Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 08:26 PM

575 posts, read 339,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Indianapolis Indiana in my humble opinion definitely leans towards at least a cool four season climate
Couldn't find daily historical data on Indianapolis. Only monthly averages, and those provide very little insight and can be very misleading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
whether one prefers cold weather or warm weather is all in the eyes of the beholder.
It used to aggravate me dearly when people in Jersey bit*ed how cold it is.
And it was 50'F. PLUS 50 !!!

And they actually meant it

Anecdotally, I haven't heard a single complaint about the cold in Montana last winter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
USA having a cold climate?.....not really ....but keep in mind I’m in Canada...

There’s cold .....then there’s COLD
I'm sure there's plenty places that are real COLD in Canada.

Can you recommend few that would be within driving distance (2,000 - 3,000 km) from the US border in Montana ? Though, for something extraordinary, I'm sure a 10,000 km trip could be made...

I've read about villages that are in the shadow of the mountain for several months of the year, though if memory serves correct they're like that only in winter.

Can you think of some similar spots in your place ?

Old 07-13-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Can't drive there. Only accessible by plane...

Even though there's no historical data, the averages do indeed look promising: Average low of -33 in January sure sounds extremely appealing.

Too bad you gotta fly there, might as well be Antarctica....

Old 07-13-2018, 09:53 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post
I'm sure there's plenty places that are real COLD in Canada.

Can you recommend few that would be within driving distance (2,000 - 3,000 km) from the US border in Montana ? Though, for something extraordinary, I'm sure a 10,000 km trip could be made...

I've read about villages that are in the shadow of the mountain for several months of the year, though if memory serves correct they're like that only in winter.

Can you think of some similar spots in your place ?
I like Old Crow in northern Yukon....super cold winter and a suprising warm summer (for 67N)
also Fort Simpson, NWT, same thing, with an even warmer summer, as warm as Edmonton.

Also Telegraph Creek, BC ...at about 57N ...in a very deep canyon ...in a shadow during winter...
in the spectacular “Grand Canyon of the Stikine”...with a january as cold as Winnipeg,
and a july average high about 75F ...Environment Canada used to have
climate normals (1941-1970) for a weather station there.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:49 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
I think Prudhoe Bay, AK would be perfect for the OP. It is on American soil and so no visa required and you can drive there

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prudhoe_Bay,_Alaska

Old 07-14-2018, 01:33 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comm08 View Post
Never have seen a post by an actual white-walker until now.
No joke, is this guy serious? Let's see, where can I find the most miserable, uninhabitable place in the U.S. because upstate New York, one of the worst places in the world, is apparently not horrible enough for me. Hmm....

You got it great buddy, everywhere you love is probably the cheapest place to live because us humans prefer nice weather, i.e. warm all of the time, no snow, hardly any rain, and SUN!

Old 07-14-2018, 06:29 AM

543 posts, read 703,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
No joke, is this guy serious? Let's see, where can I find the most miserable, uninhabitable place in the U.S. because upstate New York, one of the worst places in the world, is apparently not horrible enough for me. Hmm....

You got it great buddy, everywhere you love is probably the cheapest place to live because us humans prefer nice weather, i.e. warm all of the time, no snow, hardly any rain, and SUN!
Ha Ha. Only a Yank from the North East US could be this crazy. Some also move to South Florida and say "summers aren't so bad here", when really they can't afford to keep two homes.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:05 AM

272 posts, read 184,230 times
Hot Blizzards? You literally sound like you should to Alaska or some where far up North.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:28 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Is this OP for real?

Old 07-14-2018, 09:05 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
Embarrass, MN usually has the coldest weather in the lower 48.

I used to live just south of there, and was accustomed to the T going below -30 several times per winter.

Duluth is a little warmer due to being on the lake; International Falls is a little warmer because it's not in a valley.

It's also a really nice area in which to live. Tower and Ely also get similar temperatures.

I've always thought that when it comes time to commit suicide I'll just drive up to that area (the East Range) in the heart of winter and drive down one of the gravel roads to nowhere, get very drunk, and peacefully freeze to death. Easily doable - several people do it each year by accident.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/...-in-embarrass/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather