Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 10:47 PM

575 posts, read 338,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by comm08 View Post
Although I call B.S. on the husky "walking on air" loving the extreme cold. If he does, it's because his paws are about to be frozen off, not out because of the joy of cold.
1. It's a "she", not "he"

2. She was barely 13-14 months old during our first winter here, so she jumped out of joy (though very shortly), basically each day, all day, but mostly when it was getting cold (e.g. below -30)

3. Since I spend 24/7 hours with her, I would argue that I actually feel and know what makes her happy

4. You clearly aren't familiar with a Siberian Husky breed, because then you would know, that when a husky ***** starts bitching (or is hurting, as you guessed wrong), it's absolutely unmissable. And yes, she also ******* a lot, each day. It's part of the Huskiness

5. One would have to be brutally mentally retarded to NOT comprehend the difference between her bitching and her happiness, but I guess it's hypothetically possible (just covering all my bases here, as I don't know much about you)

6. When it was -40'F here, and we got out, this is what happened when we stepped out:
- her face got absolutely ecstatic
- she stopped, looked back at me, her eyes started glowing, she coughed, took a deep breath
- started jumping in air, with all 4 paws, like she was on trampoline (this behavior reserved only for the rare, sheer happiness moments)
- started hauling my ass, through the dense storm, full speed (she really only did that like that just twice that winter)

We spent about an hour in the -40'F storm, and I can swear on my life, I have not seen her happier and more playful, catching snowflakes in the air, rolling in the snow, etc., ever.

I will upgrade my winter survival kit, and winterize the car better (chains, candles, gas container), and we will start proper Blizzard Chasing this winter. I wanna see if I can survive -40'F Blizzard for 2-3 hours, just walking through it, as 1 hour was surprisingly easy, even with subpar winter gear I had last winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 08:40 PM

47 posts, read 39,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
What place in the US averages 70f+ in January? Even Miami and Phoenix don't have averages that high. Hawaii is the only one I could think of but that doesn't really count. It's also a fairly big country so it makes sense we have several different types of climate.
Phoenix is about 12 degrees cooler than Miami in the coldest month, the reason why the annual temperature is nearly the same is because phoenix is in the desert giving it hotter summer temperatures. And there is key west Florida that has averages of 70 in January and it is in the contiguous us, there is more in the us in general if you count the us territory's.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:20 PM

135 posts, read 90,550 times
lol you are so comically over the top with your love of cold weather. For the average joe I'd say anything in the 20 F degree range is cold enough.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:45 AM

525 posts, read 279,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
Only a -78 record low? That is shorts and tshirt weather
That -78 record low was only the coldest temperature in US history until January 23rd, 1971 when Prospect Creek plummeted to -80 degrees. Those temperatures are insulated clothing weather to keep warm if you ask me.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:48 AM

525 posts, read 279,046 times
Certain parts of the US have a very cold climate, such as International Falls, Minnesota. Here in Arizona though, you'd only find cold climates at the highest elevations of the state. You definitely wouldn't find a cold climate in the lower elevations.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:31 AM

213 posts, read 174,971 times
The question of cold depends on a reference if it does not become totally abitrary, even more that there are people living in different climates that are almost nothing alike.
The ideal is to take a global average, considering population and area.
Minneapólis is undoubtedly very cold for half of the global population, disregarding the Russians.
I find this list well-represented: https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/temperature. I would define as cold, countries below 32F or 0C.
So yes, the US is cold.
Although private places average the average.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:42 AM

957 posts, read 1,132,549 times
Tenderfrost=snowtroller

Old 08-22-2018, 01:12 PM

575 posts, read 338,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springsux View Post
lol you are so comically over the top with your love of cold weather. For the average joe I'd say anything in the 20 F degree range is cold enough.
Half of my colleagues in Jersey would argue that anything below 50F is cold. I was initially laughing. Till it clicked, they just might be bloody serious. Which they were.

I'm not kidding. They would actually come to work in a jacket at 52F. Driving in a car. When asked what happened, they just shouted "man, it's cold out there!".

Used to freeze my brain in an uber-WTF moment for few minutes, to attempt to foolishly process that. I was never successful.

I also found it's very hard to take those people seriously. Inevitably, you question/filter everything that comes out of their mouth, even if it's work-related.

2 days ago we got a slight&short&sweet release from the Heat Grip and it was around 39 F at night. It was so amazing to walk my Husky in a light breeze, in Tshirt an shorts. It was a 60-degree difference to the previous day's noon. I am thankful that this climate has that, as Jersey didn't (it used to drop to 68 at night, yet humid).

Feels like sci-fi that it's still 6-8 weeks away till it's a daily occurrence... it's 95 tmrw...

Old 09-24-2018, 03:33 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauan Mateus Kubaski View Post
The question of cold depends on a reference if it does not become totally abitrary, even more that there are people living in different climates that are almost nothing alike.
The ideal is to take a global average, considering population and area.
Minneapólis is undoubtedly very cold for half of the global population, disregarding the Russians.
I find this list well-represented: https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/temperature. I would define as cold, countries below 32F or 0C.
So yes, the US is cold.
Although private places average the average.
I heard that people in Minneapolis experienced winters that are colder than what 96% of the world's population experience! Most of the exceptional 4% of the world with colder winters live in NE China, Russia, or Canada!

Old 09-26-2018, 06:22 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post
Half of my colleagues in Jersey would argue that anything below 50F is cold. I was initially laughing. Till it clicked, they just might be bloody serious. Which they were.

I'm not kidding. They would actually come to work in a jacket at 52F. Driving in a car. When asked what happened, they just shouted "man, it's cold out there!".

Used to freeze my brain in an uber-WTF moment for few minutes, to attempt to foolishly process that. I was never successful.

I also found it's very hard to take those people seriously. Inevitably, you question/filter everything that comes out of their mouth, even if it's work-related.
I couldn't agree with you more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
I heard that people in Minneapolis experienced winters that are colder than what 96% of the world's population experience! Most of the exceptional 4% of the world with colder winters live in NE China, Russia, or Canada!
Climate is physical geography, not human geography, therefore population is irrelevant to any notion of what climate is representative of the Earth's land as a whole (since we're not talking about the oceans here, which objectively is a different beast anyway). Land area percentiles would be a much better way to judge. Taiga is the world's largest biome of any kind by land area, covering 29% of world forest area, or 7 million square miles. Tundra alone accounts for an additional 4.5 million square miles globally, and an additional 6 million square miles is ice cap. So almost 18 million square miles of land has an arctic or subarctic climate, all of which is as cold or colder than any permanently inhabited location in Montana on an annual basis. This accounts for 30% of the entire world's land area. An additional 1-2 million square miles are probably desert or steppe climates of similar cold as the boreal forest, so we'll call it an even one third of global land area. Too many people underestimate just how huge an area of the world has a climate colder than pretty much anywhere in the contiguous United States.

The tropics as reckoned by latitude constitute 36% of total land area, and since tropical climate doesn't extend much beyond the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn overall and much of the tropics is moderated by altitude into a cooler climate, then the total land area of tropical climate can't possibly be much greater than 30%. The remaining 30-40% are accounted for by subtropical, temperate, and continental climates, in what appear to be roughly even proportions between each, though this is just a guess based on eyeballing maps so take that with a grain of salt.

Now, the average latitude of land mass on the Earth is 33 degrees from the equator and average altitude is 2700 feet. Average climate at those locations is very far from subarctic, but also far from tropical. So at first glance by land area there appears to be a relatively even split between warm, cold, and moderate climates at the global level. By land area winters averaging 32F (by daily mean, not afternoon highs) are certainly not much colder than the global average winter climate. For the third of global land area that's arctic or subarctic Minneapolis's climate would seem mild, and for the additional sixth of global land area required to make half they wouldn't be all that much colder than what they're used to. Of course all this depends on your point of view - to the warmest third or half of global land area Minneapolis would seem very cold indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by springsux View Post
Consider that the average Joe in the United States lives, depending on how you measure it, either in southern Indiana or southern Missouri, which drop to around 0F at night a few times per winter. Not exactly who I would consult for an opinion on gradations of subzero cold, though in all fairness there are substantial populations in the United States that live in areas that do drop well below zero at least occasionally. Besides, many people prefer much hotter climates than the average Joe does, and few consider that comical; I see no reason why cold should be different.

Last edited by Patricius Maximus; 09-26-2018 at 06:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather