Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2019, 11:17 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

I call this "what a shame" post.

Euro12z Friday morning on left, Saturday morning on right... An Upper Low in January and guess what................

Airmass at the mid levels aren't even below freezing anywhere under it. These Upper Lows especially in January should be producing snow and snow squalls under it.

Maybe the mountains in the Southeast sees some snow above 4000' but this is a sad look right here.
Why, you ask? Scroll down....

Lets back track and see the flow tomorrow morning... Ignore the colors (anomaly), look at the flow.... Pacific Airmass! PACIFIC IS KILLING WINTER.. And that SER! Too much warm air travelling across the U.S. Flow is too fast as well. Troughs aren't digging down. Arctic and Canada can't come visiting. Pacific Winning and I'm giving up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 11:28 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
You are only looking at things from a Northeast perspective, as usual.

Texas is much colder than normal right now. It's currently 36 and heavy rain right now at 12:30 noon. Snow in mountains of NM and AZ.

A big rain system is heading towards CA. These big events mean winter is quite exciting in the Southwest and West Coast.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Texas is much colder than normal right now. It's currently 36 and heavy rain right now at 12:30 noon. Snow in mountains of NM and AZ.
I was talking about this Thurs-Saturday.. That cold air is gone after today. Was an interesting persistent trough though.

Quote:

A big rain system is heading towards CA. These big events mean winter is quite exciting in the Southwest and West Coast.

I live in the Northeast & unfortunately I don't get paid to post so my time focuses on the Northeast mostly. Glad you are active though because I admit it's nice to read stuff about the West and your region. I really do appreciate it!

Glad they are getting storms and precip, it's winter though and that excitement out there is ruining our excitement here. lol

Old 01-02-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Ugh this last month has SUCKED. When will it end? Im not ready to throw in the towel, but it's ridiculous. There wasn't even snow in Lake placid over new years, just got back after being there a week skiing.

Kinda sad now when (or if) we get snowy in February, Spring will be around the corner. . Or maybe Cold and Snow will happen in March and April again.

For now.......... Nope.

https://twitter.com/ryanhanrahan/sta...84186019057665

Old 01-02-2019, 12:30 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,738,179 times
Quote:

Not up here. No snow up here yet. I mean I know is kinda rare here but we’ve had it the past couple years by now anyway.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:54 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
I saw some photos from Tucson and it was all covered in snow

Old 01-02-2019, 01:23 PM

29,520 posts, read 19,612,482 times
Any hope??

https://twitter.com/weatherbell/stat...88385574248463

Old 01-02-2019, 01:41 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,773,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I saw some photos from Tucson and it was all covered in snow
Yep

Old 01-02-2019, 02:00 PM

Current Map. Little dip in the Midwest will come pushing east. Not digging far south and not crazy cold inside that little dig but cold enough for snow in New England tonight and tomorrow Light snow. No big storm because the southern branch is staying separate. They needed to merge to blow up a storm. Jet stream needs to dig south much more for a good blizzard somewhere in the East

Cold day in Maine. Hot day in Florida. Which corner would you rather be in today? lol

Here are the storm tracks. Separate. I see you Cali.

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wwd/winter_wx.shtml#lows

Old 01-02-2019, 02:25 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I was talking about this Thurs-Saturday.. That cold air is gone after today. Was an interesting persistent trough though.

I live in the Northeast & unfortunately I don't get paid to post so my time focuses on the Northeast mostly. Glad you are active though because I admit it's nice to read stuff about the West and your region. I really do appreciate it!

Glad they are getting storms and precip, it's winter though and that excitement out there is ruining our excitement here. lol
Yeah but when you were getting record snow the West was in an extended drought. Give and take...

Also, northern Maine and Quebec are bitterly cold right now. Montreal is in the teens today. The cold is there, you just happen to be on the milder side for a change.

Personally I'll be happy when this trough lifts out of here. Today 36 and rain, tonight 37 and rain. Tomorrow 49 and rain. Friday 62 and sun, Saturday 66 and sun. Finally the bad weather will be gone soon. Lake Travis is up over a foot from this rain event so that is good news. But I'm starting to get cabin fever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather