Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:59 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ooooh, some places have cold weather for 4 months... yeah... real horrible. Sure beats the gloomy/rain/drizzle/crap that the PacNW gets most of the year. Its been drizzly the last 2 days here and I was about to pull my hair out, I dont know how you guys put up with that HELL up there.
Winter in the great lakes area (Chicago, Minnesota, Wisconsin) is the definition of Hell. So what, its cloudy and drizzly in the PNW but at least you can go outside without losing a limb.

Last edited by toughguy; 04-10-2008 at 10:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 04:19 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Winter in the great lakes area (Chicago, Minnesota, Wisconsin) is the definition of Hell. So what, its cloudy and drizzly in the PNW but at least you can go outside without losing a limb.
The thing is, you can dress for the cold and go outside and enjoy it for hours on end. The only time you might potentially get frostbite is if youre outside unprotected for extended periods of time, and if you do that, youre stupid to begin with. I counted 4 days this year in Chicagoland where the temps went into the negative range (which is dangerous to be outside in for too long). 4 days. Now, the rest of the winter hovered anywhere from 20 to 65 degrees, which is completely fine to be outside in. I took my son sledding 3 times this year, each time was snowing and in the 30s, and we were perfectly fine. One time we were out there for almost 5 hours and I was actually sweating from walking up that daggone hill all day long.

What do the kids do in the Pac NW for fun in winter? Slog around in muddy, drenched, soggy yards each year? I feel bad that theyll never experience sledding or building a snowman or riding a snowmobile around or taking a horse-drawn sleigh ride. No sir, the definition of hell is having to don a raincoat or umbrella in the PacNW for most of the year, living under gray gloom and not seeing the sun for weeks/months on end, and not being able to partake in classic winter activities that most kids in the rest of the country do.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
The thing is, you can dress for the cold and go outside and enjoy it for hours on end. The only time you might potentially get frostbite is if youre outside unprotected for extended periods of time, and if you do that, youre stupid to begin with. I counted 4 days this year in Chicagoland where the temps went into the negative range (which is dangerous to be outside in for too long). 4 days. Now, the rest of the winter hovered anywhere from 20 to 65 degrees, which is completely fine to be outside in. I took my son sledding 3 times this year, each time was snowing and in the 30s, and we were perfectly fine. One time we were out there for almost 5 hours and I was actually sweating from walking up that daggone hill all day long.

What do the kids do in the Pac NW for fun in winter? Slog around in muddy, drenched, soggy yards each year? I feel bad that theyll never experience sledding or building a snowman or riding a snowmobile around or taking a horse-drawn sleigh ride. No sir, the definition of hell is having to don a raincoat or umbrella in the PacNW for most of the year, living under gray gloom and not seeing the sun for weeks/months on end, and not being able to partake in classic winter activities that most kids in the rest of the country do.
Well its a good thing that the sun does make its appearances, even in the depths of winter. This February we had 2 solid weeks straight of sun and upper 40's weather. You are totally exaggerating the amount of gloom and moisture we have to deal with. Yes, there can be stretches of 1-2 weeks where it's straight overcast with off and on rain, but typically we will get a day or two of reprieve a week, with at least partly sunny skies. Also, we do get snow, in fact it snowed three seperate times this winter. Yes, the snow typically only lasts a day or two, but I have also taken my son sledding. If the weather here was as bad as you are trying to portray, there wouldn't be 4 million people living in the Puget Sound region. Obviously we each have our preferences, so we'll have to agree to disagree. I prefer not to deal with oppressive arctic winds and lake effect snow. I like the milder winters here, despite the long stretches of cloudiness and rain.

Last edited by toughguy; 04-10-2008 at 04:53 PM..

Old 04-11-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
If the weather here was as bad as you are trying to portray, there wouldn't be 4 million people living in the Puget Sound region. Obviously we each have our preferences, so we'll have to agree to disagree. I prefer not to deal with oppressive arctic winds and lake effect snow. I like the milder winters here, despite the long stretches of cloudiness and rain.
Annnnnnd if the weather here was as bad as youre trying to portray, why is our population over double yours? And yes, we'll just have to agree to disagree. You might not like cold and snowy winters, I despise wet and dreary winters.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:22 AM

120 posts, read 461,185 times
Quote:
Annnnnnd if the weather here was as bad as youre trying to portray, why is our population over double yours? And yes, we'll just have to agree to disagree. You might not like cold and snowy winters, I despise wet and dreary winters.
Yea its funny you mention that because thier population is actually increasing, this is something that Chicagoland hasn't experienced in years, maybe the people over there are waking up and realizing that thier weather sucks then hightailing it over to the puget sound?

Old 04-11-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickmystir700 View Post
Yea its funny you mention that because thier population is actually increasing, this is something that Chicagoland hasn't experienced in years, maybe the people over there are waking up and realizing that thier weather sucks then hightailing it over to the puget sound?
And its apparent you dont know a dang thing when it comes to population growth statistics.

Lets see... Kendall County and Will County in Chicagoland have been in the top 5 fastest growing counties in the nation:
Collier doesn̢۪t make Top 100 fastest growing counties, Lee does : South Lee : Naples Daily News (broken link)

Chicago is #7 on the list for fastest growing metros:
4 Texas Cities Among Top 10 in Growth - AOL News (broken link)

And Chicago also lays claim to some of the fastest growing cities in the nation, as well as the most corporate relocation projects and corporate expansion projects. Still bitter that Boeing left Seattle for Chicago or something?

Old 04-11-2008, 06:37 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Moderator cut: OK, let's just remember to discuss and not dispute.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:24 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
I woud think that North Dakota has got to be the harshist. But the "Lake effect" snow in Ill, Ind, NY and around there has got to suck.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I woud think that North Dakota has got to be the harshist. But the "Lake effect" snow in Ill, Ind, NY and around there has got to suck.
IL doesnt get nearly as much lake effect snow as MI, IN, OH, etc. We're on the good side of the lakes.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:19 PM

Whoa Steve-o no need to get so defensive. London has a pretty similar climate to the pnw and it blows Chicago out of the water. Let's face it Chicago is a great city but it's known for having one of the worst climates in the country. People love it despite the weather, same as Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather