Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 01:13 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I absolutely LOVE the holiday season and it's just not right if it's not cold.
That's exactly why I HATED Christmas 2015, and why Christmas 2016 kind of pissed me off too. At least last Christmas was normal, and I hope that this Christmas will be too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I swear, I have never seen so many cold lovers outside of this forum. Usually people in real life like comfortable temperatures, not record cold with tons of snow.
Funny you only mention "record cold with tons of snow" as an example of uncomfortable weather, and not "record heat with drought and wildfires," especially given what's going on in your region of the country right now. At least I won't lose everything I've ever worked for in a blizzard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
Then you haven't truly lived!!!

Just Imagine it is December 20th and the high for the day was 28 F. It snowed 3 inches but the snow was on the dryer side forming beautiful crystals with a light wind around 8 mph gusting occasionally to 12 MPH from the NW. It's 9 o'clock and quiet with a temp around 22 F. It starts to snow lightly and very fine dry snow that forms sparking crystals when it passes though the light of the street light. You are walking on cleared path and the sky, despite the light snow is clear in the southeast and stars can be seen as the clouds began to roll in. You don't feel cold because you know how to dress for this weather and are perfectly dressed for light exercise in the perfect temperature range. The snow tickles your faces and you can hear the snow lightly striking your hood. The air is crisp and despite what other will tell you, it almost has taste that feels wonderful to breath in. You feel a gust of wind and look up and see the snow swirling above you and sparkling as if it is alive. The moon is out but the clouds are about to obscure it The virgin snow has yet to be disturbed and the moonlight flashes on the crystals of snow that looks to be almost blue. If only you could freeze this moment...

Yeah, who in their right mind would like that. I've had many moments just like that and maybe you will someday. That and other cool things about winter is why many of us love it.
I like the kind of dry, granular snow you're talking about. You don't need to plow the roads, and you can sweep it off your sidewalk. The only drawback is that you can't make a snowman with it.

By the way, have you ever noticed how beverages are never "refreshingly hot"? They're always "refreshingly cold." The same goes for air, really. Cold air is refreshing; hot air is not. If I'm working outside on a hot day, then I can jump right into whatever I'm doing, but after a few hours I'm physically drained. On the other hand, if I'm working outside on a cold day, then it takes some time to get going, but once I'm going, I can keep going and going and going...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 01:21 AM

129 posts, read 101,709 times
Not for us and all the 125,000+ senior citizens here. We live in the tropics and enjoy the holidays as much as we used to when we lived up north. We hate cold weather and therefore the holidays are nicer when it is just 50-70 degrees outside. All we remember are Halloweens when it was so cold out that the kids had to wear their costumes over coats. Christmases when it took me hours to get to my parents house due to snow storms. Once we followed a plow for 5 exits on a Turnpike. Going out for New Year's Eve without having to check your coats is nice as is not worrying if it would snow and prevent you from going out.

Then there were the near heart attacks from shoveling snow which in the end was the final straw for me. I have come to love a Plan Tree with Xmas lights on it or eating a Thanksgiving meal on our Lanai.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:14 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
Then you haven't truly lived!!!

Just Imagine it is December 20th and the high for the day was 28 F. It snowed 3 inches but the snow was on the dryer side forming beautiful crystals with a light wind around 8 mph gusting occasionally to 12 MPH from the NW. It's 9 o'clock and quiet with a temp around 22 F. It starts to snow lightly and very fine dry snow that forms sparking crystals when it passes though the light of the street light. You are walking on cleared path and the sky, despite the light snow is clear in the southeast and stars can be seen as the clouds began to roll in. You don't feel cold because you know how to dress for this weather and are perfectly dressed for light exercise in the perfect temperature range. The snow tickles your faces and you can hear the snow lightly striking your hood. The air is crisp and despite what other will tell you, it almost has taste that feels wonderful to breath in. You feel a gust of wind and look up and see the snow swirling above you and sparkling as if it is alive. The moon is out but the clouds are about to obscure it The virgin snow has yet to be disturbed and the moonlight flashes on the crystals of snow that looks to be almost blue. If only you could freeze this moment...

Yeah, who in their right mind would like that. I've had many moments just like that and maybe you will someday. That and other cool things about winter is why many of us love it.
Ah that was a perfect description one the reasons (of many) that I love winter

Ugh, but today is supposed to be 84 and sticky

Old 08-15-2018, 05:57 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I grew up in Southwest Florida and it just never seemed like Christmas without cold weather and snow. Maybe that's why I never liked the holiday as I became an adult. When I moved back to New York in my early 20's, the holidays were more enjoyable and I loved autumn the best, followed by spring and summer.

Now back in here in Florida, every day is pretty much the same. Some years we may need the heat while putting up the Christmas tree but most years the a/c is on for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's hard to get in the mood wearing shorts and a tank top when it's sunny and 80 degrees out. I hate it but my whole family is here now so here is where I stay.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:59 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,648,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
That's exactly why I HATED Christmas 2015, and why Christmas 2016 kind of pissed me off too. At least last Christmas was normal, and I hope that this Christmas will be too.
Yes, I know what you mean. For Christmas of 2015, we went to south Louisiana where family lives. They had the central a/c on in the house because it was so hot and muggy. Yuk. I'll never miss the weather down there.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:02 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
I used to think it couldn’t be Christmas without cold and snow on the ground until we visited my in-laws in central FL a few weeks before Christmas one year. We liked being able to walk around in a light jacket and look at lights and the decorations and the sunnier weather. I was surprised it wasn’t going to be awful like I had assumed. That trip opened my eyes.

In NY, after the leaves fell, I disliked that long dark slide into the New Year with shorter days, colder weather and the bleak landscape. October through December were my least favorite months there. My garden was cleaned up and everything brought inside in preparation for winter. At least snow brightened things up. The holidays helped and Christmas was the bright point with the decorations and lights. I’ve always loved the Christmas season and thought cold and snow had to be part of it.

We moved to coastal FL to be near the grandkids a few years ago. It didn’t take long to appreciate putting up Christmas lights in our shorts and tee shirts, having Christmas dinner out on the lanai by the pool, watching the hour and half long annual Christmas parade at night in town and viewing the decorated boats on parade on the Intercoastal while picnicking. It’s a different Christmas than what I grew up with, but I quickly learned to appreciate the differences. It’s all about the good feelings that comes from being with family for me and warm weather is a bonus.

If Christmas isn’t complete without that Currier and Ives scene, being in a warm climate will be disappointing when cold and snow is needed for the perfect Christmas. The commercialization of Christmas has deeply ingrained what the season should look like for many people. For me, I make the most out of the season/weather no matter where I am, but I like taking the Christmas tree and decorations down and being able to kayak or bike in January.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-15-2018 at 06:25 AM..

Old 08-15-2018, 06:07 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Nope. I despise the "holidays" in every conceivable way. They absolutely disgust me. That seed was planed in my early teen years and has never faltered. If "holidays" ceased to exist, I'd be the happier for it.

But I absolutely love fall and winter (when living someplace that Gets a fall and winter). Temps below freezing, lots of snow that stays on the ground from mid October though mid April, just makes me feel good. Makes me want to be outside doing things, enjoying the season. About the only thing that dampers that is when the winds pick up above about 10mph. Still, beats the snot out of 90+ temps and 90+ humidity, and needing to run A/C in Dec/Jan when there are more than 2 people in the house.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:55 AM
46H

1,651 posts, read 1,398,714 times
I am always warm, so for me, the more moderate, cooler temps of fall lead to my favorite 3 months - Jan-Mar. It also is ski season. These months are the best time of year for me.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:03 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,508,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
My favourite time of year is coming up; mid-fall through earlywinter. October, November and December. I love these months for many reasons. The weather, the leaves changing and falling, the first snow and frosts but ALSO the holidays.

I love the holiday season. Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas are the best. It's great that they're about evenly spread apart. I love everything they offer. From costumes, scary movies, handing out candy, carving pumpkins in Halloween to all the food and familial closeness of Thanksgiving, to decorating for Christmas, buying presents (holiday shopping isnt stressful for me... it's very fun) baking cookies, setting up the tree, going sledding and ice skating, having hot coco and opening presents on Christmas morning. And listening to Christmas music. (Not before Black Friday tho!) I just love the final 3 months.

I think my preference for cold weather has a lot to do with that. Though not only. I mean I still like January and February as well and I love the feeling of cold and cold weather in general, granted it's in the appropriate season.

I notice a lot of people who are drawn to perpetually warm climates arent big on the holidays. They may not hate them, but they are seen as an annual event that comes and goes where as to me it's a big excitement and a season I look forward to. Note this doesnt mean that those who love the holidays prefer the cold but it seems that they tolerate it better than those who dont care for them. Case in point; my friend's mom who LOVES Christmas, and doesnt mind the occasional snowfall and mildly cold weather but wouldnt be able to handle a northern winter.

Curious to know what y'all think. And before I get comments like "well lots of tropical countries celebrate Christmas too" I know that... but I grew up in Florida and warm Christmases just dont feel right. That's one reason I havent spent a Christmas down there since 2013.... when it was 78 at NIGHT! Yuck!
I am exactly the same way.

Big plus for winter - no mosquitoes (or other pesky insects!)

I've lived in Canada all my life, though, and could never live in a warm place. Never.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:11 AM

872 posts, read 998,915 times
Grew up in New England and I like the white Christmas and cool Thanksgivings but really like the warm days of winter here in Phoenix It gets really busy and active here starting around mid October to the end of April. The sun/heat is not as much as an obstacle as the snow, rain and freezing rain are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather