm not training for marathons are playing highly competitive sports anymore where you worry about wilting in the heat/humidity.

And on a bicycle, I like to think riding makes it feel about 20 degrees cooler. So I can bicycle for hours when it's 95 and humid and it feels cooling and divine. Working in the yard at 95 is pretty brutal though, only then do I prefer it cool.
I learned to acclimatize to the heat in Phoenix. I hike Piestewa Peak before noon in the summer. I borrowed a concept similar to high altitude hiking but applied it to the heat.

When I lived in Colorado, I learned about "alpine" climbing to get used to high altitude. The idea is to go up as far as you can and literally wear yourself out when coming from sea level. At that point, just stop and turn around. Go back to Denver. Then a few days later attempt the climb again and it will be much easier. This is a good way to acclimatize to Longs Peak (>14,000 feet).

The same concept applies to heat. When I moved back to Phoenix a year ago I tried hiking up Piestewa Peak on Memorial Day. I tried to keep up with a fast local hiker as long as I could. I burned out half way and turned around. Then a week later I attempted again and went up much faster in hot summer weather. I got used to it and was acclimatized all summer. One day I even went up at 102F.

So, acclimatization is the key. Today, I turned around close to the summit. I felt my calf on the verge of popping due to the excess heat, and heat stroke was around the corner. So, I just turned around. But next weekend I should be acclimatized and stronger. The local fire station rescue team would likely
appreciate that I noted my limits and turned around. They rescue a lot of hikers year-round - many underestimating the heat. Some are even "seasoned" local hikers with speed based on local standards.

Heat adaptation is not for the feint of heart though. It also has to be carefully planned with a regimen specific to individual limits.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:20 AM

19,367 posts, read 9,433,474 times
I do like the warmth of the sun [on the old bones] I can not lie. It feels good esp after a cold winter.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I learned to acclimatize to the heat in Phoenix. I hike Piestewa Peak before noon in the summer. I borrowed a concept similar to high altitude hiking but applied it to the heat.

When I lived in Colorado, I learned about "alpine" climbing to get used to high altitude. The idea is to go up as far as you can and literally wear yourself out when coming from sea level. At that point, just stop and turn around. Go back to Denver. Then a few days later attempt the climb again and it will be much easier. This is a good way to acclimatize to Longs Peak (>14,000 feet).

The same concept applies to heat. When I moved back to Phoenix a year ago I tried hiking up Piestewa Peak on Memorial Day. I tried to keep up with a fast local hiker as long as I could. I burned out half way and turned around. Then a week later I attempted again and went up much faster in hot summer weather. I got used to it and was acclimatized all summer. One day I even went up at 102F.

So, acclimatization is the key. Today, I turned around close to the summit. I felt my calf on the verge of popping due to the excess heat, and heat stroke was around the corner. So, I just turned around. But next weekend I should be acclimatized and stronger. The local fire station rescue team would likely
appreciate that I noted my limits and turned around. They rescue a lot of hikers year-round - many underestimating the heat. Some are even "seasoned" local hikers with speed based on local standards.

Heat adaptation is not for the feint of heart though. It also has to be carefully planned with a regimen specific to individual limits.
I remember once when I hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. It was like 85 at the top but 120 at the bottom. I felt like my calves were about to literally burn, with the sun beating on the back of them as I hiked and also the burn just from hiking. All other parts of me were fine but I really felt it on the calves. When I got to the bottom I soaked my leg in the 58 degree Colorado River and it was like an ice bath for those aching calves.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:55 AM

2,448 posts, read 884,732 times
I've asked that question all my life and no one has ever provided me with an intelligible answer. I have no idea why anyone would enjoy it when simply sitting or standing makes you sweat.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:46 PM

21,662 posts, read 12,695,360 times
[quote=chiociolliscalves;52146473]I've asked that question all my life and no one has ever provided me with an intelligible answer. I have no idea why anyone would enjoy it when simply sitting or standing makes you sweat.[/quo

One reason I often hear is "cold weather is dangerous." Actually, hot weather is MORE dangerous.

These people are crazy!

Old 06-09-2018, 06:17 PM

1,299 posts, read 817,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
I've asked that question all my life and no one has ever provided me with an intelligible answer. I have no idea why anyone would enjoy it when simply sitting or standing makes you sweat.
I dunno about anyone else, but sweating is not a big deal to me. My work is physical, I sweat, it happens. I play sports and exercise for fun, and I sweat then too. Keep properly hydrated and take a shower regularly, and it’s not an issue. I enjoy the feeling of heat for the summer months. Then I’m ready for winter and frigid temps. It’s a nice balance, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather