Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2018, 09:12 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
It's got to be real damn cold to be trapped inside, doesn't it?

I consider myself to be a bit intolerant of real cold weather myself, even though my residence is in Alaska. My feet and hands get cold rather quickly, unfortunately.
We're in the "warm" part, where temps rarely get below +10F in the winter. Even in this temperature it's not uncomfortable to be outside to walk or ski for awhile, provided one is dressed for it.
I pay attention to windchill and lack of sun more than anything. On Christmas day 2017 it was 0 degrees in the day and sunny but hardly a breeze. The air was really frigid but also refreshing if you're dressed right. We went everywhere on Christmas. We went to look at the frozen Minnehaha water falls and went ice skating. Having a nice warm Christmas dinner was also really rewarding on such a cold night.

Fast forward to like early January and there was one day that the temps were in the single digits, but the windchill was horrid and there was hardly any sun that day as it was not overcast but fairly cloudy. That day I couldn't last outside more than a few minutes. Most days in the winter, I was fine. Except when I had to wait for a bus lol. I miss my car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 12:00 AM

1 posts, read 419 times
i love swealtering heat and humidity, i feel more alive in it more energized. i never knew why but i do and it makes me feel good i barely sweat in it if at all and im always fine and i do drink a good amout of water

Old 01-31-2019, 12:33 AM

2,413 posts, read 1,039,874 times
I hate hot weather

Old 01-31-2019, 12:46 AM

650 posts, read 450,462 times
I like hot weather, but the humidity is not something I like all that much nor the insects. I can live without it I suppose.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:37 AM

1,503 posts, read 914,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Yeung View Post
Why do people like hot weather? Discuss.
On a fundamental biological level, humans are adapted to hot weather but not cold weather. We depend heavily on technology for survive in the cold, whether that's warm clothing, building shelters, fire and other heating etc. So I think it's natural that on a very general level people will like hot weather and dislike cold weather.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aminatou411 View Post
i love swealtering heat and humidity, i feel more alive in it more energized. i never knew why but i do and it makes me feel good i barely sweat in it if at all and im always fine and i do drink a good amout of water
I feel the same, though I do seat normally I think. Definitely feel more alive and energized. The cold makes me feel very dull and not very lifelike.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:43 AM

895 posts, read 604,104 times
I love warm to hot weather except for very hot weather that tends to keep me indoors, which I never get in Seattle. For some reason it feels nice and puts me in a better mood, especially if there is plenty of sunshine. I also love thunder and I can enjoy some humid days, which are unfortunately almost non-existent in Seattle. My ideal summer would average something like 30C/20C with a mix of dry heat and humid heat combined with plenty of sunshine and thunderstorms.

For some variety, I would also like a cool, but not painfully cold autumn-like winter averaging something like 11C/4C. My ideal climate would be comfortable for outdoor activities year-round but also provide a good amount of variety and seasonal change.

A lot of people here seem to complain about the heat here during the recent streak of hotter summers. Maybe people here are not adapted to heat compared to other regions. But it all comes down to different strokes for different folks; many people here enjoy the heat as well.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:03 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
I feel the same, though I do seat normally I think. Definitely feel more alive and energized. The cold makes me feel very dull and not very lifelike.
I am the opposite. We are enjoying a wonderful cool change tonight after another very hot day, I think it was anout 38C today. I come alive when the weather cools down. I blame my Scottish ancestors!

Old 01-31-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
I am the opposite. We are enjoying a wonderful cool change tonight after another very hot day, I think it was anout 38C today. I come alive when the weather cools down. I blame my Scottish ancestors!
Perhaps I should clarify that I was thinking about temperatures in the ~23 - 31C range. 38C is too hot, but I'd prefer it to being too cold. I went to Australia in October a few years ago on a circuit from Cairns-Port Douglas- Daintree-Atherton-Undara-Townsville-Innisfail-Cairns and I thought the weather was fantastic everywhere except Undara where it was a bit on the hot side.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:28 AM

5,194 posts, read 1,872,370 times
I love warm-to-hot weather. Absolutely love it. Everything from walking in the balmy, sweet humid air in the evenings, or eating outside (which I love), enjoying the sunshine and beauty of everything on a warm summer's day. I tolerate hot weather easily due to my physique which is quite tall and athletic, but on the other hand I feel the cold a lot. I've yet to experience an air temperature that was too hot for me (except in a sauna), and in hot conditions I find it easy to stay comfortable by drinking cold drinks often and wearing 1-2 layers is fine. I actually enjoy the slight discomfort of being a little too hot, and love the feeling of cooling off with a cold drink; however cold feels painful and unpleasant to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather