Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 09:46 AM

5,039 posts, read 4,353,305 times

Advertisements

Here's a crepe myrtle at my house.

I have a good number of unripened tomatoes right now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 05:21 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Thanks! No Crepe Myrtles here. Cool blooms. Sounds hot there.
Yeah it is, the heat came much earlier than usual and is persisting.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:06 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,385,502 times
A few old pictures, from 1st of June, evening on by-roads of my county:

Old 06-14-2018, 08:45 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
photos of Northampton, Massachusetts. Rather active day weather-wise

nearby nature preserve

bike path is built on a utility right-of-way via eminent domain

nice flowering shrub on the path

Spoiler

Old 06-15-2018, 01:43 PM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
June 15, 2018: Went Hiking in Hemlock Hills/Pine Mountain in Ridgefield 20 miles from me.

A little about the spot:

"Ridgefield's Hemlock Hills, Pine Mountain and Lake Windwing forms one of the largest nature preserves in the Southwest portion of the state. Glacial activity has left numerous erratic boulders and small cliffs throughout the area. Featuring a wide variety of terrain it's a picturesque place and any ride here is bound to be memorable.

The area consists of meadows, woodlands, wetlands and steep ridges all traversed by great trails of varying difficulty".

I only did a small portion which I highlighted here.

And we're off.

Saw this toad near the path.. Fowlers Toad?

Then saw this snake. Not sure if its the typical Garter snake. Yellow and Black?

Closeup. Types of snakes in Connecticut

Left or Right?

Something huge caught my attention!

I estimated about 30 feet tall 15 foot wide.

Chipmonk

I heard a louder rustle and quickly looked ahead and saw this.. Hello Deer.

Thing was still as it can be wow. Until I kept moving on.

Lastly.... WOW!! It actually landed on the path 5 feet in front of me to grab an insect I believe and flew up onto a tree. Took me some tries to focus and get a clean shot. A Male Scarlet Tanager. Listen to its song here.

"Male Scarlet Tanagers are among the most blindingly gorgeous birds in an eastern forest in summer, with blood-red bodies set off by jet-black wings and tail. They’re also one of the most frustratingly hard to find as they stay high in the forest canopy singing rich, burry songs. "

It was the most wildlife I saw while hiking. Usually I see nothing. lol. I'll have to revisit again and check out the other trails. I didn't see any views or Lakes.

Total Hike Time: 1hr 50min (with 2 short breaks and picture takings)
Total Miles: 2.85
Total Calories Burned: 405
Elevation Gain: Less than 300 (770' was high point)
Air Temp: 63°F(17C)
5000' Temp: 44°F (7C)
Shorts and TShirt (Thankfully!)

Old 06-18-2018, 07:06 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ral31 View Post
Here's a crepe myrtle at my house.

I have a good number of unripened tomatoes right now.

Nobody does crepe myrtles like the South. We have them here, but they just don't get as big and full of blooms like down there. I particularly like the ones on the coast of South Carolina which are draped in spanish moss. Looks sooo cool.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:08 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
June 15, 2018: Went Hiking in Hemlock Hills/Pine Mountain in Ridgefield 20 miles from me.

A little about the spot:

"Ridgefield's Hemlock Hills, Pine Mountain and Lake Windwing forms one of the largest nature preserves in the Southwest portion of the state. Glacial activity has left numerous erratic boulders and small cliffs throughout the area. Featuring a wide variety of terrain it's a picturesque place and any ride here is bound to be memorable.

The area consists of meadows, woodlands, wetlands and steep ridges all traversed by great trails of varying difficulty".

I only did a small portion which I highlighted here.

And we're off.

Saw this toad near the path.. Fowlers Toad?

Then saw this snake. Not sure if its the typical Garter snake. Yellow and Black?

Closeup. Types of snakes in Connecticut

Left or Right?

Something huge caught my attention!

I estimated about 30 feet tall 15 foot wide.

Chipmonk

I heard a louder rustle and quickly looked ahead and saw this.. Hello Deer.

Thing was still as it can be wow. Until I kept moving on.

Lastly.... WOW!! It actually landed on the path 5 feet in front of me to grab an insect I believe and flew up onto a tree. Took me some tries to focus and get a clean shot. A Male Scarlet Tanager. Listen to its song here.

"Male Scarlet Tanagers are among the most blindingly gorgeous birds in an eastern forest in summer, with blood-red bodies set off by jet-black wings and tail. They’re also one of the most frustratingly hard to find as they stay high in the forest canopy singing rich, burry songs. "

It was the most wildlife I saw while hiking. Usually I see nothing. lol. I'll have to revisit again and check out the other trails. I didn't see any views or Lakes.

Total Hike Time: 1hr 50min (with 2 short breaks and picture takings)
Total Miles: 2.85
Total Calories Burned: 405
Elevation Gain: Less than 300 (770' was high point)
Air Temp: 63°F(17C)
5000' Temp: 44°F (7C)
Shorts and TShirt (Thankfully!)

What cool pics!! Love the Cardinal picture. Very colorful and detailed. thanks for sharing!!!

Old 06-19-2018, 08:36 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

How about lots of photos of the same lake? On different evenings. In Leverett, MA:

sunset another day

sunday night

tonight after two big thunderstorms. Evening was at almost 100% humidity and 73°F, was wisps of fog lined the hills.

another one a few minutes later; couldn't decide which is better

Spoiler

Old 06-19-2018, 01:49 PM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
June 19, 2018. Where I was today..

Beacon Falls, Connecticut..

Cool area around Rimmon Hill Road. About 600' elevation

Closer look at the cut out of homes on the east side of that hill

Just a neighborhood, nothing special

The hills around always make me wonder how the manage in the winter.

Cool Elm Spring Farm

You can almost choose any special effects and this barn would look nice. I chose Craquelur. Looks like a puzzle.

Not sure what this is. #100 on Route 67. Google Street View.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:

A little about the spot:

nice! after all your posts complaining you never see wildlife in your hikes, you get more wildlife on one hike than I think any post I've seen here. Never seen a tanager up close, haven't see a snake in a long time. That big rock you spot is of course a glacial erratic as your quote says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather