U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 09:53 AM

175 posts, read 44,311 times

Advertisements

80F heat index is my exact threshold between 'hot' and 'not hot'.

Although if I'm doing any kind of exercise, 70F or higher with sunshine does feel hot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 10:18 AM

7,605 posts, read 9,798,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It depends whether the sun is shining, or not - with full sun, even the 60s can feel hot
True, I was in San Diego in May when it was in the 60s and sunny almost every day. It felt very warm in the sun and cool in shade.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:24 AM

18,307 posts, read 15,400,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
True, I was in San Diego in May when it was in the 60s and sunny almost every day. It felt very warm in the sun and cool in shade.
I don't think sun is factored into any sort of heat index, yet we all know the sensation of the sun disappearing behind a cloud.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:39 AM

2,255 posts, read 796,500 times
No temperature measurements take direct sun exposure into account because it would be by default an unreliable measurement.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
No temperature measurements take direct sun exposure into account because it would be by default an unreliable measurement.
Not including sunlight can make a nonsense of heat indexes though -an example would be an online forecast that includes a "feels like" temperature, being made completely redundant by the presence/absence of strong sun

About the hottest day I can remember here last summer, had a "feels like" temperature of 23C, an actual temperature of (around) 26C, yet was one of the most unpleasant days I've experienced for a while.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
33,155 posts, read 60,234,489 times
For me the 60s are best, 65 perfect, so 70s are hot, 80s barely tolerable, and 90+ is stay inside with AC weather. Here we have had an odd spring, 92 one day, 82 the next, 62 the next. Now it’s officially summer, and it’s 54 and light drizzle today at nearly noon.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:33 PM

80 posts, read 47,447 times
Only if it’s humid. Otherwise 70s 80s and even 90s can be nice if the humidity is low.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:47 PM

22,301 posts, read 8,853,061 times
70s not at all, 80s only if the dewpoint is 65°F+

Old 06-23-2019, 05:18 PM

2,255 posts, read 796,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Not including sunlight can make a nonsense of heat indexes though -an example would be an online forecast that includes a "feels like" temperature, being made completely redundant by the presence/absence of strong sun

About the hottest day I can remember here last summer, had a "feels like" temperature of 23C, an actual temperature of (around) 26C, yet was one of the most unpleasant days I've experienced for a while.

I've never been a fan of the "feels like" temperatures and ignore them. There's a specific scientific standard for how to measure temperatures, everything else is just window dressing. They try to 'science' it up by using factors like humidity and wind, but it doesn't change the fact that "felt" temperature is going to be highly subjective and based on various circumstances that are extremely variable (a skinny person may not feel as hot as a heavy-set individual for example). It's a gimmick.

In general the idea that it's gonna be hotter when you're in the sun for any duration of time than it would be in the shade seems pretty widely held knowledge, and people can take that into consideration when planning their activities. So I don't think there's a big need here.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I've never been a fan of the "feels like" temperatures and ignore them. There's a specific scientific standard for how to measure temperatures, everything else is just window dressing. They try to 'science' it up by using factors like humidity and wind, but it doesn't change the fact that "felt" temperature is going to be highly subjective and based on various circumstances that are extremely variable (a skinny person may not feel as hot as a heavy-set individual for example). It's a gimmick.

In general the idea that it's gonna be hotter when you're in the sun for any duration of time than it would be in the shade seems pretty widely held knowledge, and people can take that into consideration when planning their activities. So I don't think there's a big need here.
There's no need at all -just making the point the sunshine is just as relevant as humidity for dramatically increasing the effect of temperature.

Wind is a little different imo, as windchill is more likely to be hazardous than humidity or sunshine alone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or