Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 12:01 PM

895 posts, read 603,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The AC in the Ohio River Valley is mostly to remove moisture, which (at least where I live) lingers around 90% and above all summer, along with the dew point, resulting in a heat index over 100%. It's so true that "it's not the heat; it's the humidity." And yes, it's miserable; all who claim to love summer and hot weather just huddle indoors the entire time.
LOL no. I go outside often and do hiking, fishing/crabbing, boating, yard work, spending time outside, etc. whenever there's an opportunity. Hardly staying indoors all the time. You may argue that Seattle doesn't really get hot, but Seattle gets heat waves with temperatures in the 90s F and I find that I like the heat. Humidity doesn't really bother me either.

That being said, I would not enjoy excessively hot summers such as summers in Phoenix or Houston. But summers in about half of the country aren't that hot and are pretty enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 07:05 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,632,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Do people like hot weather? I hear as much whining about it here as I hear about cold weather. I think the majority view is that there's a sweet spot - upper 70s/lower 80s with low humidity - and everything above and below is to be complained about in some form.
I have noticed this and it baffles me. I feel honestly blessed that I wasn't built that way because if I was, California would be basically "perfect weather" and I've lived in L.A. for 5 years, I didn't think the weather was anything to write home about. I felt it was extremely overrated. Yet if I loved that weather, I'd be on the hook for massively higher cost of living and I just wouldn't have the house I want to live in at all. I felt L.A. was overall too cold, the spring was very rainy almost every year I was there, at least based on what I prefer which is zero rain or as close to it as possible, and it was downright cold into May many years. All of April was disappointing. The best season in L.A. has to be fall because it'll often be 80 degrees right through November. The falls, I have no complaints about at all, that place has amazing fall weather. The summers, however, were another story. You can do better almost anywhere. Summer in L.A. means overcast or what they call "June Gloom" until about noon to 2 p.m. every day, and it's not in June, it goes right through July most years. It typically is less of an issue by late July and August, which is why I say fall is practically better weather than summer there. It worked out ok enough for me as a night owl, I never wake up before noon anyway, but boy if you're a morning person, forget it, zero point in being awake for summer weather any earlier than noon, you won't be missing anything just sleeping right through the mornings.

I don't see what's so great about upper 70s or lower 80s at all. To me those weathers are like winning a $100 scratch-it lottery ticket, sure, you're excited, it's a heck of a lot better than not winning, but it's not like you just won $100K or $1 million or something. It's just better than nothing, that's all. My perfect weather would be 85-100 degrees with no humidity like Las Vegas. I have no problems with 100+ though at all, I like that too, and it means nice, warm nights, which I want. We aren't an "open the windows and let noise, light, and temperature fluctuations" inside kind of people, we are 21st century people who keep the house tight and controlled as indoors should be. It doesn't matter if it's 30 out or 120 out, it'll still be 72 in here and have no affect on regular everyday living. But cold weather means nothing to enjoy or do outside, can't use the pool, can't sit out and enjoy the weather, it just sucks.

I want to wear shorts and a T-shirt all day long, day or night, so to get that, it needs to be 90s in the day because that way it'll still be 70s by midnight or even 2 a.m., and only reach the 60s after I go to sleep maybe around 4 a.m. I say let people complain, that's fantastic, I much prefer Vegas weather to L.A. weather so it's to my advantage that I'm rare in that regard, otherwise it'd be more expensive to live here. To me, 70s is downright cold unless you're in the direct sun. Try swimming in 72 and sunny where the sun doesn't hit the pool most of the day. Not a lot of fun. If it's not swimming weather, it's too cold. I'm very binary in my weather assessment, I don't really even think much of how the weather rates 1-10, it's for me 0 or 1, it's either NOT swimming weather or it IS swimming weather, and there's no in between those two.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:11 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,947,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
THIS is why coastal California is really expensive.
Coastal California is pretty mild though (unless you go inland). I wouldn't say it's a "hot" place.

To answer this thread, I would say it's pretty weird for me to prefer cold weather over hot weather. By that I mean preferring cool to cold conditions all year round where plants and greenery cannot thrive. That is not 'normal' to me, no offence. I mean, you can might as well be into hot dry climate like Dallol or Mecca, really (it's funny because the people who prefer perpetual cold and bleak climate heavily reprimand such arid climates for being "lifeless" - Lmao, the irony).

P.S. Favour continental climates is a totally different thing and I am not including these people (as they at least like all seasons and enjoy the distinct differences between them). My post mainly refers to those who enjoy ultra subarctic, subpolar oceanic and/or tundra climates.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:35 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
Hot weather, swimming, you wear less clothing, tan skin looks better, girls look hotter, all kinds of plants grow. Yep, those are good reasons.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:16 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,213,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Coastal California is pretty mild though (unless you go inland). I wouldn't say it's a "hot" place.

To answer this thread, I would say it's pretty weird for me to prefer cold weather over hot weather. By that I mean preferring cool to cold conditions all year round where plants and greenery cannot thrive. That is not 'normal' to me, no offence. I mean, you can might as well be into hot dry climate like Dallol or Mecca, really (it's funny because the people who prefer perpetual cold and bleak climate heavily reprimand such arid climates for being "lifeless" - Lmao, the irony).

P.S. Favour continental climates is a totally different thing and I am not including these people (as they at least like all seasons and enjoy the distinct differences between them). My post mainly refers to those who enjoy ultra subarctic, subpolar oceanic and/or tundra climates.
California is borderline tropical given the fact that many people in places like Los Angeles, San Francisco etc are able to grow many subtropical trees such as avocado and citrus trees as well as jacaranda trees among many other exotic trees. Even some truly tropical trees and shrubs are able to be grown there, at least in the warmest zones in California.

Old 01-04-2020, 04:49 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,532,107 times
I like laying out on my the deck, warming the old bones
Only wish, someday getting an obove ground pool.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:19 AM

14,108 posts, read 2,773,216 times
Because it feels GOOD not to shovel snow.

Old 01-04-2020, 10:52 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I like laying out on my the deck, warming the old bones
Only wish, someday getting an obove ground pool.
You wouldn't like lying in the sun with a heat index (combined heat and humidity) of over 100, which is the norm where I live. Nothing pleasurable about that!

Old 01-04-2020, 11:00 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,664,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
California is borderline tropical given the fact that many people in places like Los Angeles, San Francisco etc are able to grow many subtropical trees such as avocado and citrus trees as well as jacaranda trees among many other exotic trees. Even some truly tropical trees and shrubs are able to be grown there, at least in the warmest zones in California.
My area can grow avocado, citrus, and jacaranda (flowering now), and I can assure you that my climate isn't borderline tropical.

I don't mind hot weather, but am not interested in hot climates - comfort is better than discomfort

Old 01-04-2020, 05:12 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulips4you2 View Post
Because it feels GOOD not to shovel snow.
Shovel, no. Snowblowers were invented decades ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather